while testing blake's fix for #69204, I noticed this. it should not be as slow as it is. as blake pointed out, just clicking between panes is slow, too.
updating summary. I'm sure this is related to other performance problems we have. accepting.
If Netscape is hiring, I'm available, if they can pay me. I can and will crunch this sucker 15%-35% and make it real fast! But not for free! Most friendly, HJ.
Dude, what are you smoking? Settle down a little! :-)
See bliz's post in n.p.m.performance: "I've noticed that performance problems seem to be back when switching between frames in mail/news again. For example on my PII 400 on the laptop it takes a full 2 seconds to switch focus from the mail message pane to the folder list pane. Are people aware of this? --Chris"
adding blizzard to the cc list so he knows we are working on it.
Well, the consensus in the thread seems to be that it's due to the enabling of style context sharing and other things that are out of mail's control.
nominating to get on radar
we should look into this. marking nsbeta1+ and moving to mozilla0.8
I'm not seeing this anymore. bliz, are you seeing it? did the cause of it get fixed? cc'ing attinasi.
I think that the extreme slowness that this bug was opened against got fixed. However, I think that on this PII 400 that switching panes is still really, really slow. It takes ~1.5 seconds here which is still a long time for a UI to respond to a simple focus change.
This probably speeded up when I turned on the FastCache (tm) in the style system. I think general style resolution sped up by like 10 times in the thread-pane ( information from anecdotal sources only, not a scientific survey). If it still seems too slow, you can turn off style sharing and see if it is any faster: set the env. var. moz_disable_style_sharing=1 and restart Moz - if it isconsiderably slower with sharing on then please let me know.
The last time I checked there wasn't a big speed difference between no style sharing and using the style cache. That's isn't what I'm complaining about. I'm just saying that even with that speed increase, it's still to slow on many reasonably powered machines. Focus switching in the mail pane is probably one of the best examples of performance problems that I can think of.
I getcha - I didn't mean to sound defensive, really ;) There are a couple of more optimizations I need to make to help speed up style resolution in general, which apparently is the bottleneck for tree controls. They are covered in bug 53620, bug 53796 and bug 62895. Hopefully when these are addressed it will help speed up the mailnews client a bit. However, there may be other performance problems that are making focus shifting slow: I am only aware of the style resolution issues.
perf, she's all mine, baby!
moving to mozilla0.9
*** Bug 69353 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
marking nsbeta1- and moving to future milestone.
This is still a significant problem for me on the latest nightly builds. If I create a new message and try to tab or click between the "To", "Subject", or "Message body" fields in the mail composer, the delay is unbearable. Perhaps up to 2 seconds sometime, just to tab! This makes using the mailer awful clunky. I hope someone is still working on this. I doubt you will get many mail converts otherwise. Let alone, it really annoys me. :^)
WFM - win XP, all is instantaneous what about linux?
I see that this Bug is from 2000 and was resolved in Mozilla, as I never had problems on switching tabs un my 500Mhz-machine (I'm able to go trough more than 5 tabs in a second, even with >20 tabs) But in SEAMONKEY 1.0 the problem reappears: tab switching needs >1 sec!! Its the only problem i've encountered switching to seamonkey, all the other changes are damn good and useful! Thank you all!
(In reply to comment #20) ...I forgot my system's specs: Seamonkey 1.0 on Win98SE on an Athlon 550MHz. > I see that this Bug is from 2000 and was resolved in Mozilla, as I never had > problems on switching tabs un my 500Mhz-machine (I'm able to go trough more > than 5 tabs in a second, even with >20 tabs) > But in SEAMONKEY 1.0 the problem reappears: tab switching needs >1 sec!! > > Its the only problem i've encountered switching to seamonkey, all the other > changes are damn good and useful! Thank you all! >
WFM. Please reopen if you still see this can can cite a specific set of steps to be tested.