If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

User reporting high memory use with FF4




7 years ago
7 years ago


(Reporter: jrconlin, Unassigned)


Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)




7 years ago
Received the following complaint:
I was talking about working set memory on Twitter. Firefox 4 is using 774MB tonight, with no more heavy use than I put Firefox 3 under and never saw this kind of usage after half a day.


That's after running since 8am, with no more than 5 tabs running at a time. Mostly from Newsvine.com (regular posting and interaction), Gmail (as an "app" tab), and a few other transient tabs (HuffPost, NYTimes, Google News, etc).

If you'd like more detailed information, let me know what you need and I'll get it.

User is Paul Tenny

Some additional info regarding his platform:

OS: Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

Extensions enabled:
  Adblock Plus 1.3.3
  Greasemonkey 0.9.1
  Java Quick Starter 1.0
  Mozilla Archive FOrmat 1.0b3.0
  Pearl Crescent Page Saver Basic 2.6.1
  Sothink Web Video Downloader for Firefox 6.1
  YSlow 2.1.0

Extensions disabled (some because they aren't compatible with Firefox 4, some because I don't use them):
  bit.ly preview 1.272
  Digg Toolbar for Firefox 2.0.2
  Firebug 1.6.2
  Google Desktop Indexer 5.9.0911
  OneClick YouTube Downloader 1.0.4
  RECAP 0.8.1
  SearchStatus 1.36
  TVU Web Player 2,5,3,1

  Adobe Acrobat
  Google Earth Plugin
  Google Talk Plugin
  Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator
  Google Update
  Hulu Desktop
  Java Deployment Toolkit
  Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U21
  Microsoft(R) DRM ("DRM Store Netscape Plugin", and "DRM Netscape Network Object")
  Octoshape Streaming Services 20000.9.928.0
  Shockwave Flash
  Silverlight Plug-In 4.0.50917.0
  TVU Web Player for Firefox
  Veetle TV Core
  Veetle TV Player
  Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

The current profile is not new, it was created when I built this machine on 2009-06-26. Whatever the latest version of Firefox 3 was on that date, that's the version that created this profile.

Here's the output of about:memory:

Memory mapped:
Memory in use:
Other Information
Description    Value

malloc/allocated 364,305,148
malloc/mapped 488,636,416
malloc/committed 425,103,360
malloc/dirty 1,499,136
win32/privatebytes 460,718,080
win32/workingset 472,268,800
js/gc-heap 126,877,696
js/string-data 7,026,362
js/mjit-code 9,228,952
storage/sqlite/pagecache 32,058,912
storage/sqlite/other 1,667,864
gfx/d2d/surfacecache 0
gfx/d2d/surfacevram 0
gfx/surface/win 322,091,269
images/chrome/used/raw 0
images/chrome/used/uncompressed 533,711
images/chrome/unused/raw 0
images/chrome/unused/uncompressed 0
images/content/used/raw 5,457,727
images/content/used/uncompressed 712,946
images/content/unused/raw 11,399
images/content/unused/uncompressed 20,176
layout/al l8,023,281
layout/bidi0gfx/surface/image 5,904
shmem/allocated 1,413,120
shmem/mapped 1,413,120
content/canvas/2d_pixel_bytes 876,060

It's lower than the 700MB+ that it was a few hours ago because I restarted the browser, but it's only been running three hours.

If you'd like me to disable any or all of those extensions and see what happens, I'd be happy to. Just let me know.

Comment 1

7 years ago
Please ignore the previous comment. It was applied to the wrong bug.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.