Sync Password Reset Fails to Find Username

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

--
major
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
7 years ago
7 years ago

People

(Reporter: asaf.peleg.84, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0

After I installed the Status 4-Eva plugin for firefox my browser restarted.  After restarting Firefox showed me a note that said sync was failing.  I went to login but my expected password was not working.

I tried to reset my password but it said it could not locate my username and asked me to create a new key.

When I went to create a new key it said that my email was already in use.

I need to be able to reset my password for my Sync user in order to login again and be able to attach my account to my email.



Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Click firefox button (top left) -> Set Up Sync...
2. Click the "Connect" button under the title"I already have a Firefox Sync account"
3. Click "I don't have the device with me"
4. Click "Reset Password"
5. Enter "asaf.peleg.84@gmail.com" and enter captcha.
6. The username should not be found.
Actual Results:  
When I enter my email associated with my sync account the forgot password form cannot locate my user account and asks me to create a new key.  If I try creating a new key with my email then it blocks me from creating it because my email is already in use.

Expected Results:  
I would expect to be able to reset my password if I enter in my email as the username.
Component: General → General
Product: Firefox → Mozilla Services
QA Contact: general → general
(In reply to comment #0)
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Click firefox button (top left) -> Set Up Sync...
> 2. Click the "Connect" button under the title"I already have a Firefox Sync
> account"
> 3. Click "I don't have the device with me"
> 4. Click "Reset Password"
> 5. Enter "asaf.peleg.84@gmail.com" and enter captcha.
> 6. The username should not be found.

I just went to https://account.services.mozilla.com/forgot, entered your email address and the captcha and it worked just fine. You should've received an email with instructions on how to change your password.

> Actual Results:  
> When I enter my email associated with my sync account the forgot password form
> cannot locate my user account and asks me to create a new key.  If I try
> creating a new key with my email then it blocks me from creating it because my
> email is already in use.

Well yeah, if you choose to create a new account that won't work because the account already exists. If you want to change the key during setup, go to "Connect" -> "I don't have the device with me" -> "I have lost my other device".
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
(Reporter)

Comment 2

7 years ago
I believe you that the forgot password thing worked for you because I got a password reset notification right after you tried it.

I followed the link the in password reset notification and reset my password successfully but I'm still unable to log into Firefox Sync with my account.

I'm also still having issues with the password reset page myself.  I'm going to try and remove the Add-On that I installed right before I started having these problems and see if it resolves anything.
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: WORKSFORME → ---
(In reply to comment #2)
> but I'm still unable to log into Firefox Sync with my account.

How are you trying to log into it? Did you follow the steps I gave you in comment 1?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

7 years ago
Okay, I apologize but I think I kept messing up the password reset screen because I accidentally entered in a comma in place of a period one time and my cache kept auto filling with that incorrect email address.

I was able to successfully reset my password from the password reset URL and also log into Firefox Sync.  After you reset your password there is a link that takes you to a login screen.  When I navigate to https://account.services.mozilla.com/ it says I'm logged in.

However, I'm still having issues setting up Firefox Sync from the Browser itself.  I followed the directions you gave me by going to 

"Connect" -> "I don't have the device with me"

Then I fill out the form with my email as the username, the password that successfully connects me and my sync key at the bottom.  However, when I click "I have lost my other device" It returns with an error "Incorrect account name or password"
(In reply to comment #4)
> However, I'm still having issues setting up Firefox Sync from the Browser
> itself.  I followed the directions you gave me by going to 
> 
> "Connect" -> "I don't have the device with me"
> 
> Then I fill out the form with my email as the username, the password that
> successfully connects me and my sync key at the bottom.  However, when I click
> "I have lost my other device" It returns with an error "Incorrect account name
> or password"

Then you're probably mistyping your email address or password. I can't reproduce your problem at all.

Resolving this again since the reset functionality isn't broken.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago7 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
Duplicate of this bug: 649129
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.