Video does not pause when clicked if "Hide controls" is selected (ogv)

VERIFIED INVALID

Status

()

VERIFIED INVALID
7 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: mihaelav, Unassigned)

Tracking

11 Branch
x86
All
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [10b1], URL)

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/12.0a1

If you disable controls on ogv videos, clicking on the video does not pause it (as it does when controls display is enabled).

Steps to reproduce:
1. Go to a page which contains an ogv video (e.g. http://videos.mozilla.org/firefox4beta/Firefox_4_beta.theora.ogv)
2. Start playing the video
3. Righ click on the video and select "Hide Controls"
4. Click on the video

Actual result: The video does not pause, it continues playing

Expected result: The video should pause. If controls are enabled, clicking on the video will pause it.
I suspect that's the intended behaviour.  Moving bug to media controls component so the right people see this.
Component: Video/Audio → Video/Audio Controls
Product: Core → Toolkit
QA Contact: video.audio → video.audio

Updated

7 years ago
Whiteboard: [10b1]
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
Summary: Video does not pause when clicked if "Hide ontros" is selected → Video does not pause when clicked if "Hide controls" is selected (ogv)
This is working as intended. When controls are disabled, the user is can use either the context menu or website-provided controls to pause/play the video.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Duplicate of this bug: 724357

Comment 4

7 years ago
Per comment 2.  This is not immediately obvious.  Many online Flash-based media players and many OS media players use Click for play/pause.  I'm wondering if there is some reason why this would be disabled.... especially since most OS media players use the space-bar for the same function which Firefox does/can not.
(In reply to patrickjdempsey from comment #4)
> Per comment 2.  This is not immediately obvious.  Many online Flash-based
> media players and many OS media players use Click for play/pause.  I'm
> wondering if there is some reason why this would be disabled.... especially
> since most OS media players use the space-bar for the same function which
> Firefox does/can not.

Yeah, I understand that it's not immediately obvious. I agree with you that it would be nice to do more here.

However, there are other use cases that would be broken if videos lacking controls had click-to-play/pause enabled. There are some websites that allow users to drag videos around the site while they are playing. Enabling a feature like this would break the use-case of those websites.

Sites that want to provide a positive user experience for their users have the ability to enable controls by default for all of their videos.

Comment 6

7 years ago
(In reply to Jared Wein [:jaws] from comment #5)
> (In reply to patrickjdempsey from comment #4)
> > Per comment 2.  This is not immediately obvious.  Many online Flash-based
> > media players and many OS media players use Click for play/pause.  I'm
> > wondering if there is some reason why this would be disabled.... especially
> > since most OS media players use the space-bar for the same function which
> > Firefox does/can not.
> 
> Yeah, I understand that it's not immediately obvious. I agree with you that
> it would be nice to do more here.
> 
> However, there are other use cases that would be broken if videos lacking
> controls had click-to-play/pause enabled. There are some websites that allow
> users to drag videos around the site while they are playing. Enabling a
> feature like this would break the use-case of those websites.
> 
> Sites that want to provide a positive user experience for their users have
> the ability to enable controls by default for all of their videos.

Dragging and clicking is not the same, but maybe you could mention a usecase where this would actually be a problem?
(In reply to Dennis Jakobsen from comment #6) 
> Dragging and clicking is not the same, but maybe you could mention a usecase
> where this would actually be a problem?

One example use case of clicking would be sites that want to make the video appear to be part of their website background.

There is no way for me to think of all the potential use cases that web developers use today or can think of in the future, but just because I can't think of an amazing reason to not allow it doesn't mean that other developers can't as well.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.