Component: General → Firefox Sync: Backend
Product: Firefox → Mozilla Services
QA Contact: general → sync-backend
Something went wrong with key management, and one of your systems uploaded some bookmark records that were encrypted with the wrong key. The error you're seeing is Sync refusing to apply those records, because it can't verify the record. The root cause is elusive, but the bug that's indicated in your log shouldn't have any effect on bookmarks that already exist on your various browsers. It would help to know what you mean by "generally screwed up", and which version of the Sync addon you were using. The entire contents of about:sync-log and about:sync-log.1, *attached* to this bug (not pasted into the comment field), might shed some light on this. The easiest solution to this problem is to generate a new sync key, and enter it on each machine. Open Preferences, go to the Sync tab, choose "My Sync Key", and click "Generate". Enter the resulting key on the other two machines when prompted.
Hi thanks for the fast response. I cannot find about:sync-log.1. I am not sure which version of sync addon I was using but I moved to ff4 as soon as it became officially released. And until then had always taken the automatic updates to the sync addon within ff3.6. What I meant with screwed up bookmarks is that I had had three separate sets of bookmarks two on personal systems and one on work and was intending to merge them with the sync. Well, now I have some kind of mini subset which seems to be propogated to all systems now with LOADS of bookmarks missing - like 90% missing. Is there anyway to get them back from anywhere? This is actually my biggest issue right now. Thanks for the ideas with the generating a new sync key.
Firefox creates daily bookmark backups: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Lost%20Bookmarks#w_restoring-bookmark-backups which should restore and then sync an older copy of your bookmarks.
thanks Mike. I just restored a set of bookmarks and have an idea based on this experience. My work windows PC is setup for german DE locale. My two personal linux PCs are setup for english UK locale. when I imported my bookmarks it imported them not in the bookmarks folder but in the german "lesezeichen" folder. Not sure if this causes the issue... as I guess this could cause confusion ... cheers andE
The same for me but I'm not sure is a locale issue. It has worked for several months without problem with my 3 laptops + 2 mobiles, then after upgrading linux firefox client,the problem has begun
meta bug tracked in bug 646269
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Closing old HMAC bugs after remediation. Reporter, please reopen if you've had this reoccur after some time after successfully using Firefox 7 or later on all of your devices.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.