Our preliminary testing with VPS is over (bug 712908), and the trial is expiring tomorrow. So, as discussed with :XioNoX, let's get the servers up for MCS (1 will be just fine to start with) ASAP. Some of our communities are looking forward for better community management solutions and wish to use 3rd party proprietary software packages (e.g. Mozilla Croatia is looking forward to use Atlassian, JIRA, Confluence etc.), and for these distributed-collaborative efforts, we will need quite flexible system. It's really a priority here; unless we have a stable hosting solution, taking the development process further for MCS is becoming very tough.
Hi Soumya, We seem to be missing a lot of context here, what is MCS? I never got that from the last bug either. You are asking for dedicated servers to host community sites but the request is lacking a lot of details. What sites, how many servers, what will they be doing, what specs do you need, etc..? cc'ing infrasec so they are involved. Also, dropping this to normal - a major bug will page oncall and if we need to buy hardware for this it will probably be a month at best.
Severity: major → normal
(In reply to Corey Shields [:cshields] from comment #1) > We seem to be missing a lot of context here, what is MCS? I never got that > from the last bug either. MCS == Mozilla Community Site. > You are asking for dedicated servers to host community sites but the request > is lacking a lot of details. What sites, how many servers, what will they > be doing, what specs do you need, etc..? We've had meetings/discussions with :XioNoX about these - and he got us a trial VPS to play with & confirm if that works for us, and that he'll be getting the server ready by the end of the last week. We need to run 2-3 medium traffic community sites (WordPress blogs, and other stuffs), and these numbers will grow gradually. Mind getting in #mcs sometimes to discuss the details, please? > cc'ing infrasec so they are involved. Thanks! > Also, dropping this to normal - a major bug will page oncall and if we need > to buy hardware for this it will probably be a month at best. Well, actually the we need it ASAP, but not something that should go oncall - so thanks for correcting that. And on the delay, I don't know whether we will need new hardware - can we just setup a system on throw-around hardware & keep the work running on it, till the new system gets ready?
Summary: MCS needs Dedicates Servers to host community sites → MCS needs Dedicated Servers to host community sites
This sounds like it should go through community IT, you guys just need hosting paid for, right?
Yeap this should be Community IT :) I shall set up a call with all placeholders next week to clarify things and set next steps :) Please hold this bug till then.
oops I mean "stakeholders" :)
For what I understand the process is: A community asks ReMo to host their website, if ReMo accepts it goes to IT. And we find what is best for them. I don't think ReMo needs to validate or not this bug, but only requests from the community. If hosting communities needs a dedicated server we will get 1 if they need independent VPS we will order them, etc... For example the .ro community needs a full dedicated server, mozilla-antarctica.org a VPS, etc... Not sure if I'm clear :)
Assignee: server-ops → nobody
Component: Server Operations → Community IT Requests
Product: mozilla.org → Mozilla Reps
QA Contact: cshields → community-it
Version: other → unspecified
We've done this one-off with the Mozilla Vietnam community (who are still working on their website) but having a policy and process would be good.
We should give communities a choice of hosting options and promote open source solution wherever possible. I have a lot of free space / bandwidth on my server. I can definitely manage a 2/3 low traffic community sites. Best, Paul
It would be great to get a dedicated server at Mozilla for mozilla.status.net https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=598917 // Paul
Did that call happen already? Did I missed something? :) Anyways, we would like to start with setting up our intranet as soon as possible, as we stopped everything until we have it.
I think each community waiting on something from this bug would do better to file an individual bug, e.g. bug 701646. See comment 6 in this bug.
Each community should request it's own "server" to host their content.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
mrz, can you help me with it, please? Where can i find you? IRC? Which nickname? I would really like to proceed with it as soon as possible...
File a bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mozilla%20Reps component community IT, and tell us what you need. You can find me (XioNoX) or Pierros on IRC if you need more informations.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.