User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0 Build ID: 20130201065344 Steps to reproduce: Left Firefox running. Actual results: All of my RAM is consumed, and a large amount of hard disk space is also sometimes consumed (virtual memory, no doubt). Since I installed OS X 10.8 (new, clean install on a new hard drive), and downloaded Firefox 18, it has had a very bad memory leak. If I leave it running for a long time, it will consume all free RAM on my machine, causing other programs to slow to a crawl. This is most noticeable when I leave it on overnight. Even though the system sleeps, Firefox continues to consume more RAM and virtual memory. Some mornings I have woken up and gone to the computer, and all the RAM is used up and about 20 GB on the hard drive. I have to force quit Firefox before I can get reasonable access anything else. After quitting Firefox, or force-quitting Firefox, the problem disappears. But even when running Firefox normally during the day, I am sometimes compelled to restart it in order to free up RAM. This is REALLY bad. I have used Firefox from when it was born out of Netscape. Some older versions of Firefox have had memory issues, but nothing like this. Expected results: Nothing. It simply should not be doing this. I would be tempted to try deleting Firefox and re-installing, but I am concerned about losing my cookies and bookmarks.
Do you use any extensions ? Please attach the output of about:memory (via the "add an attachment" link) if the memory usage is high.
Yes, I do use extensions. But they are not new; they are the same extensions I used before I upgraded to OS X 10.8.2. Until then, I had no problems. I will let it consume a bunch of memory, then dump about:memory for you. I am working so that may take a couple of days.
Please also test without extensions but with luck the about:memory output will already show the issue. They may be the same extensions as before but we need to narrow down the issue.
I have confirmed that this is due to an add-on. But I have been too busy to narrow it down to just which one caused the problem.
(In reply to Lonny Eachus from comment #4) > I have confirmed that this is due to an add-on. But I have been too busy to > narrow it down to just which one caused the problem. thanks for the info
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.