Debug builds spew "### ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64: The specified module could not be found." messages

RESOLVED FIXED in mozilla19

Status

()

defect
RESOLVED FIXED
7 years ago
7 years ago

People

(Reporter: markh, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
mozilla19
x86_64
Windows 7
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

Reporter

Description

7 years ago
I just ran a debug build of FF, let it sit there for 3 minutes and closed it.  This resulted in over 1300 occurrences of the message "### ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64: The specified module could not be found." to be printed.  The message seems useless - maybe printing it once would make sense, but given no other details are available and no action can be taken to make it stop, the message should just die.

It is also possible this impacts TBPL builds, where the message "Output exceeded 52428800 bytes, remaining output has been truncated" is common (eg, https://tbpl.mozilla.org/php/getParsedLog.php?id=15707176&tree=Mozilla-Inbound)
Reporter

Updated

7 years ago
Version: 16 Branch → Trunk
Reporter

Comment 1

7 years ago
I kinda guessed the component and possible reviewer - please reassign if I got it wrong!
Attachment #666843 - Flags: review?(ehsan)

Comment 2

7 years ago
Comment on attachment 666843 [details] [diff] [review]
Remove the PrintError call

Review of attachment 666843 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This looks fine, but let's ask dbaron to take a look as well.
Attachment #666843 - Flags: review?(ehsan) → review?(dbaron)

Updated

7 years ago
Component: Gecko Profiler → XPCOM
Comment on attachment 666843 [details] [diff] [review]
Remove the PrintError call

ok, I suppose.  Seems bad that it's failing, given the comments, though.
Attachment #666843 - Flags: review?(dbaron) → review+
Reporter

Comment 4

7 years ago
(In reply to David Baron [:dbaron] from comment #3)
> Comment on attachment 666843 [details] [diff] [review]
> Remove the PrintError call
> 
> ok, I suppose.  Seems bad that it's failing, given the comments, though.

Yeah - I suspect the address end up being in Windows modules where symbolic information isn't available - or something like that :)  It seems to be working OK for all "our" modules.

https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound/rev/7b582c09463b
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/7b582c09463b
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla19
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.