[Firefox Beta] Share Firefox Beta Snippet

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

RESOLVED FIXED
6 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: gjimenez, Assigned: mkelly)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
Hi Winston, 

We briefly talked about this yesterday, but I was wondering if we can have a snippet that enables current Beta users to share Firefox Beta in their twitter/facebook network. 

I believe we are already working on this functionality from bug 725697.

Design: 

Tara, 
Im not sure if we need a new design here or if we can just use the same format as bug 725697. And use an image we've used in the past for the snippet icon. Let me know if you have any suggestions on the icon we can use. 

Copy: 
Matej, 

For copy, we need two things: 
1. Copy for the snippet 
2. Default copy for the twitter/facebook share

1. Copy Snippet: Something along the lines of...
Redesigned about:home page / New Tab Feature:  Share Firefox Beta and tell your friends about Firefox Beta's new look and features. 

2. Default copy for the twitter/facebook share: Something along the lines of...
Have you seen the new Firefox Beta? Check out the new features and Get Firefox Beta now. 


It would be great if we can have the copy by next week. 
And push this live by the 14th, since these new features and look are going on GA by 1st week of June. 

This will give us a 3 weeks before Firefox 13 GA. 

Chris, Can you please advise if the share functionality can be available by the 14th of May?

Thanks!
(Reporter)

Comment 1

6 years ago
Matej,

Just a quick update on the copy, 
can we also get a more general firefox beta messaging copy (not feature/release related). This is something we can use more long term (even after Fx 13 release).


1. Copy Snippet: Something along the lines of...
Love Firefox Beta? Tell your friends and invite them to start using Firefox Beta.

2.Default copy for the twitter/facebook share: Something along the lines of...
I used Firefox Beta. I help test Firefox and contribute in making it more awesome. 

Thanks

Comment 2

6 years ago
Is this Snippet a specific implementation of the social sharing snippet work?

Also, this snippet should be added to the project backlog log which is growing while the team leads are trying to prioritize the to-do projects. We are loosing two weeks of dev time in May by a web development offsite and an engagement offsite only weeks apart. The Firefox Beta Snippet and the Feature Sneak Peek Snippet both are needed on the same time in May and probably not all possible if the other snippet work also need to move forward.

Comment 3

6 years ago
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #2)
> Is this Snippet a specific implementation of the social sharing snippet work?

I believe so, yes. 
We'd be using the same functionality, but updating the snippet icon and copy.


(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #0)

> Im not sure if we need a new design here or if we can just use the same
> format as bug 725697. And use an image we've used in the past for the
> snippet icon. Let me know if you have any suggestions on the icon we can
> use. 

I don't think we need new designs, but a mockup will probably be helpful.
What is the default/existing snippet icon you were thinking of using here?

> 
> 
> For copy, we need two things: 
> 1. Copy for the snippet 
> 2. Default copy for the twitter/facebook share


You'll need a default image for the facebook share as well. 
Adding Lee to help with the design portion here.

Comment 4

6 years ago
[FX13 VERSION]

[SNIPPET COPY]

Share Firefox Beta and tell your friends about our latest features, like New Tab and the redesigned about:home page.

[SHARE COPY]

Have you seen the new Firefox Beta? Get it now and check out the latest features.


[GENERAL VERSION]

[SNIPPET COPY]

Love Firefox Beta? Tell your friends and invite them to be a part of our next version.

[SHARE COPY]

I use Firefox Beta to help test features and make Firefox more awesome. Give it a try.

Comment 5

6 years ago
Sorry, meant to add a comment there. Hopefully I understood what you were looking for properly. Have a look at comment 4 and let me know.
(Assignee)

Comment 6

6 years ago
Just an FYI: While looking into implementation for bug 725697, I could only customize the share text for Twitter. Facebook doesn't let you customize the share text.

Comment 7

6 years ago
Adding a note on schedule:

Due to PTO and Work Weeks we are targeting May 30th for this one.

Mkelly and Grace are both OK with this date.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

6 years ago
Hi Ben, 

This is fine. 

Matej, I will update the copy requirements since Firefox 13 will already be in GA by then.

Thanks for the update

Comment 9

6 years ago
Grace: Can you provide the final copy for this?

Comment 10

6 years ago
Here is the full list of what we are waiting for:

1. Final copy
2. Link we want to share
3. Locales this is going to (given timeline we are guessing us-only)

Once you add the above to this bug, we can have Michael work on this.
(Reporter)

Comment 11

6 years ago
Hi Matej, 

Since implementation will be after Fx13 - the snippet copy would be more general.

[GENERAL VERSION]

[SNIPPET COPY]

Love Firefox Beta? Tell your friends and invite them to be a part of our next version.

-it would be great if we can highlight the benefits of being 'part of the next version' whether that's seeing new features or contributing to making firefox more awesome. 

- here are some suggestions...
Love Firefox Beta? Tell your friends and invite them....
1. see the latest features / sneak peek of what's coming in Firefox 
2. invite them to be a part of team that makes Firefox even more awesome  


[SHARE COPY]

I use Firefox Beta to help test features and make Firefox more awesome. Give it a try.

- minor tweak. adding new/latest/upcoming
I use Firefox Beta to help test new/latest/upcoming features and make Firefox more awesome. Get the latest Firefox Beta now.
(Reporter)

Comment 12

6 years ago
(In reply to Ben (:bensternthal) from comment #10)
> Here is the full list of what we are waiting for:
> 
> 1. Final copy
- finalizing the copy

> 2. Link we want to share
- http://www.mozilla.org/firefoxbeta?WT.mc_id=fb_share_enus_1&WT.mc_ev=click

> 3. Locales this is going to (given timeline we are guessing us-only)
- en-us for now. 
- and roll out de, fr, it, ru, pl in a couple of weeks.
> 
> Once you add the above to this bug, we can have Michael work on this.


Thanks!
Here you go:


[GENERAL VERSION]

[SNIPPET COPY]

Love Firefox Beta? Invite your friends to get a sneak peek of what's coming soon to Firefox.


[SHARE COPY]

I use Firefox Beta to help test the latest features and make Firefox more awesome. Give it a try.
(Assignee)

Comment 14

6 years ago
What part of the snippet copy is supposed to be linked? "Invite your friends"?
(Reporter)

Comment 15

6 years ago
(In reply to Michael Kelly [:mkelly] from comment #14)
> What part of the snippet copy is supposed to be linked? "Invite your
> friends"?

Do we need an additional link in the copy? Or is it sufficient to have the share buttons already?

If we need to link something in the copy, probably "Firefox Beta" which will then go to the http://www.mozilla.org/firefoxbeta page. 

The Twitter and Facebook buttons will then open the share copy right?

Will there a link for the twitter share button? facebook share button?

if you can please confirm, so I can get a webtrends campaign codes for all the links: Firefox beta page, Share Twitter, Share Facebook links. 



thanks
(Assignee)

Comment 16

6 years ago
Oh, sorry. The original share snippet design had a link that popped up the share buttons when the user hovered over it. I was wondering which part of the text we wanted to trigger the share bubble with. It wouldn't actually be a link to anything, so we won't need new campaign codes.

So the question is: Which part of the text do we want to trigger the sharing popup?

Also I now notice that the link above uses fb in the campaign code; do we have another link specifically for the Twitter sharing?
(Reporter)

Comment 17

6 years ago
(In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #13)
> Here you go:
> 
> 
> [GENERAL VERSION]
> 
> [SNIPPET COPY]
> 
> Love Firefox Beta? Invite your friends to get a sneak peek of what's coming
> soon to Firefox.
> 
> 
> [SHARE COPY]
> 
> I use Firefox Beta to help test the latest features and make Firefox more
> awesome. Give it a try.


Hi Matej, 
Is it possible to get a few options.
Now that Im looking at the snippet copy and the share copy, the share copy doesnt seem to match the snippet copy. 

suggestions below:

snippet copy: sneak peek (current snippet copy is fine) --> share copy:I use Firefox Beta. Get early access to the latest features and provide provide feedback. Try Firefox Beta. (or something around that nature)

snippet copy: test features & makes Firefox even more awesome  --> the current share copy is fine. I use Firefox Beta to help test the latest features and make Firefox more awesome. Give it a try.

Thanks!
(Reporter)

Comment 18

6 years ago
(In reply to Michael Kelly [:mkelly] from comment #16)
> Oh, sorry. The original share snippet design had a link that popped up the
> share buttons when the user hovered over it. I was wondering which part of
> the text we wanted to trigger the share bubble with. It wouldn't actually be
> a link to anything, so we won't need new campaign codes.
> 
> So the question is: Which part of the text do we want to trigger the sharing
> popup?
> 
> Also I now notice that the link above uses fb in the campaign code; do we
> have another link specifically for the Twitter sharing?

Hi mkelly, 

Just to summarize our conversation from irc: 
- Still finalizing copy.
- Use this layout but without the copy. Just the twitter and facebook icon: https://bug725697.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=616352  

- Here are the links with webtrends code: 
Copy 1: 
Twitter Link: fb_share_tw_us_1: http://www.mozilla.org/?WT.mc_id=fb_share_tw_us_1&WT.mc_ev=click
Facebook Link: fb_share_fb_us_1: http://www.mozilla.org/?WT.mc_id=fb_share_fb_us_1&WT.mc_ev=click

Copy 2:
Twitter Link: fb_share_tw_us_2: http://www.mozilla.org/?WT.mc_id=fb_share_tw_us_2&WT.mc_ev=click
facebook link: fb_share_fb_us_2: http://www.mozilla.org/?WT.mc_id=fb_share_fb_us_2&WT.mc_ev=click

These links would track the referrals.
- Lastly, it would be great if we can also track clicks/shares (but not a blocker for this bug).

Thanks. Please let me know if you need anything else.
FWIW, I don't think they have to be literally the same. The reason someone might be compelled to tell their friends about Beta might not be the same as the reason they would use to get them to download it. We're talking about the difference between current users, who understand it, and potential new users, who may need to be convinced, or at least need to be given some information.

Here's what you're asking for in comment 17, but I still prefer the pairing from comment 13.


[VERSION 1]

[SNIPPET COPY]

Love Firefox Beta? Invite your friends to get a sneak peek of what's coming soon to Firefox.

[SHARE COPY]

I use Firefox Beta to get a sneak peek at the latest features and innovations coming soon to Firefox. Check it out.


[VERSION 2]

[SNIPPET COPY]

Thanks for using Firefox Beta to help make Firefox more awesome. Now invite your friends to give it a try.

[SHARE COPY]

I use Firefox Beta to help test the latest features and make Firefox more awesome. Give it a try.
(Reporter)

Comment 20

6 years ago
(In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #19)
> FWIW, I don't think they have to be literally the same. The reason someone
> might be compelled to tell their friends about Beta might not be the same as
> the reason they would use to get them to download it. We're talking about
> the difference between current users, who understand it, and potential new
> users, who may need to be convinced, or at least need to be given some
> information.
> 
> Here's what you're asking for in comment 17, but I still prefer the pairing
> from comment 13.
> 
> 
> [VERSION 1]
> 
> [SNIPPET COPY]
> 
> Love Firefox Beta? Invite your friends to get a sneak peek of what's coming
> soon to Firefox.
> 
> [SHARE COPY]
> 
> I use Firefox Beta to get a sneak peek at the latest features and
> innovations coming soon to Firefox. Check it out.
> 
> 
> [VERSION 2]
> 
> [SNIPPET COPY]
> 
> Thanks for using Firefox Beta to help make Firefox more awesome. Now invite
> your friends to give it a try.
> 
> [SHARE COPY]
> 
> I use Firefox Beta to help test the latest features and make Firefox more
> awesome. Give it a try.

Thanks Matej!
Copy looks great!!!!
(Reporter)

Comment 21

6 years ago
Mkelly, 

Do you have everything you need for this bug?
We are set with the copy. comment 19
Links are provided. comment 18.

We can go with the en-US for now and will get the copy localize to implement as we get the localized versions.

Thanks!
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Blocks: 762375
(Assignee)

Comment 22

6 years ago
Only thing left that we need is the icon.

Comment 23

6 years ago
Created attachment 630992 [details]
Firefox beta snippet - 40x50px

Attaching the FFx Beta snippet here. Do you need to see this start page mocked up?
(Assignee)

Comment 24

6 years ago
No, I think we should be fine. Thanks!
(Assignee)

Comment 25

6 years ago
Code for this snippet is done and up on stage. Use the following settings in the Snippets Preview Addon:

base_url: https://snippets.stage.mozilla.com
name: beta-share

grace: Can you check the snippet to make sure it looks good to you?
retornam: Can you double check to verify the snippet works properly and doesn't break anything? Thanks! 

Once both of you confirm I'll generate the second version and put both versions up on prod for you to enable.
(Reporter)

Comment 26

6 years ago
Hi mkelly, 

am I suppose to update any of of the other fields?
(Assignee)

Comment 27

6 years ago
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #26)
> Hi mkelly, 
> 
> am I suppose to update any of of the other fields?

Nope, those should be all you need. Feel free to ping me on IRC if it's not working.
(In reply to Michael Kelly [:mkelly] from comment #27)
> (In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #26)
> > Hi mkelly, 
> > 
> > am I suppose to update any of of the other fields?
> 
> Nope, those should be all you need. Feel free to ping me on IRC if it's not
> working.

The snippet works. I tested posting to link from the snippet page to  Facebook and Twitter  and both actions work as expected
(Reporter)

Comment 29

6 years ago
Hi Mkelly, 

this looks good: http://cl.ly/0p1b032A3Z0G3f1a020h
Please go ahead and push this live. 
Can you please make sure we have the webtrends code attached.

Thanks!
(Assignee)

Comment 30

6 years ago
Both versions of the snippet are up on production waiting to be enabled. I tested them in preview mode and they work as expected.
Assignee: wbowden → mkelly
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.