This is a follow-up to bug 803756. We're overriding strings in appstrings.properties  with more mobile-friendly strings stolen from Fennec, but they're still sub-optimal for B2G, especially since they may show up in app iframes, where strings like "Firefox is currently in offline mode..." don't quite make sense. We may not be able to get this onto Aurora now, but it's something we should look into fixing.  http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/b2g/locales/en-US/chrome/overrides/appstrings.properties
Adding Stas and Pike to see what they have to say in terms of l10n impact.
stas is in touch with UX to figure out the branding for b2g underneath the gaia browser. Much of what's in b2g/locales is not really useful, we have bug 796157 on file for all of those files in general. (There's even the installer file we forgot when dropping windows phone, for example)
Thanks for filing, Margaret. > We're overriding strings in appstrings.properties  with more mobile-friendly > strings stolen from Fennec, but they're still sub-optimal for B2G, especially since > they may show up in app iframes, where strings like "Firefox is currently in > offline mode..." don't quite make sense. Can we create a string set unique to B2G, or do we have to work with what Fennec gives us?
Also relevant: Make better error indicator pages https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=729898 Re-style error messages displayed by window manager when non-fatal mozbrowsererror event received https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=798722 Error message in apps when there's no network connection needs to be more descriptive https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=796750 And the latest Error specs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9myv1f3xzvc885/GIdFb1HeIB
Easiest is to use the strings from dom, http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/locales/en-US/chrome/appstrings.properties. We can create a b2g-specific overlay for those strings, and others. If we have b2g-specific ones, doing a b2g localization grows from packaging up some files we have already to setting up one more of our l10n products on gecko, and exposing the b2g specific strings to localizers. It's not unsurmountable, but it's more work on coordination and localizers. If the strings we have in dom are OK for v1, we can also improve on them with b2g-specific ones for v2.
(In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #5) > Easiest is to use the strings from dom, > http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/locales/en-US/chrome/ > appstrings.properties. > > We can create a b2g-specific overlay for those strings, and others. Yes, we do already have a b2g-specific overlay: http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/b2g/locales/en-US/chrome/overrides/appstrings.properties That's what bug 803756 fixed. However, the strings themselves we just stolen from Fennec, so that's why I filed this bug (to update them for b2g). > If we have b2g-specific ones, doing a b2g localization grows from packaging > up some files we have already to setting up one more of our l10n products on > gecko, and exposing the b2g specific strings to localizers. I didn't realize that bug 796157 was on file to potentially get rid of these. If you can find a solution for netError.dtd, maybe we can do the same thing for appstrings.properties. > It's not unsurmountable, but it's more work on coordination and localizers. > > If the strings we have in dom are OK for v1, we can also improve on them > with b2g-specific ones for v2. Bug 803756 was marked as a blocker because the string in dom were deemed not OK for v1 :/
we shouldn't do appstrings.properties without netError.dtd and vice-versa. Right now, our strings in either in b2g are vanilla copies of what we use in fennec, and we can actually make the build system do that now. I actually just did, in bug 796051. If we wanted to use the copies in dom without branding, we'd have to remove the override for netError.xhtml, too.
I'm marking this FIXED. We went for the Firefox-branded strings. Getting branding into appstrings.properties is a bigger fish to fry, as we can't easily inject branding into the code that dom calls in to. Removing l12y, as this is more about correct branding than getting localized strings in the end.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Device: Unagi Build: 20130112070202 Different strings applied.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.