Inflationary release management

UNCONFIRMED
Unassigned

Status

()

Firefox
General
--
enhancement
UNCONFIRMED
6 years ago
4 years ago

People

(Reporter: pierre_gustav, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [DUPEME])

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
Build ID: 20111120135848

Steps to reproduce:

I tried to use firefox on a regular basis.


Actual results:

I didnt't get any work done, because there was a new release every other time I started firefox. I had to spend time installing the new release. I then had to spend considerable time dealing with incompatible plug-ins and add-ons.


Expected results:

Nothing. New releases only twice a year.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

6 years ago
(In reply to :aceman from comment #1)
> No worries, see here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

That does not fix the problem for private users. Proposed workoround therefore: Switch to IE or chrome.

Comment 3

6 years ago
I think nothing will stop you from using that ESR version for personal use.

Chrome has exactly the same release cycle, so no victory.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

6 years ago
Right, Google is insane, too. Just switched to IE. Looks like a valid workaround.

Comment 5

6 years ago
As IE has the slowest release cycle of all browsers, it is not sure its cycle is the best one. But no problem, use whatever suits your taste. You haven't responded why ESR will not meet your taste. But if you start the browser once in 3 weeks (as you claim) you probably aren't the target user for ANY browser vendor.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

6 years ago
(In reply to :aceman from comment #5)
> As IE has the slowest release cycle of all browsers, it is not sure its
> cycle is the best one.

Certainly best for me and millions of others who use software to solve problems, not create them. Keep things simple and don't annoy the users, it's as simple as that.

> But no problem, use whatever suits your taste. You
> haven't responded why ESR will not meet your taste. 

ESR seems to be a proposal. I can't surf the web with proposals. Besides, I don't want to do do research on ESR and similar stuff for the dozens of programs I use. I just want to use them. Just keep things simple and don't annoy the users, it's as simple as that.

Comment 7

6 years ago
That is true. I also wait when that proposal becomes reality.
OS: Windows 7 → All
Hardware: x86 → All
Whiteboard: [DUPEME]
Version: unspecified → Trunk
(In reply to pierre_gustav from comment #0)
> Actual results:
> 
> I didnt't get any work done, because there was a new release every other
> time I started firefox. I had to spend time installing the new release.

You only start your browser twice every 6 weeks? Must not be getting much work done...

Updated

4 years ago
Severity: normal → enhancement
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.