Closed Bug 691137 Opened 10 years ago Closed 10 years ago
Awry text rendering on canvas using hardware acceleration
92.43 KB, image/png
93.88 KB, image/png
132.28 KB, text/html
1.01 KB, patch
|Details | Diff | Splinter Review|
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0a1) Gecko/20111001 Firefox/10.0a1 STR: Open http://mercurial.selenic.com/ and observe headings. Actual: Characters in headings look awry. Expected: "Smooth" characters as seen with Firefox 6 and other browsers like IE 9, Safari 5.1 and Chrome 15 beta. Turning the hardware acceleration off seems to correct the issue. Last good build: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2011/06/2011-06-25-03-07-43-mozilla-central/firefox-7.0a1.en-US.win32.zip First bad build: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2011/06/2011-06-26-03-07-56-mozilla-central/firefox-7.0a1.en-US.win32.zip Regression range: http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/pushloghtml?startdate=2011-06-25&enddate=2011-06-27
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0a1) Gecko/20110626 Firefox/7.0a1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0a1) Gecko/20110625 Firefox/7.0a1
Likely regression from bug 651858.
Component: Canvas: WebGL → Graphics
QA Contact: canvas.webgl → thebes
Azure isn't used to render HTML content, so that regression cause looks unlikely...
Looks like the site is using a JS library "typeface-0.15.js" that renders text using fonts defined in JS by drawing them to canvas (in this case, an Optima "clone" called "optimer_regular.typeface.js"), so the suggested regression _does_ sound plausible after all.
This is rather bad (visual) regression. Setting some flags...
This almost looks as if the flattening tolerance on the path is too high or something. A reduced canvas-only testcase would help a lot in diagnosing this.
Assignee: nobody → bas.schouten
Problem occurs on: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1 That's some ugly looking text...
Test case also replicates for me on: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
I've found the root cause of this issue, fix coming up.
This fixes the issue that causes this. Quite likely this bug can be worked around by moving the 'restore()' call in renderWord to before 'beginPath()' this would also improve the performance of the library.
Attachment #565912 - Flags: review?(roc)
Comment on attachment 565912 [details] [diff] [review] Use proper coordinates when adding a device space quadratic curve Review of attachment 565912 [details] [diff] [review]: ----------------------------------------------------------------- oopsie
Attachment #565912 - Flags: review?(roc) → review+
Comment on attachment 565912 [details] [diff] [review] Use proper coordinates when adding a device space quadratic curve The release team won't be tracking this but please land the fix on Aurora and Beta.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Forgot this is only on inbound. Sorry for bugspam.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 10 years ago → 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla10
How hard would this be to test?
(In reply to Ms2ger from comment #17) > How hard would this be to test? Very easy, but considering the rather coincidental circumstances that surround this bug I'm not sure a test case would be that useful. We actually test all the individual facets of this bug, just not the combination.
I thought this has to be landed on beta and aurora? (Comment 13)
I tested to see if the issue is still visible after the landing of the fix; I took as example the testcare using typeface.js in the attachment and got the following results: Verified Fixed on: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0 (Beta) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:9.0a2) Gecko/20111019 Firefox/9.0a2 (Aurora) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0a1) Gecko/20111020 Firefox/10.0a1 (Nightly) Since the issue (as it was reported in the Description) is not visible anymore after the landing of the fix, on all branches, setting this bug's resolution to Verified and the whiteboard entry to qa!
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.