Purchase history should be shown on app detail page

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

Marketplace
Consumer Pages
P3
normal
RESOLVED WONTFIX
6 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: cvan, Unassigned)

Tracking

({uiwanted})

uiwanted
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
Compare purchase history on here

    https://marketplace-dev.allizom.org/en-US/purchases/

to a detail page for an app you've purchased:

    https://marketplace-dev.allizom.org/en-US/app/seavans-undersea-adventure/
No design, use good judgement
Blocks: 752013
No longer blocks: 735054
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Assignee: nobody → cvan
Target Milestone: --- → 2012-05-17
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Target Milestone: 2012-05-17 → 2012-05-24
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Assignee: cvan → nobody
Blocks: 756282
Component: Public Pages → Consumer Pages
Product: addons.mozilla.org → Marketplace
QA Contact: web-ui → consumer-pages
Whiteboard: [woomp]
Target Milestone: 2012-05-24 → 2012-05-31
Version: unspecified → 1.0
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Assignee: nobody → cvan
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Target Milestone: 2012-05-31 → 2012-06-07
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Blocks: 758414
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Depends on: 761906
(Reporter)

Comment 2

6 years ago
We agreed that there's not room for this on mobile. CC'ing UX to start a discussion of whether we want this for desktop/tablet.
Assignee: cvan → nobody
No longer blocks: 756282
Whiteboard: [woomp] → [ui]
Target Milestone: 2012-06-07 → ---
Chris - when you say there isn't room, do you mean having the install button show different states (like maybe it says "open") if the app is installed? Or something else?

My plan:
- A separate purchase history containing all apps will be available from the settings menu.
- The install button for an app will have three possible "states"
  1. app has never been installed by user - show price/install (free?)
  2. app is currently installed - show "open" (launches the app)
  3. app has been installed but removed - show something else, perhaps "re-install"?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

6 years ago
(In reply to msandberg from comment #3)
> Chris - when you say there isn't room, do you mean having the install button
> show different states (like maybe it says "open") if the app is installed?
> Or something else?

Immediately after a purchase, what indication should there be that I just paid $0.99 for this app? And in the future if I go to this detail page how do I know if I have purchased it and, if so, for how much?

> My plan:
> - A separate purchase history containing all apps will be available from the
> settings menu.

Purchase history lives at https://marketplace-dev.allizom.org/en-US/purchases/

What it currently looks like:
http://cl.ly/1x012M203P3e2n1p2u0W

Mockups of what it might look like in the near future:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=632406
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=632407

We've had a lot of complaints in our Mozillian preview release that people do not know how to request support, whether they purchased, when they purchased the app, etc.

> - The install button for an app will have three possible "states"
>   1. app has never been installed by user - show price/install (free?)

For free apps we currently show "Install": http://f.cl.ly/items/233b1U3C0m2h2P3Q0p19/Screen%20shot%202012-06-20%20at%2010.45.05%20AM.png

>   2. app is currently installed - show "open" (launches the app)

From within the Marketplace we unfortunately can't launch an external app in B2G or on desktop. We currently show "Installed": http://f.cl.ly/items/0S0V1d2o0T2a111a462s/Screen%20shot%202012-06-20%20at%2010.43.42%20AM.png

>   3. app has been installed but removed - show something else, perhaps
> "re-install"?

We currently show "Installed" but we could say this. What if the app has been installed on my desktop but not on my B2G device? What do we say in this case?
(In reply to Chris Van Wiemeersch [:cvan] from comment #4)
> Immediately after a purchase, what indication should there be that I just
> paid $0.99 for this app? And in the future if I go to this detail page how
> do I know if I have purchased it and, if so, for how much?

The receipt should fill this function. 
Future purchase history mocks look fine for now. They will be altered slightly to fit into the the "settings" page. 

Regarding the button states, how about this? 
- The install button for an app will have four possible "states"
  1. app has never been installed by user - show "price/free"
  2. app is being downloaded - show "installing", grayed out, inactive button
  3. app is currently installed - show "installed" grayed out, inactive button
  4. app has been installed but removed, or purchased for different device - show "install"

4. assumes that we are working with a payment model where the developer sells one copy of an app for all the users devices for one price. This is not what other platforms do, generally, but might make more sense for us :)
Keywords: uiwanted
Whiteboard: [ui]
Purchase history now lives under the settings page, bug 758437 comment 1
(Reporter)

Comment 7

6 years ago
(In reply to msandberg from comment #6)
> Purchase history now lives under the settings page, bug 758437 comment 1

Looks good. So, per comment 5, no indication of purchased state from an app's detail page, correct?
(In reply to Chris Van Wiemeersch [:cvan] from comment #7)
> Looks good. So, per comment 5, no indication of purchased state from an
> app's detail page, correct?

That's correct.
wontfixing based on comment 8
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
(Reporter)

Comment 10

6 years ago
(In reply to Maria Sandberg [:mushi] from comment #8)
> (In reply to Chris Van Wiemeersch [:cvan] from comment #7)
> > Looks good. So, per comment 5, no indication of purchased state from an
> > app's detail page, correct?
> 
> That's correct.

So would clicking on "Support" then tell the user that he/she has paid for the app and is able to get support/refunds? In the new designs, I'm on the detail page for Evernote and I want to see if I'm purchased it, I need to find the "Home" button, then click the "Account Settings" gear icon, then click on the "Apps" tab, then find the app in the list to see whether I've purchased it (http://cl.ly/2U0g2m2A3g0l0c203i1k).

I'm worried this is too many steps. What can we do to surface this info. sooner to the user?

(In reply to Maria Sandberg [:mushi] from comment #5)
>   4. app has been installed but removed, or purchased for different device -
> show "install"

On Mac/Windows, when you natively uninstall an app it still shows up as Installed (this is bug 749033). And there is more discussion about this in bug 710062. Someone said to show "Reinstall" instead of "Installed" (bug 710062 comment 16).
(In reply to Chris Van Wiemeersch [:cvan] from comment #10)
> So would clicking on "Support" then tell the user that he/she has paid for
> the app and is able to get support/refunds? In the new designs, I'm on the
> detail page for Evernote and I want to see if I'm purchased it, I need to
> find the "Home" button, then click the "Account Settings" gear icon, then
> click on the "Apps" tab, then find the app in the list to see whether I've
> purchased it (http://cl.ly/2U0g2m2A3g0l0c203i1k).

Per comment 5 this would be indicated by the button saying "installed" and being grayed out. If any new information on the launch from Marketplace discussion in bug 710062 surfaces, this might change. This cue should be enough for users to understand if they have purchased it before or not. 

> On Mac/Windows, when you natively uninstall an app it still shows up as
> Installed (this is bug 749033). And there is more discussion about this in
> bug 710062. Someone said to show "Reinstall" instead of "Installed" (bug
> 710062 comment 16).

Let's figure this out in bug 710062 first, whatever we decide there will affect this.
Updated button states based on information from bug 710062:

Regarding the button states, how about this? 
- The install button for an app will have four possible "states"
  1. app has never been installed by user - show "price/free"
  2. app is being downloaded - show "installing", grayed out, inactive button
  3. app is currently installed - show "open", clicking button will launch app
  4. app has been installed but removed, or purchased for different device - show "install"
(Reporter)

Comment 13

6 years ago
(In reply to Maria Sandberg [:mushi] from comment #11)
> (In reply to Chris Van Wiemeersch [:cvan] from comment #10)
> > So would clicking on "Support" then tell the user that he/she has paid for
> > the app and is able to get support/refunds? In the new designs, I'm on the
> > detail page for Evernote and I want to see if I'm purchased it, I need to
> > find the "Home" button, then click the "Account Settings" gear icon, then
> > click on the "Apps" tab, then find the app in the list to see whether I've
> > purchased it (http://cl.ly/2U0g2m2A3g0l0c203i1k).
> 
> Per comment 5 this would be indicated by the button saying "installed" and
> being grayed out. If any new information on the launch from Marketplace
> discussion in bug 710062 surfaces, this might change. This cue should be
> enough for users to understand if they have purchased it before or not. 

But "installed" does not imply "purchased." And since the only indication of price was on the button that originally said "$0.99" there's no indication that I bought this paid app. What can we do in this case?
(In reply to Chris Van Wiemeersch [:cvan] from comment #13)
> But "installed" does not imply "purchased." And since the only indication of
> price was on the button that originally said "$0.99" there's no indication
> that I bought this paid app. What can we do in this case?

This is the same discussion as in bug 758437 comment 11. From a UX perspective, we don't have to (and I think we shouldn't) display receipts in the Marketplace.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.