If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Alarm for a google calendar event fires half an hour late

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

Status

Firefox OS
Gaia::Calendar
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE
5 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: past, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

It just happened to me today. The alarm for the weekly devtools call, rang half an hour into the meeting, rather than 10 minutes before, as it says in the entry. The event is set to Pacific time, not local time, in case it makes any difference. The message was something like "the event has already started".
Well, that's a problem. An alarm that fails to fire before the event is well...not a useful alarm. Blocking.
blocking-b2g: --- → leo?
Assignee: nobody → kgrandon
blocking-b2g: leo? → leo+
Having trouble reproducing this one, so looking for some help with QAWANTED. I'm curious if this could be the result of an edit action mid-event which then syncs with the device and fires the alarm.
Whiteboard: QAWANTED
Assignee: kgrandon → nobody

Updated

5 years ago
Keywords: qawanted
QA Contact: jsmith
Whiteboard: QAWANTED
(Reporter)

Comment 3

5 years ago
I should add that I've been experiencing delayed alarms from the clock app as well, usually 1'-10' long. Not sure if they are related or not, but I almost always am not using the phone when the alarm rings, so I am not actively interfering with the alarm.
Hi Panos, which device and build are you using?  I would like to try replicating the issue you are seeing.  :)
Flags: needinfo?(past)
OS: Mac OS X → Gonk (Firefox OS)
Hardware: x86 → ARM
(Reporter)

Comment 5

5 years ago
I have an Unagi with the latest build from the beta channel: 20130418070205
Flags: needinfo?(past)
Bug 861971 possibly related?
(Reporter)

Comment 7

5 years ago
Could be, I'll comment there as well. As another data point, my SIM (Vodafone GR) doesn't seem to be properly recognized in order to get the date and time from the network, so I need to reset the time on the device manually every few days (when the skew is noticeable).
(In reply to Panos Astithas [:past] from comment #7)
> Could be, I'll comment there as well. As another data point, my SIM
> (Vodafone GR) doesn't seem to be properly recognized in order to get the
> date and time from the network, so I need to reset the time on the device
> manually every few days (when the skew is noticeable).

This is now starting to sound like a gecko bug, not a calendar bug. What's the underlying framework being used here that's common to both the clock app and calendar app?

The Alarms API?
Kevin - Can you address my question in comment 8?
Flags: needinfo?(kgrandon)
Because the fact that people have reported this with the clock app, there is potential that this is a gecko bug. I wouldn't rule out that there's anything wrong with the calendar alarms, but we should certainly look into gecko as well.
Flags: needinfo?(kgrandon)
Gene - Any thoughts? What issues could be happening in gecko that could be causing this bug and bug 861971?
Flags: needinfo?(gene.lian)
We're wondering there is a CPU wake lock issue. That is, we should acquire a CPU wake lock before notifying the observers. Trying to solve it at Bug 862322.

In addition to this issue, sometimes the Alarm App cannot be completely launched as expected when the system message is trying to wake it up. The app is totally broken: the big clock is missing (only partial UI is showing up) and the mobile doesn't ring. I'm sure the Gecko did fire at the correct time (after the CPU wake lock is taken into consideration). We might reproduce this issue by:

  1. Set an alarm in 2 mins.
  2. Kill the Clock App.
  3. Turn off the screen.
  4. Unconnected the power.

Ian, have you ever encountered this phenomenon?
Flags: needinfo?(gene.lian)
Tried to reproduce this, but no dice.

Past - Have you seen this issue reproduce more than once? When is the last time this bug reproduced?
blocking-b2g: leo+ → leo?
Flags: needinfo?(past)
Keywords: qawanted
Whiteboard: [closeme 5/8/2013]
(Reporter)

Comment 14

5 years ago
It's been weeks since this happened to me. I've encountered other weirdness in the calendar app (not updating from google when I expected it to, for example), but not such a long time before the alarm triggers.
Flags: needinfo?(past)
(In reply to Panos Astithas [:past] from comment #14)
> It's been weeks since this happened to me. I've encountered other weirdness
> in the calendar app (not updating from google when I expected it to, for
> example), but not such a long time before the alarm triggers.

Okay. So let's close this for now. If we reproduce this again, let's reopen.
blocking-b2g: leo? → ---
Whiteboard: [closeme 5/8/2013]

Updated

5 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
(In reply to Gene Lian [:gene] from comment #12)
> We're wondering there is a CPU wake lock issue. That is, we should acquire a
> CPU wake lock before notifying the observers. Trying to solve it at Bug
> 862322.
> 
> In addition to this issue, sometimes the Alarm App cannot be completely
> launched as expected when the system message is trying to wake it up. The
> app is totally broken: the big clock is missing (only partial UI is showing
> up) and the mobile doesn't ring. I'm sure the Gecko did fire at the correct
> time (after the CPU wake lock is taken into consideration). We might
> reproduce this issue by:
> 
>   1. Set an alarm in 2 mins.
>   2. Kill the Clock App.
>   3. Turn off the screen.
>   4. Unconnected the power.
> 
> Ian, have you ever encountered this phenomenon?

I cannot reproduce the issue by above steps.(0/3)

Build version is 20130429230205.(b2g18)
Device is Unagi
Resolution: INCOMPLETE → FIXED
Resolution: FIXED → INCOMPLETE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.