Javascript applet.isActive() is undefined

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

()

Core
Plug-ins
RESOLVED FIXED
8 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: Pascal von Rickenbach, Unassigned)

Tracking

({regression})

1.9.2 Branch
x86
Windows 7
regression
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

8 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.14) Gecko/20110218 Firefox/3.6.14
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.14) Gecko/20110218 Firefox/3.6.14

With the new release (3.6.14) our Java applet integration failed. We test when the applet is loaded by getting the dom-element and then calling the isActive()-function. This function should return true or false eventually. However, with the new release the functions stays 'undefined' forever.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.include an applet inside your page
2.poll if the applet is ready in JavaScript via the isActive()-function
3.
Pascal, did it work in the previous version?
is that 3.6.13 or some other version?

If you start Firefox from a console window, do you see any error messages?

The only Java-related change I know of in .14 is bug 620773.
Someone else also reported a regression there: bug 620773 comment 34.
Version: unspecified → 3.6 Branch
(Reporter)

Comment 2

8 years ago
Mats, thanks for the quick answer. It worked in the previous version (3.6.13). I tested a bit more and discovered that the bug only appears after a page refresh. The following exception is thrown:

Exception in thread "main" netscape.javascript.JSException: Plugin instance for
applet ID 1 was already released
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.LiveConnectSupport.getInfo(Unknown Source)
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.LiveConnectSupport.shutdown(Unknown Source)
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMInstance.unregisterApplet(Unknown Source)
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMInstance.recycleAppletID(Unknown Source)
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMManager.recycleAppletID(Unknown Source)
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.MozillaPlugin.stopApplet(Unknown Source)
        at sun.plugin2.main.server.MozillaPlugin.destroy(Unknown Source)

It seems as if the applet is not properly disposed on page refresh, what do you think?
Steven, this looks like a regression in 3.6.14 ?
Component: General → Plug-ins
Keywords: regression
Product: Firefox → Core
QA Contact: general → plugins
Version: 3.6 Branch → 1.9.2 Branch
> The only Java-related change I know of in .14 is bug 620773.
> Someone else also reported a regression there: bug 620773 comment
> 34.

Actually I suspect this problem was triggered by the patch for bug
611910, which also first appeared (on the 1.9.2 branch) in FF 3.6.14.

The patch for bug 611910 landed on the 1.9.2 branch on 2010-11-22, so
it will appear in nightlies dated 2010-11-23 or later.  (Bug 611910 is
a security patch, so it doesn't have a helpful description in the
pushlog.)

The patch for bug 620773 landed on the 1.9.2 branch on 2011-01-10.

Someone please test with the relevant nightlies, to find the
regression range.
Whether or not this is a regression from the patches for bug 611910 or
bug 620773, we need a publicly accessible testcase that reproduces the
problem.  Otherwise it's unlikely that we'll be able to fix it.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

8 years ago
I have set up a testcase at:
http://testcases.realservers.info/appletTest.html
(Reporter)

Comment 7

8 years ago
The issue is fixed with the 3.6.15 update.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.