Closed Bug 640044 Opened 12 years ago Closed 12 years ago

Block major updates to OSes that Fx4 doesn't support


(AUS Graveyard :: Administration, task)

Not set


(blocking2.0 final+)

Tracking Status
blocking2.0 --- final+


(Reporter: nthomas, Assigned: nthomas)



(Whiteboard: [server side][noncode])


(1 file)

We dropped Mac 10.4 and don't want to offer updates to people running that. Similarly ppc went away, but we're handling that in the snippets.

Should also check if we're correctly blocking Win ME.

Need to do this before enabling MU's to 4.0 for end users, so filing in AUS where there's a blocking flag.
(In reply to comment #0)
> Need to do this before enabling MU's to 4.0 for end users, so filing in AUS
> where there's a blocking flag.

This was already done in bug 418129. ME sends 'Windows_98 4.90' and gets caught by the block on 'Windows_98'.
'Darwin 8' is what 10.4 versions used, just inserting that to the list we have for 2.0. Will test in staging.
Ah, I was going to call a meeting about beat me to it with this bug :-)
Comment on attachment 517940 [details] [diff] [review]
[checked in] v1 Adds mac 10.4

Testing - running 3.6.14 release on mac 10.4.11
* standard update query  -> offered Firefox 3.6.15
* point to aus2-staging  -> offered Firefox 3.6.15
* switch from release to majortest channel -> offered Firefox 4.0b12 (test MU)
* apply this patch to aus2-staging -> no update found
Attachment #517940 - Flags: review?(rhelmer)
Attachment #517940 - Flags: review?(rhelmer) → review+
Comment on attachment 517940 [details] [diff] [review]
[checked in] v1 Adds mac 10.4

Checking in config-dist.php;
/cvsroot/mozilla/webtools/aus/xml/inc/config-dist.php,v  <--  config-dist.php
new revision: 1.120; previous revision: 1.119

$ cd mozilla/webtools/aus/xml
$ cvs tag AUS2_RTM_201103081836
T flush.php
T htaccess.dist
T index.php
T status.php
T bug602275/please_reinstall.xml
T inc/aus.class.php
T inc/config-dist.php
T inc/config-test.php
T inc/init.php
T inc/memcaching.php
T inc/patch.class.php
T inc/update.class.php
T inc/xml.class.php

W inc/config-dist.php : AUS2_PRODUCTION already exists on version 1.118 : NOT MOVING tag to version 1.120

$ cvs tag -F AUS2_PRODUCTION inc/config-dist.php
T inc/config-dist.php

This also picks up the nightly updates change from bug 639980.
Attachment #517940 - Attachment description: v1 Adds mac 10.4 → [checked in] v1 Adds mac 10.4
Depends on: 640067
My apologies if I've misunderstood how the unsupportedPlatforms array works; or if this was actually an intentional (or at least unavoidable) side effect, but it would appear the attached patch would block 3.5.x to 3.6.x major updates as well?

ie: There are still quite a lot of users on 3.5.x who could at least be shifted to 3.6.x - even if their OS is incompatible with Fx 4. 

I guess you could say that 3.5.x users who are running older OSes and haven't yet accepted the major update offer are unlikely to do so; but given that the billboard has recently been redesigned to be 'more scary' (bug 615751), it seems a waste of that effort to not even try to lure 3.5.x users on older OSes to 3.6.x. 

Plus there are those people who even now inadvertently download/install a Fx 3.5.x installer and need bumping up to the 3.6.x shortly after first run.

Anyway, sorry for the spam if the above is just me misunderstanding; it just seemed important enough to mention on the off-chance that I wasn't.
blocking2.0: ? → final+
Whiteboard: [server side][noncode]
That's a good point Ed. We currently only have an 'unadvertised' update from 3.5.17 -> 3.6.15 in place - users aren't prompted at all and have to go Help > Check for Updates. We can certainly revert the 3.5 blocking if we are going to use the scary billboard for an advertised 3.5 -> 3.6, but I'm not sure what the timetable is given Fx4 is so close. We may just go straight to 4.0 major updates. What say you LegNeato ?
This is what I was going to mention at the triage meeting but decided not to so the meeting didn't take forever. I'm talking with people about what happens when you are on 3.5 and Check for Updates. My initial thought is you go straight to 4.0 if you qualify. Users needing 3.6 can go to all-older.html and I want to eventually push down 3.6 as a minor update when we officially kill 3.5 (plan coming this week).
We'd want to do some testing around 3.5 -> 4.0, having only done 3.6 -> 4.0 tests so far, but sounds fine to me.
btw... there are no x64 builds offered as downloads for RC1
(In reply to comment #11)
> btw... there are no x64 builds offered as downloads for RC1

That's a website bug - see bug 527907.

Christian, I'm going to close this out. Please reopen if the plan for 3.5 changes.
Closed: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.