selections created when moving mouse

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

()

--
major
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
18 years ago
18 years ago

People

(Reporter: dbaron, Assigned: mjudge)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Linux
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

DESCRIPTION:  A selection is created when I click in one element and then move
the mouse into an element that is not an ancestor of the first element (or
something like that... it's not exactly that).  I can reproduce this on all
pages I've tried.

This makes copying text very difficult on Linux, it is extremely disorienting,
and it can cause dataloss in form controls because one can accidentally select
text in a textarea and then type over it.  Nominating for nsdogfood.

This is a regression sometime in the past few days.  (I'm using my optimized
Linux build from this morning.)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
 * load http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/css/test/
 * click on the first line
 * move the mouse into another line

ACTUAL RESULTS:
 * selection is created without a drag or a shift-click

EXPECTED RESULTS:
 * selection should not be created
Keywords: mozilla0.9.1, nsdogfood

Comment 1

18 years ago
Linux only?  Works for me on Windows.

Comment 2

18 years ago
can't dup this on mac either

Comment 3

18 years ago
I don't see this in my 05/15/01 Linux build. dbaron you still seeing this? What 
was the date of the build you used when you filed this bug?
I filed it based on a build that was only a few hours old, and it still happens
in my build from yesterday's tree closure.

Comment 5

18 years ago
David, we are not able to repro this one, I will ask QA if they can dup this, if 
not we will need to mark this one wfm.
I investigated this across a bunch of different builds:

 * I can reproduce reliably in my optimized build with gcc 2.96-76 (RedHat)
 * I cannot reproduce in my debug build with gcc 3.0 April 30 snapshot
 * I cannot reproduce in my debug build with gcc 2.7.2.3
 * I cannot reproduce in the egcs-1.1.2 build from mozilla.org

The first 3 of those builds are based on the exact same source... so the problem
is most likely triggered by build options or a compiler-related problem... or
perhaps messed up dependencies.  I'll try a clobber tomorrow.  (Yes, I did run
regxpcom.)
A clobber build today seemed to fix it, so either what was causing it was fixed
in the past few days or I had some weird dependency problem that caused this to
fail but caused no other observable bugs.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.