If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

columns for listing of newly discovered accounts' servers too narrow

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

Thunderbird
Account Manager
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
7 years ago
4 years ago

People

(Reporter: john ruskin, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Thunderbird/3.1.9

For a new account, there is a display of what TBird decides is the suggested or appropriate server settings.

On return of discovered settings, I notice a few things:  Mostly this is related to the width of the columns of server names and domain names.   They are too narrow, so account names like pop...secureserver.net don't get displayed in full [their right ends truncated off].

Fix is probably accounting for long domain names and or missing cross checks and workings.

Reproducible: Always

Comment 1

7 years ago
The redesigned account wizard (bug 549045) has changed that reporting format and does no longer use a table for displaying the identified configuration. Instead, it's a single label now, have a look at attachment 517569 [details].

It might still apply to the Manual Setup, which still has a fixed width for the form fields but allows scrolling therein when modifying the host name. That's shown in attachment 517570 [details].

Comment 2

7 years ago
Ludo, do you have any really long server-name entry in the ISPDB to verify?

Judging from the account with the longest names I've access to, the redesigned account wizard shouldn't have problems to accommodate some 40-50 characters per server name in the reporting page. When going to Manual Config, 25-30 characters should be possible in those entries, then you have to scroll (and that's manual mode anyway, thus you'd inspect and modify the full entry).

So, from my point of view this is "works for me" on trunk after bug 549045.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Ludo, do you have any really long server-name entry in the ISPDB to verify?
> 

No but based on https://live.mozillamessaging.com/autoconfig/v1.1/ I would try one of the Japanese domains.

rainbow.mail.plala.or.jp
symphony.mail.plala.or.jp

are probably the longuest we have. Another trick would be to find a very long google/hosted name.
I tried 
abc@rainbow.mail.plala.or.jp
abc@symphony.mail.plala.or.jp

and stopped the automated process by clicking manual.
I don't see the problem described by this bug.
But I did notice in server field that "server name" started with a period, for example ".rainbow.mail.plala.or.jp"
WFM based on comment 4
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.