Live streams requires Flash, but visiting without Flash doesn't say so

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1212652

Status

P2
normal
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1212652
7 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: jruderman, Assigned: richard)

Tracking

Trunk
x86_64
Mac OS X
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
https://air.mozilla.org/ just says "Do not adjust your television...", which makes it seem like it will work when the meeting starts. But it doesn't actually work unless you visit with Flash enabled.

Comment 1

6 years ago
While the site content is different the issue persists.  Now visiting the front page when a presentation is live gives me a button that says "Watch Now".  However, clicking on the button, which in this case -> https://air.mozilla.org/webdriver/ , not only doesn't play it, it also doesn't give any context that indicate to me that I don't have flash installed and that is the reason I don't see a video stream.

It should.  I happen to know that I need flash and this is the issue, but if I didn't I would A. be confused; and B. eventually conclude that Mozilla deceived me (intentionally or otherwise).  We should have the standard "Hey, you need flash installed; go here to do the thing" text+link on the page so that users can know what the issue is.

Additionally, it would be nice to have instructions (and a link) for how to report bugs/feedback at https://air.mozilla.org/about/ . I was given this bug link by asking in #airmozilla on IRC, but

- only X% of the potential watchers will be on IRC; this may be close to 100
- if a problem occurs, only Y% of these will consider filing a bug (optimistically, 30-50)
- if they don't know how/where to file a bug, only a small percentage of these will ask (say, 10)
- and I don't have statistics on it, but I have asked this question in the past on #airmozilla and gotten no answer

I can file a separate bug on this if desired.
(In reply to Jeff Hammel [:jhammel] from comment #1)
> While the site content is different the issue persists.  Now visiting the
> front page when a presentation is live gives me a button that says "Watch
> Now".  However, clicking on the button, which in this case ->
> https://air.mozilla.org/webdriver/ , not only doesn't play it, it also
> doesn't give any context that indicate to me that I don't have flash
> installed and that is the reason I don't see a video stream.
> 
> It should.  I happen to know that I need flash and this is the issue

Why do you think missing flash is the issue?

This looks like a vid.ly bug for me. On by Firefox without flash (Nightly on Linux) it constructs an iframe with an html5 video element as expected, with a src url of http://vid.ly/9f8s3w?content=video&format=webm. However that url returns an 3gpp file with h.263 video and amr-nb audio, not webm. Which Firefox correctly refuses to play.

Has vid.ly dropped webm support?

> Additionally, it would be nice to have instructions (and a link) for how to
> report bugs/feedback at https://air.mozilla.org/about/ .

Please open a separate bug for this.
And now the issue is fixed. For the src url redirects to cf.cdn.vid.ly/9f8s3w/webm.webm which is, indeed, a webm version of the video. And playback works without flash in https://air.mozilla.org/webdriver/

I'd suggest transcode delay is to blame, but this was posted 10 hours ago.

Comment 4

6 years ago
(In reply to Ralph Giles (:rillian) from comment #2)
> (In reply to Jeff Hammel [:jhammel] from comment #1)
> > While the site content is different the issue persists.  Now visiting the
> > front page when a presentation is live gives me a button that says "Watch
> > Now".  However, clicking on the button, which in this case ->
> > https://air.mozilla.org/webdriver/ , not only doesn't play it, it also
> > doesn't give any context that indicate to me that I don't have flash
> > installed and that is the reason I don't see a video stream.
> > 
> > It should.  I happen to know that I need flash and this is the issue
> 
> Why do you think missing flash is the issue?

So, I don't know for a fact.  What I do know is:

- the last several times I have tried to watch a live stream on this computer (which is flash-free) on airmozilla, the above has happened

- I have been told that (can't recall by whom/when, maybe 1.5 years ago) for live streaming, flash was the only thing which could scale as needed (possibly replaceable now/soon with webrtc)

- this happens when I visit with my flash-free work computers; when I have visited (historically, haven't live streamed something for awhile) with a flash-enabled computer, things work

Also, e.g. Jesse's initial filing, I have talked with others that encounter the same thing.  For that matter, no matter what technology we use, if the UA doesn't have that technology, IMHO it is better to indicate that the video is missing given the nature of AirMozilla

> This looks like a vid.ly bug for me. On by Firefox without flash (Nightly on
> Linux) it constructs an iframe with an html5 video element as expected, with
> a src url of http://vid.ly/9f8s3w?content=video&format=webm. However that
> url returns an 3gpp file with h.263 video and amr-nb audio, not webm. Which
> Firefox correctly refuses to play.
> 
> Has vid.ly dropped webm support?

I can, for (at least some, haven't checked all) archived videos, play them on this flash-free computer. Live streaming, not so much. (Not sure if that helps/is known.)
 
> > Additionally, it would be nice to have instructions (and a link) for how to
> > report bugs/feedback at https://air.mozilla.org/about/ .
> 
> Please open a separate bug for this.

Filed: bug 839246
(In reply to Jeff Hammel [:jhammel] from comment #4)

> - I have been told that (can't recall by whom/when, maybe 1.5 years ago) for
> live streaming, flash was the only thing which could scale as needed
> (possibly replaceable now/soon with webrtc)

That's not true. The Icecast and EntropyWave test streams we experimented with last year work scale ok. But no one has been working on them.

Anyway, I can confirm this. The currently running live stream requires flash and offers no fallback, no video placeholder at all, if the user doesn't have flash. I can generally play the recorded videos in the archive which server vid.ly's html5 player iframe without flash.

Comment 6

4 years ago
Mozilla using Flash to provide videos is beyond pathetic. It's laughable.
(Assignee)

Updated

4 years ago
Component: Streaming → Air Mozilla
Product: Air Mozilla → Webtools
Version: unspecified → Trunk
(Assignee)

Updated

4 years ago
Priority: -- → P2
(Assignee)

Updated

4 years ago
Assignee: nobody → richard
(Assignee)

Updated

4 years ago
Priority: P2 → P3
Priority: P3 → P2
Summary: Air Mozilla requires Flash, but visiting without Flash doesn't say so → Live streams requires Flash, but visiting without Flash doesn't say so
(Assignee)

Comment 7

3 years ago
Theoplayer will eliminate this.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1212652
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.