Add Scots Gaelic (gd) to all-locales

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

enhancement
RESOLVED FIXED
9 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: fios, Assigned: Fallen)

Tracking

Details

Hi guys, I'd like to get Scots Gaelic (gd) added to all-locales for Lightning (I've finished translating the Sunbird files and just discovered I need to move over to Lightning). 

Thanks
Severity: normal → enhancement
Component: General → Build Config
OS: Windows XP → All
QA Contact: general → build
Hardware: x86 → All
Summary: Adding locale → Add Scots Gaelic (gd) to all-locales
I'd be grateful for some pointers, if that means I have to ask the l10n team to do something - they sort of sent me over here to you guys :)
Based on previous bugs like Bug 599586 I think the following should be done
1) you commit the initial gd/calendar/ translation to the repositories above
2) we add your locale to calendar/locales/all-locales to enable nightly builds
Michael, when we emailed I wasn't aware that there wasn't yet a calendar directory in your locale, sorry.

Stefan is right, this directory needs to exist with an initial translation. The structure of the directory is similar to other apps and should match the structure of comm-central/calendar/locales/en-US.

Then just fill in your translated strings and commit. 

calendar/
 - defines.inc - contains contributor data
 - extra-jar.mn - stub file, can be copied from a different locale, i.e. sr.
 - lightning-l10n.js - extra preferences for your locale, default weekday start
 - sunbird-l10n.js - obsolete, just copy from lightning-l10n.js
 installer/ - directory for Sunbird installer, probably not needed atm.
 updater/ - directory for Sunbird update process, probably not needed atm.
 chrome/ - important files, should all be translated.

It could be that installer/updater directories need to be there to satisfy compare-locales though.

Let us know when things are committed, then we can add the files.
Right I think I've committed to l10n-central/gd. I haven't done so for l10n-mozilla-1.9.2/gd/ - just in case I got it wrong, saves backing it out again!
Added gd to comm-central all-locales in rev 83d83966d393. You should have a build some time after the next nightly.
I'm having trouble getting it to run properly on Tb 3.1 or Shredder, a lot of the Gaelic text/menu just isn't there. I'll try the next nightly, perhaps there was something wrong with the first one.
Ok, working on Shredder now. I reckon that means we can close this particular thread.

I'm confident that I'll be ready with a proofread version for the release of Tb Next to which Lightning is tied I assume? Is there a bugsheet we need to work through?
If you don't want translation for comm-1.9.2, then we can close this bug. If so, then please check in a calendar translation on l10n-mozilla-1.9.2, comment here, and we'll add your locale to all-locales on comm-1.9.2

Admittedly, the next release will be off comm-central though, so a comm-1.9.2 localization is not strictly needed.

All bugs that require strings are checked in, so you'll just need to translate and proofread those that are currently in the tree. If this situation changes, you'll get note on mozilla.dev.l10n.
Ah right, that's why it doesn't work in Tb 3.1

I didn't realise there was the option of releasing before Next. I've just committed to l10n-mozilla-1.9.2/releases, as I'm fairly confident that the translation is broadly spot on. It'll probably take me a week or so to play around with it, so let's keep this open for now

Thanks!
I've just pushed gd to comm-1.9.2 all-locales (rev 9b09989f5eae), a build should show up at:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/latest-comm-1.9.2-l10n/

after the next successful comm-1.9.2 nightly build. I'll close this bug as soon as the builds show up, this is all that needs to be done from our side. You can fix any localization issues by yourself afterwards, sign-offs will be done separately when we are officially in string freeze.
Ok, seems to be working fine - I've also stolen some time and done the proofing, I've uploaded a final set of tweaks (for now) which means that I'm likely to be happy to move on going live once we get the next build.

I tried signing off one of the earlier builds but get a message saying "Signoff for Lightning 1.0 Beta 3 Scottish Gaelic (gd) could not be added - Milestone is not open for edits" - is that an issue or just down to the fact Lightning is half way between being an app and a standalone program?

What do I need to do next so we can release? Is there a bugsheet we need to work through, webparts and all that?
(In reply to comment #13)
> I tried signing off one of the earlier builds but get a message saying "Signoff
> for Lightning 1.0 Beta 3 Scottish Gaelic (gd) could not be added - Milestone is
> not open for edits" - is that an issue or just down to the fact Lightning is
> half way between being an app and a standalone program?
We have not opened signoffs yet, this will happen in the next days. I will announce on mozilla.dev.l10n and the blog.


> What do I need to do next so we can release? Is there a bugsheet we need to
> work through, webparts and all that?
As long as the lightning-gd.xpi is translated as you expect it, there is nothing left to do other than wait for further announcements. You might want to file a bug in Calendar/Website to add a translation for the addons.mozilla.org page, but I think it makes more sense after we've created the release notes for 1.0b3 and the texts are final. For that bug just attach a text file with the translated texts, as this needs to happen manually.

Closing this bug since lightning-gd.xpi is available on both branches. Let me know if you have further questions :)
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Assignee: nobody → philipp
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.