Closed Bug 803988 Opened 9 years ago Closed 3 years ago

[l10n]String changes for Gaia l10n strings without changing entity name

Categories

(Firefox OS Graveyard :: Gaia, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED WONTFIX

People

(Reporter: aryx, Unassigned)

Details

Some localizations started before the string freeze, done by developers for testing reasons. Unfortunately, changes to improve the strings were done without changing the entity name and updating the translations.

Examples (as a start, I have checked only 3 files):

contacts.en-US.properties:
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/apps/communications/contacts/locales/contacts.en-US.properties
show-profile = View facebook profile
This had been changed in https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/12a75b0821e6bf52a9a4de621a4b679101b99992

The French and German locales still have the translation for the old strings:

contacts.fr.properties:
show-profile = Afficher le profil
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/apps/communications/contacts/locales/contacts.fr.properties
http://hg.mozilla.org/gaia-l10n/fr/file/c16063a7d6ba/apps/communications/contacts/contacts.properties

Another example:
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/8db534811d59a82ad290c8465cc9d83a9113d6dc
-from=From
+from=From {{sender}}

Can you please provide a list which entity values have been changed without renaming the entity?
These commits will be added to https://hg.mozilla.org/gaia-l10n/en-US?
If yes, we can check every string change since bucket 1, no?
Here are bunch of other strings where the localization seems to have change (I didn't check):

fm:
noAntennaMsg =

gallery:
nocard-title =

settings:
enabled=
disabled=
networkNotification-expl=
bluetooth-visible-to-other = 
left-space=

sms:
editMode = 
deleteMessages-confirmation = 
noMessages-title = 

system
airplane=
silent=
screenshotSaved = 
error-message=
error-title=
Summary: String changes for Gaia l10n strings without changing entity name → [l10n]String changes for Gaia l10n strings without changing entity name
(In reply to Archaeopteryx [:aryx] from comment #0)
> Some localizations started before the string freeze, done by developers for
> testing reasons. Unfortunately, changes to improve the strings were done
> without changing the entity name and updating the translations.

This is more of a social contract sort of thing.  The string freeze is a deal:  developers don't change strings in the UI so that localizers can easily start localizing.  If a change is needed, we have a toolchain in place that notifies the localizers.  The notification is triggered by a change of the identifier.

The localization teams that chose to follow the development of Gaia closely and started the localization work before the official string freeze were risking the consequences of rapid changes landing in the repo.  This work paid off:  thanks to locales like German, French or Italian, a lot of localizability issues were discovered before we string-froze. 

I agree that it would have been better to always change the identifiers.  I wish we had done it.  But I can guarantee you this much:  no changes to the frozen strings will be made without changing the id of the string.


> Examples (as a start, I have checked only 3 files):
> 
> contacts.en-US.properties:
> https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/apps/communications/contacts/
> locales/contacts.en-US.properties
> show-profile = View facebook profile
> This had been changed in
> https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/
> 12a75b0821e6bf52a9a4de621a4b679101b99992

Good catch!  This change landed literally a few hours after the string freeze.  I filed bug 805252 for this.

 
> Another example:
> https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/
> 8db534811d59a82ad290c8465cc9d83a9113d6dc
> -from=From
> +from=From {{sender}}

This change is from 2 months ago, a month before the string freeze.

> Can you please provide a list which entity values have been changed without
> renaming the entity?

I can only monitor changes that happen *after* a string freeze, so I'm afraid I can't give you a list of all changes since the beginning of time.

The l10n teams that started the localization early will have to manually review the strings for any changes.

I might try writing a script to help the process, but I can't make any promises at this point.


(In reply to Archaeopteryx [:aryx] from comment #2)
> Here are bunch of other strings where the localization seems to have change
> (I didn't check):
> 
> fm:
> noAntennaMsg =
> [snip]

These changes happened before the bucket-1 string freeze.
Firefox OS is not being worked on
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.