Closed Bug 714394 Opened 10 years ago Closed 8 years ago

Fresh builds are missing object directory for xpfe/components/autocomplete

Categories

(MailNews Core :: Build Config, defect)

x86_64
Windows 7
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED INVALID

People

(Reporter: rkent, Unassigned)

References

Details

Attachments

(2 files)

When I attempt to do a debug build of Thunderbird from trunk, the build dies because of a missing xpfe/components/autocomplete directory.

Now I am no build guru, but here is my analysis:

This checkin http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/957949faf984 from Bug 696498 removed xpfe/components/autocomplete from mozilla/toolkit/toolkit-makefiles.sh But that file is needed in mail builds here: http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/bridge/bridge.mk#39
Blocks: 696498
These scripts are only a speed optimisation and not what determines whether the folder is built (it was known that thunderbird uses xpfe/components/autocomplete when it the entry was removed from m-c's toolkit-makiles.sh), so something else is likely going wrong. Please can you attach (or pastebin) the build log, mozconfig and other relevant information.
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/e13a27a39088

Got rs+ over IRC, and did a DONTBUILD checkin
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
edmorley: Callek: isn't that just wallpapering though
Callek: edmorley: well yes and no
Callek: edmorley: we can't rely on make-makefiles to create this properly from c-c anyway, due to the fact that we expand from m-c vars
Callek: edmorley: overall, for the shorter-term I didn't want to think on it too hard
edmorley: sure :-)
You'll also need to backout Mark's change here:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/b4782acec285

I'd do it myself, but my tree is complaining of integrity errors (the disc is on the way out :-/).
I disagree with the changes in this bug - for starters it broke comm-central nightly builds (being clobber) - which is what comment 4 is based around.

Also, we knew of the mozilla-central change, so we explicitly changed the build system so that it would "pretend" the makefiles & autocomplete are built from the comm-central build system (as per comment 4).

The solution may be to add the makefiles to comm-central's all-makefiles.sh, however, as I've never seen this bustage locally or on the trees, and logs weren't posted, I'd rather see some info first as to how to generate the failure.

(We could also move autocomplete, but I've been waiting on us completing moving to the toolkit autocomplete before doing that).

Therefore I'm backing out the change landed for this bug as it busted the builds, pending further investigation as to the actual issues here:

http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/a447e66c3174
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
(In reply to Mark Banner (:standard8) (afk until 3rd Jan) from comment #5)
> Also, we knew of the mozilla-central change, so we explicitly changed the
> build system so that it would "pretend" the makefiles & autocomplete are
> built from the comm-central build system (as per comment 4).
> 

I missed the fact that you did that to these files in my skim, (had I noticed, I would have known it would have broken things)
Let me give a little more detail for my problems. What I find in general is that, after several weeks of not building TB trunk, I cannot get a build to work. My first step is to erase the object directory, and try to build. If that fails, my second step is to erase the source directory AND the object directory, redownload the source, and build.

In the current case, the build fails after completing step 1, but succeeds if I do step 2. Since there was interest in logs, let me give you all of my details.

This is for a case where I have restored the source directory that originally gave the problems, deleted the object directory, tried to build (which failed), then did several other retries on the same directories, all of which fail in the same way. The details that I am giving are for one of those failed attempts.

I am calling the build, starting from the source directory, using:

MOZCONFIG='c:\home\mc2-soap-debug' make -f client.mk >/c/temp/soap2a.log 2>/c/temp/soap2b.log

I will attach soap2a.log and soap2b.log.  mc2-soap-debug is:

ac_add_options --enable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-calendar
ac_add_options --enable-chrome-format=flat
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default
ac_add_options --enable-application=mail
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/../soap-debug
Attached file The main build output
Attached file The error build output
The make-makefiles script was obsoleted long ago.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 10 years ago8 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.