Hi there - if a Facebook chat window is open within my browser it wont let me click and type in to a Google doc. If I close the chat it lets me type.
I reproduced this the first time I tried it but now I can't seem to reproduce any longer. It seems that there is some certain set of conditions that reproduce this. Shannon, could you try to narrow down a reproducible set of steps to reproduce? or does this happen all the time for you?
hey anthony - try sending something in a chat and then clicking back into the google doc. sorry i wasn't more specific.
Yeah, that's what I was trying. Reproduced once but never again it seems. However, I'm on Linux, could be Mac only?
I can consistently reproduce on osx. It seems something specific to how google docs works, since I can focus and type into bugzilla just fine with chat open.
- open google doc and type something
- open a chat and type something
- click in the doc area and try to type, the text goes into the chat box
- switch tabs to something else, then back to doc
- click in doc and you can type again
- click in chat and type
- click back into doc, you can no longer type.
(In reply to Shane Caraveo (:mixedpuppy) from comment #4)
> I can consistently reproduce on osx. It seems something specific to how
> google docs works, since I can focus and type into bugzilla just fine with
> chat open.
In addition to the things Shane mentioned, I also noticed that my mouse wouldn't click or select text in the chat window while I was on a Google doc page
I have no NPAPI plugins enabled and am able to reproduce. Further, it has nothing to do specifically with chat. I can repro with:
- open google doc, type something
- click in the search box at the bottom of the sidebar
- click back into google doc, try to type (it appears in the sidebar search box)
Same issue on Windows. A "clue" this is goign to happen is the fact the caret is still blinking in the chatbox. As soon as you switch tabs etc, the caret vanishes and things all work correctly.
I guess that's why I'm not seeing this on Linux; I can't see the "carat still blinking in chat" when I click in a Google Doc with the chat window open.
This seems quite significant. I wonder how many other sites might be similarly broken. I don't think we can ship with this so marking Dx17.
This is a general firefox bug unrelated to socialapi. Here is how you can reproduce the problem.
1. open the bookmarks sidebar
2. right click in an empty area and choose add new bookmark
3. enter about:home for the url (assuming you haven't changed about:home)
4. click "open in sidebar"
5. save bookmark
6. click on bookmark in sidebar
You should have the firefox/google search page.
7. open some google document and edit
8. click in the search box in the sidebar, type something
9. click in the google document, try to type something
You'll see your typing appear in the search box in the sidebar.
I created bug 799299 for this issue, not sure if we want to block on that.
Fixed via bug 799299
(fixed for 17 and 18 in bug 799299)
Verified fixed. Flagging this for in-moztrap to create a Web-compat with Social API smoketest.