If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Make buttons to look modern on modern OS (Vista/7)

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

()

Firefox
Theme
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
7 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: Terepin, Unassigned)

Tracking

({polish})

4.0 Branch
All
Windows 7
polish
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(firefox5-)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0a1) Gecko/20110413 Firefox/6.0a1
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0a1) Gecko/20110413 Firefox/6.0a1

We removed drop shadow, but that isn't enough. Currently Firefox is the *only* browser with "bumpy" appearance and while looks OK in XP, it doesn't look native in Vista/7.

See URL for proposed new flat look.

Reproducible: Always
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
tracking-firefox5: --- → ?
Keywords: polish
Version: unspecified → 4.0 Branch
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
Summary: Make buttons to look modern on moder OS (Vista/7) → Make buttons to look modern on modern OS (Vista/7)

Comment 1

7 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0a1) Gecko/20110413
> Firefox/6.0a1
> Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0a1) Gecko/20110413
> Firefox/6.0a1
> 
> We removed drop shadow, but that isn't enough. Currently Firefox is the *only*
> browser with "bumpy" appearance and while looks OK in XP, it doesn't look
> native in Vista/7.
> 
> See URL for proposed new flat look.
> 
> Reproducible: Always

I disagree. It looks perfectly native to me. Especially when compared with the taskbar buttons/icons.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

7 years ago
You can't compare taskbar with web browser, that's like comparing a chair with jetpack. The only place when you can find those buttons (as far as I'm aware of) is Explorer, but even there are buttons *inside*, not at top. The rest buttons are even borderless!

Comment 3

7 years ago
The OS is what defines modern. Being that the taskbars are the other things on the screen while the browser is on screen, it makes sense to draw a comparison against it and the current button style fits that.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

7 years ago
Even if so, no other browser has it. Even IE drop them for good. And Start button is IN taskbar, not on it.

Comment 5

7 years ago
Parity in terms of visual design is never a good enough argument for implementation. At the very least we want to retain a unique style and feel about Firefox as opposed to having it blend into the existing crowd of modern browsers. Users at a glance should be able to identify a browser as part of its brand and thus express their affinity to the browser. This is especially poignant when featured in movies and on tv.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

7 years ago
I think orange button in upper left corner is unique enough. ;)

Comment 7

7 years ago
That's like saying you can identify the Olson twins based on their hair parting. It's simply not enough. There should be emphasis on differentiating factors.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

7 years ago
Lets not get nitpick here. We are talking here about making buttons flat, not about complete GUI overhaul. Flat buttons are something so common that is ridiculous to deny them just because others are using them. Being different not matter cost won't do any good to anybody, or anything.

Comment 9

7 years ago
You can't call it a nitpick because it's a counter-argument. I simply disagree with you and have provided my reasons for doing so. A unique identify is important: http://i.imgur.com/MG0ZV.png

It it makes you feel better, I believe that the UX want to remove the buttons completely in order to match that or Chrome: http://newdefault.tumblr.com/photo/1280/4203847555/1/tumblr_liuxcoEwW61qbpfg9

Comment 10

7 years ago
We don't need to resolve this for FF5. tracking-
tracking-firefox5: ? → -

Comment 11

7 years ago
Considering comment10, can you please change the resolution to Resolve Invalid.
He just meant we don't need to fix it for Fx5, not at all.

Comment 13

6 years ago
We already made the buttons flatter, and we've been streamlining the appearance of other buttons, e.g. bug 684450.
There's no more need to keep this bug open.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Updated

6 years ago
Resolution: FIXED → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.