Created attachment 613550 [details] tb-copy-email-address.mov User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_3) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19 Steps to reproduce: Open an email within the preview pane, and copy the email. It sometimes copies, and sometime doesn't copy. I'm not sure if it being in the preview pane is relevant, as I didn't get a chance to try it in its own tab/window. Video demonstrates this. When TB remains in the background, I am using right click and then left click. When it's brought to the foreground, I am using left and then left click. Actual results: Sometimes copy, sometime doesn't copy Expected results: Always copy
Are you copying from local folder to local folder, from imap to local from local to imap ?
I'm not trying to copy the message, but rather, the email address. The video in the attachment demonstrates what I'm trying to do :)
tech163, thanks for providing the video demonstration, but it is very fast and not easy to understand. Can you add steps to reproduce in writing, please?
1) right click on the To address, and click 'Copy Email Address'. Paste content somewhere to see if it copied successfully. If it did: 2) right click on the From address, and click 'Copy Email Address'. Paste content somewhere to see if it copied successfully. If it did, try again with the To address. It works properly around 80% of the time, but the other 20% of time, it doesn't copy.
(In reply to tech163 from comment #4) Thx! > It works properly around 80% of the time, but the other 20% of time, it > doesn't copy. where "doesn't copy" means what? - when pasting, nothing is pasted - when pasting, it doesn't paste the expected address, but current (previously existing) content of clipboard is pasted (previously copied address, in this case)
> when pasting, it doesn't paste the expected address, but current (previously existing) content of clipboard is pasted (previously copied address, in this case) The latter seems to be the case :)
tech163: - did this problem ever occur during the *first* attempt of copying one of the email addresses? (as opposed to repeated attempts as in STR of comment 4)? - did this problem ever occur when clicking decidedly at normal speed (ensuring you clicked nicely on the menu item, and double-checking exactly which address you last copied)? - does this problem occur when you trigger the menu with left-click or right-click, or both? (the difference being that left-click doesn't move focus, which is another bug)
tech163, maybe you got confused by wrong indication of focus (another bug in TB)? STR - right(!)-click on from-address (message reader, header pane) - "copy email address" - paste into text editor -> from-address correctly pasted -> dotted focus border correctly on from-address - left(!)-click on *to*-address - "copy email address" - paste into text editor -> *to*-address correctly pasted -> dotted focus border wrongly still on from-address -> get confused - "which one did I copy? If focus is on from-address, I must have copied from-address, but last address in text editor is to-address, so TB must have copied the wrong one!" - perhaps this confusion because of wrong focus which can create impression of this bug? I don't see this bug on winXP/TB12.0.1, so this is wfm.
I'm able to reproduce this by using right click on the various addresses on my Mac. This is weird because I wasn't able to exactly reproduce it with my Macbook's trackpad. However, with an external mouse made by Microsoft, it constantly happens. Perhaps come compatibility issue of Thunderbird on Mac with Windows mouse?
(In reply to tech163 from comment #9) > I'm able to reproduce this by using right click on the various addresses on > my Mac. This is weird because I wasn't able to exactly reproduce it with my > Macbook's trackpad. However, with an external mouse made by Microsoft, it > constantly happens. Perhaps come compatibility issue of Thunderbird on Mac > with Windows mouse? Very possible. Not everybody is happy with performance of MS mice on MAC, as seen on this randomly picked page: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29220/microsoft-mouse If it doesn't happen with MAC trackpad, isn't that a good sign already that this is not a TB bug? To be honest, I think it's *very* unlikely that we have a bug here, and it's not something people will do excessively or multiple times on the same message at excessive speed... btw: Detailed answers to comment 7 (in note form under the question), and at least an acknowledgement of comment 8 would still be helpful. Comment 9 doesn't answer all of these exactly, and it's harder to parse as a block even if it had all the answers.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
tech163, thank you!
Summary: Inconsistent Copy Email Address → "Copy Email Address" sometimes seems to copy the previously copied email address
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.