Suggested Improvements for Adding Bookmarks

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

Status

()

--
enhancement
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE
6 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: eric.kolotyluk, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
When I: click the 'yellow star' (Bookmark this page) icon

Nothing happens the first time. I usually have to click this twice to get the "Edit this bookmark" dialog to appear. When the dialog does appear, it is ineffective for large numbers of bookmarks and could benefit from a few SIMPLE enhancements.

1) The problem of having to click the icon twice should be resolved as this is really distracting and frustrating. No other control in the Firefox UI seems to suffer from this problem.

2) This dialog should be resizeable. The standard size is simply too small, especially when you have a large collection of bookmarks. As a UI designer/developer, I cannot imagine any reason why this is not resizeable. After the dialog is resized, Firefox should remember the size and make that the new default size.

3) In the tree of bookmarks, there should be controls to collapse/expand all.

4) When there are a large number of bookmarks, the "New Folder" feature has abysmal performance. It takes dozens of seconds for the action to complete after clicking the button. Is this a simple implementation problem or are you using O(n^2) or worse algorithms?

5) It should be easier to figure out what "Tags" means from the dialog. For example, a tool-tip could help enormously. A link to a help page would also be useful.

6) A search filter could be useful - or is that what tags are supposed to do?
Thank you for you feedback. As a suggestion, when reporting bugs/problems, only state one problem per bug report.

> 1) The problem of having to click the icon twice should be resolved as this
> is really distracting and frustrating. No other control in the Firefox UI
> seems to suffer from this problem.

This is actually the expected behavior.
The idea is that the Star is a way to quickly bookmark something for later, when you press the star once a bookmark is automatically created into a bookmarks section called unfiled bookmarks. So a bookmark exists already, and you may not need to care about anything else.
Otherwise you can press a second time, and then you can define all of the other details for the bookmark (position, tags,...).
An alternative is to use the keyboard shortcut (CTRL+D on Win) that immediately adds the bookmark and opens the details panel.

> 2) This dialog should be resizeable.

yes, this is bug 418864

> 3) In the tree of bookmarks, there should be controls to collapse/expand all.

I'm not sure we'd do that, since it's not something vast majority of users need.
Sounds more like something for an add-on.

> 4) When there are a large number of bookmarks, the "New Folder" feature has
> abysmal performance. It takes dozens of seconds for the action to complete
> after clicking the button. Is this a simple implementation problem or are
> you using O(n^2) or worse algorithms?

We may look into that, doesn't happen here though.
Please try in safe mode ( http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode ) since it may also be caused by add-ons.

> 5) It should be easier to figure out what "Tags" means from the dialog. For
> example, a tool-tip could help enormously. A link to a help page would also
> be useful.

I think there's an old bug about making the dialog more self describing, can't find it now though

> 6) A search filter could be useful - or is that what tags are supposed to do?

It depends what you are trying to achieve... tags have autocompletion though, so if a tag exists it will be suggested while typing.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

6 years ago
(In reply to Marco Bonardo [:mak] from comment #1)
> Thank you for you feedback. As a suggestion, when reporting bugs/problems,
> only state one problem per bug report.

OK, in the future I will try to confine the issues better. Is there a way to relate reports, for example the same theme of "bookmark improvements" ? I don't see a related to: field anywhere.

> 
> > 1) The problem of having to click the icon twice should be resolved as this
> > is really distracting and frustrating. No other control in the Firefox UI
> > seems to suffer from this problem.
> 
> This is actually the expected behavior.
> The idea is that the Star is a way to quickly bookmark something for later,
> when you press the star once a bookmark is automatically created into a
> bookmarks section called unfiled bookmarks. So a bookmark exists already,
> and you may not need to care about anything else.
> Otherwise you can press a second time, and then you can define all of the
> other details for the bookmark (position, tags,...).
> An alternative is to use the keyboard shortcut (CTRL+D on Win) that
> immediately adds the bookmark and opens the details panel.

I assume you mean "Unsorted Bookmarks" - maybe "Unfiled Bookmarks" was the old name?

I hate to say it here, but adding "ctrl-D" to the tool-tip for the Bookmark Icon would be sweet :-)

> 
> > 2) This dialog should be resizeable.
> 
> yes, this is bug 418864
> 
> > 3) In the tree of bookmarks, there should be controls to collapse/expand all.
> 
> I'm not sure we'd do that, since it's not something vast majority of users
> need.
> Sounds more like something for an add-on.

Fair enough. Some day when I have time I will have to learn to contribute to open source myself.

> 
> > 4) When there are a large number of bookmarks, the "New Folder" feature has
> > abysmal performance. It takes dozens of seconds for the action to complete
> > after clicking the button. Is this a simple implementation problem or are
> > you using O(n^2) or worse algorithms?
> 
> We may look into that, doesn't happen here though.
> Please try in safe mode ( http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode )
> since it may also be caused by add-ons.

OK, I will try to play with it more. Would it help if I sent someone my bookmarks or profile?

> 
> > 5) It should be easier to figure out what "Tags" means from the dialog. For
> > example, a tool-tip could help enormously. A link to a help page would also
> > be useful.
> 
> I think there's an old bug about making the dialog more self describing,
> can't find it now though
> 
> > 6) A search filter could be useful - or is that what tags are supposed to do?
> 
> It depends what you are trying to achieve... tags have autocompletion
> though, so if a tag exists it will be suggested while typing.

When there are large numbers of bookmarks, being able to type a pattern into a text field that reduces the number of displayed folders.

I am a bit of a Firefox power user - (mo)zillions of bookmarks and tabs comprise my knowledge base of years of web searching and experience. As my knowledge base grows, managing it becomes more challenging. As the noise on the web gets worse and Google search becomes less effective, my knowledge base becomes more important.

Comment 3

3 years ago
Eric, it sounds like your remaining issue is performance. Do you still have an issue, and does one of these describe your issue?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=perf%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=12760480&short_desc=bookmark&resolution=---&query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&component=Bookmarks%20%26%20History&component=Places&product=Core&product=Firefox&product=Toolkit
Flags: needinfo?(eric.kolotyluk)
Whiteboard: [closeme 2016-01-15]

Comment 4

3 years ago
Resolved per whiteboard
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(eric.kolotyluk)
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
Whiteboard: [closeme 2016-01-15]
(Reporter)

Comment 5

3 years ago
To test the performance, I tried to create a new folder called Mozilla under the top level "Bookmarks Toolbar" folder. I would not rate this as acceptable as after clicking the "New Folder" button, I waited about 5 seconds and nothing happened. I repeated this a few times, and sometimes it worked as expected, but mostly failed.

My expectation of acceptable are:

After I click the "New Folder" button, the dialog should automatically scroll to the bottom of the list where it will append the new folder. This does not seem to happen consistently, and rarely on the first try. In most cases I seem to have to wait an unbounded amount of time. Because it sometimes works, but mostly does not, I consider this a standing defect. 

I thought 714098 was similar, but it was not. The rest do not seem to be the same problem.

Anything else you would like me to try?

Cheers, Eric

Comment 6

3 years ago
Eric
(In reply to Marco Bonardo [::mak] from comment #1)
> Please try in safe mode ( http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode )
> since it may also be caused by add-ons.
(Reporter)

Comment 7

3 years ago
Okay, I held down the shift-key when starting Firefox, and after waiting for it to start, I tested adding a bookmark again. Same behavior as before. I tried to add a new folder under the root, nothing happened for over 10 seconds.

Is there a way to verify that Firefox is in safe mode once it has started?

Cheers, Eric
It should not really take 5 or 10 seconds. How many bookmarks are we talking about, could you please open the library on the toolbar root, select all and tell me how many bookmarks are there?
btw, to be sure you are entering safe mode, you could press the question mark icon from the main menu button, then Restart with add-ons disabled
(Reporter)

Comment 10

3 years ago
(In reply to Marco Bonardo [::mak] from comment #8)
> It should not really take 5 or 10 seconds. How many bookmarks are we talking
> about, could you please open the library on the toolbar root, select all and
> tell me how many bookmarks are there?

To be precise, it is not that it takes 5 or 10 seconds, that is only how long I am waiting. Specifically, I seem to wait forever, or do nothing.

I do not know what you mean: open the library on the toolbar root
(Reporter)

Comment 11

3 years ago
(In reply to Marco Bonardo [::mak] from comment #9)
> btw, to be sure you are entering safe mode, you could press the question
> mark icon from the main menu button, then Restart with add-ons disabled

OK, I am able to click the button: restart with add-ons disabled.

My bookmark toolbar is gone now.

I tried adding a new folder to the bookmark toolbar, same problem. After clicking the "new folder" button, nothing happens, I just wait indefinitely. However, when I scroll to the bottom, the new folder is there.

This is still not acceptable because there is no indication from the UI that anything has happened.

On at least a couple of occasions I have witnessed the correct behavior: after pressing the "new folder" button, the list automatically scrolls to the bottom, and the new folder is highlighted. This is rare however.
(Reporter)

Comment 12

3 years ago
(In reply to Eric Kolotyluk from comment #10)
> (In reply to Marco Bonardo [::mak] from comment #8)
> > It should not really take 5 or 10 seconds. How many bookmarks are we talking
> > about, could you please open the library on the toolbar root, select all and
> > tell me how many bookmarks are there?
> 
> To be precise, it is not that it takes 5 or 10 seconds, that is only how
> long I am waiting. Specifically, I seem to wait forever, or do nothing.
> 
> I do not know what you mean: open the library on the toolbar root

Okay, I figured out how to open the library. It's the "suitcase" icon -> Show all bookmarks

I have tried clicking "select all" several times, but the menu item under Organize is disabled.

I can select all using CTRL-A on the keyboard. This is another defect. I should be able to do from the Organize Menu, what I can from the keyboard.

It shows that in the top level bookmarks toolbar, there are 45 items, most of which are folders. It does not tell me, however, how many items are within those folders, but I know from experience, it is a large number, one the order of thousands.
What you point out is not expected the folder should be created close to the currently selected bookmark.

Which OS are you using?
Which Firefox version?
(Reporter)

Comment 14

3 years ago
43.0.4 on Windows 10

I have never seen Firefox create a bookmark or folder near the selected item. It has always appended it to the end of the list of bookmarks, or bookmarks within a folder.
if you right click on a folder or bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar, and choose New Folder, it should create it before the item you right clicked.
If that doesn't happen, I'd suggest the following steps:
- do a clean reinstall of Firefox (uninstall, remove the folder from program files, install from a clean installer downloaded from getfirefox.com)
- try this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/places-maintenance/
- if still broken try a profile reset from about:support. But notice this will lose any customization and most settings. see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.