Please swap the Domain and File columns in the network panel

RESOLVED FIXED in Firefox 65

Status

P3
normal
RESOLVED FIXED
6 years ago
20 days ago

People

(Reporter: st3fan, Assigned: aburone)

Tracking

18 Branch
Firefox 65

Firefox Tracking Flags

(firefox65 fixed)

Details

(Whiteboard: [devtools-ux])

Attachments

(3 attachments, 2 obsolete attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
I find myself looking at the wrong place. Wouldn't it make sense to show domain first like it appears in URLs anyway?
Shorlander, what do you think about this? I tend to agree.
Flags: needinfo?(shorlander)
OS: Mac OS X → All
Hardware: x86 → All
It is more consistent with the way we typically read URLs. Although on the other hand the file is probably more relevant than the domain in a lot of cases.

I would flip them for now. I think we talked about potentially making them arrangeable/hiddeable in the future?
Flags: needinfo?(shorlander)
Priority: -- → P3
Whiteboard: [devtools-ux]
I think we should be consistent with Chrome DevTools in this case.
I.e. not swap and hide the domain column by default

Honza

Updated

5 months ago
Product: Firefox → DevTools
(Assignee)

Comment 4

a month ago
Created attachment 9018807 [details] [diff] [review]
bug862851.patch

First patch hidding the Domain column by default
(Assignee)

Comment 5

a month ago
Sorry. Ignore the patch (can't delete it) at first looked like it worked but later not :(
(Assignee)

Comment 6

a month ago
Created attachment 9018812 [details] [diff] [review]
bug862851.patch


Fixed.
The first patch worked but upon selecting "reset columns", domain would reappear.
ui.js stores the defaults.

I tried to reorder the columns to provide a 2nd patch emulating chrome distribution but couldn't do it. I suppose there's a 4th file setting the order that I can't find?
Attachment #9018807 - Attachment is obsolete: true
(Assignee)

Comment 7

a month ago
Created attachment 9018814 [details]
Summary: Hides Domain column from network panel by default
@Ariel, thanks for helping with this one!

Sorry for the confusion here. It looks like swapping the Domain and File columns is the right way to go in this report.

Can you please update your patch accordingly?

Honza
Flags: needinfo?(aburone)
(Assignee)

Comment 9

23 days ago
Created attachment 9020516 [details]
Sumary: Bug 862851 - Swap the Domain and File columns in the network panel

The only file that really needs to be changed is constants.js. But
decided to change the order in the other files for consistency sake.
(Assignee)

Comment 10

23 days ago
Comment on attachment 9018814 [details]
Summary: Hides Domain column from network panel by default

Done

The only file that really needed to be changed is constants.js. But
decided to change the order in the other files for consistency sake.
Flags: needinfo?(aburone)
(Assignee)

Comment 11

23 days ago
Thanks for the patience.
I can't mark the older files as obsolete, I suppose I don't have permissions to do so.
Assignee: nobody → aburone
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Created attachment 9020732 [details]
image.png

The column-header-titles are swapped, but not the column content.
Honza
Flags: needinfo?(aburone)
(Assignee)

Comment 13

21 days ago
(In reply to Jan Honza Odvarko [:Honza] need-info me from comment #12)
> Created attachment 9020732 [details]
> image.png
> 
> The column-header-titles are swapped, but not the column content.
> Honza

Sorry, I was distracted.

Here's the fix
https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D9989
Flags: needinfo?(aburone)
(In reply to Ariel Burone from comment #13)
> Here's the fix
> https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D9989

Great, thanks!

Couple of comments:

1) The patch looks good I am waiting for Try results
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=421c05334e0b7ac56e5307c569ddb5f78b234430
We can land if tests are green

2) Please mark all non-relevant or obsolete patches as obsolete (Attachment -> Details -> Edit Details -> Check Obsolete checkbox)

3) The patch in Phabricator doesn't have reviewer set. Also there is no need-info here. That means that you request for review is not in my queue and can be simply to be lost in the bug-mail.


Honza
(Assignee)

Comment 15

20 days ago
(In reply to Jan Honza Odvarko [:Honza] (need-info? me) from comment #14)
> (In reply to Ariel Burone from comment #13)
> > Here's the fix
> > https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D9989
> 
> Great, thanks!
> 
> Couple of comments:
> 
> 1) The patch looks good I am waiting for Try results
> https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/
> jobs?repo=try&revision=421c05334e0b7ac56e5307c569ddb5f78b234430
> We can land if tests are green
> 
> 2) Please mark all non-relevant or obsolete patches as obsolete (Attachment
> -> Details -> Edit Details -> Check Obsolete checkbox)

I can't :( don't have permissions to do so.
The only moment I cant mark as obsolete is when I upload am attachment.

> 
> 3) The patch in Phabricator doesn't have reviewer set. Also there is no
> need-info here. That means that you request for review is not in my queue
> and can be simply to be lost in the bug-mail.

Just found how to do so from phabricator. Thanks for the heads up!

> 
> 
> Honza

When I reply to a message like this. Do you see something different? or it's just another normal looking email?
Thanks again,
Ariel
Attachment #9018812 - Attachment is obsolete: true
(In reply to Ariel Burone from comment #15)
> I can't :( don't have permissions to do so.
> The only moment I cant mark as obsolete is when I upload am attachment.
I marked the attached patch as obsolete.
Can you remove the on Phabricator revision?

> > 3) The patch in Phabricator doesn't have reviewer set. Also there is no
> > need-info here. That means that you request for review is not in my queue
> > and can be simply to be lost in the bug-mail.
> 
> Just found how to do so from phabricator. Thanks for the heads up!
Excellent!


> When I reply to a message like this. Do you see something different? or it's
> just another normal looking email?
Not sure what you mean, bug my bug-mail (for this comment) looks the same as others...

New try push:
https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=07b23dcd81ef67db553f5561866a1b4d5cfdbce9
(the previous was wrong)

Honza
(Assignee)

Comment 17

20 days ago
> Not sure what you mean, bug my bug-mail (for this comment) looks the same as
> others...


Ok. Yes that's was I was asking. 
Thanks

About the obsoletes. The only moment I can mark as obsolete is if I attach a new file from Bugzilla. I couldn't find another way to do so. 


Odd thing:
Every time I used arc diff, it automatically associated the upload with the bug in bugzilla, but not this time, and I've got no errors at all.
> New try push:
> https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/
> jobs?repo=try&revision=07b23dcd81ef67db553f5561866a1b4d5cfdbce9
Green

Honza

(In reply to Ariel Burone from comment #17)
> Every time I used arc diff, it automatically associated the upload with the
> bug in bugzilla, but not this time, and I've got no errors at all.

In order to update a patch in Phabricator you should use --update

Example:

# upload the last commit
arc diff .^ --update D3225

Honza

Comment 19

20 days ago
Pushed by jodvarko@mozilla.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/c975dd62f9d3
Sumary: Bug 862851 - Swap the Domain and File columns in the network panel r=Honza

Comment 20

20 days ago
bugherder
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/c975dd62f9d3
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 days ago
status-firefox65: --- → fixed
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 65
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.