Remove "a1"/"a2" part from the Gecko/ version number in UA string

RESOLVED FIXED in mozilla13

Status

()

Core
Networking: HTTP
--
major
RESOLVED FIXED
6 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: hsivonen, Assigned: dao)

Tracking

Trunk
mozilla13
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: fixed by bug 572659)

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
Bug 588909 broke Zimbra, because Zimbra can deal with "Gecko/13.0" followed by a space in the UA string but can't deal with "Gecko/13.0a1".

Let's drop the "a1"/"a2" part there to make Nightly and Aurora get sniffed like Beta and Release will get sniffed and to make Zimbra work right now.
(Assignee)

Updated

6 years ago
Assignee: nobody → dao
We should also drop ".0" because "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0.1) Gecko/13.0.1 Firefox/13.0.1" didn't work for me. "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0.1) Gecko/13 Firefox/13.0.1" worked.
(Assignee)

Comment 2

6 years ago
(In reply to Masatoshi Kimura [:emk] from comment #1)
> We should also drop ".0" because "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0.1)
> Gecko/13.0.1 Firefox/13.0.1" didn't work for me. "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
> 5.1; rv:13.0.1) Gecko/13 Firefox/13.0.1" worked.

My plan is to fix bug 572659, so we'd get this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/13.0 Firefox/13.0.1

(The patch there doesn't currently affect the Firefox token.)
(Reporter)

Comment 3

6 years ago
(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #2)
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/13.0 Firefox/13.0.1
> 
> (The patch there doesn't currently affect the Firefox token.)

Does .0 in the number after Gecko/ serve any purpose?

If the number after Firefox/ gives more detail, we'll probably see more Firefox sniffing over time because people are attracted by detail, but then there's already so much Firefox sniffing out there that trying to evangelize Gecko sniffing is a battle against windmills anyway.
(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #2)
> (The patch there doesn't currently affect the Firefox token.)

Do you intend to fix that later, or is that "as designed"?

(In reply to Henri Sivonen (:hsivonen) from comment #3)
> Does .0 in the number after Gecko/ serve any purpose?

Consistency. And, depending on Dao's answer to the question above, your point about equivalent detail may come into play.

Dao: I can't see you on IRC. Are you online and working on this right now? If so, please ping me.

Gerv
(Assignee)

Comment 5

6 years ago
(In reply to Henri Sivonen (:hsivonen) from comment #3)
> (In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #2)
> > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/13.0 Firefox/13.0.1
> > 
> > (The patch there doesn't currently affect the Firefox token.)
> 
> Does .0 in the number after Gecko/ serve any purpose?

We can count on scripts expecting the dot after rv: and in the Firefox token. So, if we have the second number there, I suspect people will avoid the Gecko token, thinking it's less accurate.

> If the number after Firefox/ gives more detail,

This can be fixed.
(Assignee)

Updated

6 years ago
Depends on: 572659

Comment 6

6 years ago
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/13.0 Firefox/13.0.1

+1
"13.0", not: "13", "13.0.1", "13.0a1"
Although I'd drop the .1 in the Firefox part, too. Rationale in bug 572659.
(Assignee)

Updated

6 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: fixed by bug 572659
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla13

Comment 7

6 years ago
(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #5)
> (In reply to Henri Sivonen (:hsivonen) from comment #3)
> > If the number after Firefox/ gives more detail,
> 
> This can be fixed.

Dão filed bug 728831 for those looking for it.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.