Both encoder and decoder are needed.
Here is a list of RFCs.
utf-7 - ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2152.txt
imap rfc for modified utf-7 - ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2060.txt
Set target to M7, adding email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org to cc.
M-UTF-7 is needed in both directions for IMAP folders.
I suggest not doing an encoder for plain UTF-7, making it a read-only charset.
I think plain UTF-7 encoder is needed to send UTF-7 mails.
My point is that there is no need to send UTF-7 mail. Such mail should be sent
in UTF-8 instead.
UTF-7 message send issue was forwarded to netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.
Is don't think this bug is about IMAP. Bug 6814 is about supporting
modified UTF-7 for IMAP folder names. This bug seems to be about sending
messages encoded in UTF-7. I've updated the summary to reflect this.
I agree with jgmeyers -- I'm not sure how useful or advisable it is to send
UTF-7 email. Let's see if we get any feedback from the news group.
Moving to M8.
We are not going to include UTF-7 to the message compose charset menu.
UTF-7 converters were checked in so I mark this as fixed.
If any quality issue for converters, it should be filed separately.
Changed Summary to reflect the bug.
This bug is NOT about sending UTF-7 email. It was decide that we will not
support sending UTF-7 messages. We will support viewing properly labeled UTF-7
** Checked with 6/19/99 Win32 build **
The encoding part seems to be OK.
I'm not sure if decoding is working, but there are some problems
in viewing JPN strings:
Msgs sent from 4.6:
1. Can view body but not thread pane header nor msg window header
Msgs sent from 5.0:
2. Cannot view body.
However, I can view all of the above correctly with 4.6 client.
This may be due to Bug 8343.
In any case, decoding is not working and so I'll
re-open this bug.
Clearing Fixed resolution.
But Bug 8343 is not a converter problem. The decoder is just fine. So, what's
going on then? Please provide a test case and I'll try to see where we have the
problem and why.
** Checked with 7/1/99 Win32 build **
This has been a complicated problem but I think we have almost
all the pieces resolved now.
First, the viewing problem.
1. The problem with viewing UTF-7 plain text mail from 4.6
had to do with the fact that 4.6 did not use MIME header.
Charset parameter (=UTF-7) is sent out. This explains
why the headers could not be displayed.
2. Outlok Express 4 labels the header but not the body, and this
caused the body not to be displayed without additional steps.
3. Outlook Express 5 sends the properly labeled header and
body. Thus we have no problem with OE 5 UTF-7 msgs.
4. With Messenger 5.0 Mail send. We were sending extraneous
characters before and after the intended string until the
6/30/99 build. 5.0 had was displaying something extra (a blank
suqare) at the beginning of a string. Starting with 7/1/99
build, we seem to be sending only the intended string + the
Here's an example
Intended string: êtíra
6/30/99 build: +ABcA6g-t+AO0-ra+AA0AC
7/1/99 build: +AOo-t+AO0-ra+AA0AC
Outlook Express 5: +AOo-t+AO0-ra
Note: +AAOAC at the end of the 7/1/99 encoded string.
I'm now inclined to mark this bug resolved, but still not sure why
we are inserting extra stuff at the end.
Didn't we decide to never send UTF-7 in mail messages?
No, what we decided was that we would not ship with UTF-7 menu
for the mail composer. But someone can actually enable UTF-7 menu
easily via modifying the .xul file. I think we still need to send
correctly encoded characters in case someone enables the menu.
Can we confirm (e.e.g, in debugger, in standalone testing) that the converter
is not adding the extraneious bytes? If so, we need to reassign it to
someone in the mail team. Is this only happening for UTF-7?
Actually, if we can confirm this is not the converter adding the extraneous
bytes, let's mark this bug FIXED and open a new bug.
I tried the same characters as momoi san, looks like line feed 0x0A is encoded
(so the message is encoded in one big line). Although I don't know if we should
encode it or not.
But I found that UTF-7 is actually included in the menu. I don't think I added
it, we should remove it later.
\u000a should not be encoded.
The MIME "text/*" top-level type requires all of its charsets to encode
line breaks as \x0d \x0a.
What he said.
Space (decimal 32), tab (decimal 9), carriage return, (decimal 13),
and line feed (decimal 10) are allowed to be represented by their
ASCII equivalents. Our converter probably should do so.
UTF-7 RFC (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2152.txt):
A UTF-7 stream represents 16-bit Unicode characters using 7-bit US-
ASCII octets as follows:
Rule 3: The space (decimal 32), tab (decimal 9), carriage return
(decimal 13), and line feed (decimal 10) characters may be
directly represented by their ASCII equivalents. However, note
that MIME content transfer encodings have rules concerning the use
of such characters. Usage that does not conform to the
restrictions of RFC 822, for example, would have to be encoded
using MIME content transfer encodings other than 7bit or 8bit,
such as quoted-printable, binary, or base64.
** Checked with 7/9/99 Win32 build **
I checked the sample string: êtíra
and confirmed that we are not encoding LF any more.
Thus the raw string looks like: +AOo-t+AO0-ra
which is what we desired for this.
I also checked "space" and "tab" and they are not
I'm not sure of "CR", however. I'm looking at Windows
client, but we are not using CR+LF for linebreaks.
I wonder if there is a convention/requirement to use the Unix
type "LF" only for sending mail
In any case, I'm going to mark this fix verified now as all remaining issues
seem to have been verified.
I'll file a new bug to remove UTF-7 from the Charset menu for
M9 since we probably won't need it for regular debugging any more.
A request to remove UTF-7 from the Mail Composer menu
has been filed as Bug 9555.