I keep getting timeouts trying to build an Elastic index. Since it always starts in Questions, it always times out in Questions, and I can't get it to index the part I need (the KB) without editing the management command. It would be great to be able to say esreindex [app[, app[,...]] like esreindex wiki or esreindex wiki forum In its current form, I think that means losing all the data from any unnamed app. Obviously that kind of sucks. Maybe we should consider splitting these into separate indexes? (Maybe further separated by locale, I know we were discussing that at one point.) If so, that should be a blocker bug on this.
Two things: 1. Does changing the timeout in your settings_local.py help? e.g. something like: ES_TIMEOUT = 10 2. You can index just a percentage of your db: ./manage.py esreindex --percent 5 I don't know if that helps or not, but figured it was worth mentioning. 3. This should be easy to fix. I can bang it out in an hour if you want. These sorts of fixes are helpful since they speed up development, so it's worth it.
Er, let me clarify. * It's easy to add the arguments and not drop and rebuild the single index. * I'm pretty sure it's set up to split these into separate indexes on document type without doing much re-plumbing. * By "an hour", I really mean "half-day".
Ah, I missed ES_TIMEOUT in the docs. Will do that for now and reorder the management command to do KB first. This is a case where the percentage thing would be useless to me. I need to have the KB indexed. I don't much care about questions and I don't care at all about forums, but I need the KB. Hopefully it's a nice one-pointer we can do in the next couple sprints.
Grabbing this one. I fixed it in https://github.com/mozilla/kitsune/commit/57f4faf507f9e995b2b8f533530ad678171ce483 Sticking it in the 2012.2 sprint as a 1 pter. Marking it as [qa-] because it's a command-line thing and developer-oriented.
Assignee: nobody → willkg
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: u=dev c=search s=2012.2 p=1 [qa-]
Target Milestone: --- → 2012-01-24
Closed as [qa-]
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
I did this work along with other work for the 2012.1 sprint, but technically added this post-sprint, so I'm marking it as such.
Whiteboard: u=dev c=search s=2012.2 p=1 [qa-] → u=dev c=search s=2012.2 p=1 post-sprint [qa-]
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.