I've set up this new profile with two accounts. Activity manager is not telling me that messages are being indexed (ergo both accounts have been indexed by now). I wanted to search for banner to see standard8 emails I know i have on that account (as it's being subscribed to the mozmill mailing list). Results are empty. I tried to search for mark banner, and get prompted for auto completion to another mark that I got email on that account. Mark banner doesn't show up any results either. Using the QFB I filtered for bann and get 11 messages. I can save the gloda db and msf files for that account, I can even share the account credentials (it's a gmail one). More importantly how do we figure out why some messages aren't indexed ? what logging, debugging flags can I set to figure out what is going on ?
sorry for the spam , indexing was still going on - but not visible in the activity manager
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
So isn't there a problem why it is not shown? This happened to me too on a clean new profile indexing all messages on IMAP. It couldn't find messages that must have been there.
http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/components/activity/modules/glodaIndexer.js#211 (in onJobCompleted:) // We only create activity events when specific folders get indexed, // since event-driven indexing jobs are too numerous. We also only create // them when we ended up indexing something in the folder, since otherwise // we'd spam the activity manager with too many "indexed 0 messages" items // that aren't useful enough to justify their presence in the manager. // TODO: Aggregate event-driven indexing jobs into batches significant // enough for us to create activity events for them. Presumably the indexing Ludovic is experiencing is being driven by auto-sync downloading the messages bit by bit in the background and event-driven indexing processing things. This should result in the activity manager showing something while the event-driven indexing is going on, but it won't leave a historical item behind when it finishes. The rationale is that the log would be full of: (gloda indexed 1 item) (gloda indexed 1 item) (gloda indexed 2 items). It's conceivable that gloda is fast enough on fast hardware that the items don't stay up there very long. Since auto-sync operates on a folder-by-folder basis and so the event-driven indexing will effectively be operating out of a small number of folders at a time, there's definitely an argument for having gloda's activity monitor go to a little more work to try and leave useful historical blobs. It could also just update a blob that shows a tally for event-driven indexing. That should likely be marked as an enhancement request with "[gloda key]" in the whiteboard.
Also, ludo, you probably want to be using glodaquilla which adds that extra column so you can see if a message has been indexed by gloda or not. You may need to force its compatibility a bit (or try and bribe rkent :)
(In reply to Andrew Sutherland (:asuth) from comment #4) > Also, ludo, you probably want to be using glodaquilla which adds that extra > column so you can see if a message has been indexed by gloda or not. You > may need to force its compatibility a bit (or try and bribe rkent :) Yeah that was my way to go. but wanted to leave a bit more time. I just thought that not seeing any indexing activity meant indexing was done.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.