Status

defect
RESOLVED FIXED
6 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: toniher, Assigned: toniher)

Tracking

({late-l10n})

unspecified
x86_64
Linux
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(blocking-b2g:leo+, b2g18 verified, b2g18-v1.0.0 wontfix, b2g18-v1.0.1 wontfix, b2g-v1.1hd fixed)

Details

(Whiteboard: [LeoVB+])

Attachments

(3 attachments, 2 obsolete attachments)

I open this bug for tracking inclusion of Catalan keyboard layout for Gaia.
Having a look at previous similar bugs, such as bug 849226, should we include it under 'Other latin' or as its own in keyboard.js?
Hi, we have a Catalan keyboard layout proposal we've been testing here:
https://github.com/Softcatala/gaia/blob/master/apps/keyboard/js/layout.js

Let us know how to proceed.
Hi Toni, 

Please add it as a separate entry in settings app.
If possible, please help send a pull request via github to Gaia.

Then, we can review it and merge your contribution to Gaia.
Thank you.
Comment on attachment 746110 [details]
Link to pull request for Catalan keyboard layout

Hi Toni,

For implementation point of view, I think this is OK beside some questions commented on the pull request.
The only concern is I've seem you put 11 keys in a row for Catalan layout, mainly adding symbols like "?" and "'".
Is this required because I did not see this on iOS version and I would like to ask for UX input.

Thanks for your work.
Attachment #746110 - Flags: feedback?(fdjabri)
Hi Rudy,

(In reply to Rudy Lu [:rudyl] from comment #4)
> Comment on attachment 746110 [details]
> Link to pull request for Catalan keyboard layout
> 
> Hi Toni,
> 
> For implementation point of view, I think this is OK beside some questions
> commented on the pull request.

I don't see any question in the attached pull request.

> The only concern is I've seem you put 11 keys in a row for Catalan layout,
> mainly adding symbols like "?" and "'".
> Is this required because I did not see this on iOS version and I would like
> to ask for UX input.
> 

The important extra characters here are "-" and "'". These are quite common ones in Catalan writing (e.g. "give me that" -> "dóna-m'ho") and we decided to give them higher exposure. Since there was an extra empty space, we opted to add '?', which is rather common as well. Joan can comment you more about.
(In reply to Toni Hermoso Pulido from comment #5)
> Hi Rudy,
> 
> (In reply to Rudy Lu [:rudyl] from comment #4)
> > Comment on attachment 746110 [details]
> > Link to pull request for Catalan keyboard layout
> > 
> > Hi Toni,
> > 
> > For implementation point of view, I think this is OK beside some questions
> > commented on the pull request.
> 
> I don't see any question in the attached pull request.

Sorry for this.

The question is:
Is  '1a' intended as the alternative char of "1" or should be like those defined in Spanish layout, 1ª?

Besides, if possible, please squash all your commits into one single commit.
Leave it to me if you are not sure how to do that.

> 
> > The only concern is I've seem you put 11 keys in a row for Catalan layout,
> > mainly adding symbols like "?" and "'".
> > Is this required because I did not see this on iOS version and I would like
> > to ask for UX input.
> > 
> 
> The important extra characters here are "-" and "'". These are quite common
> ones in Catalan writing (e.g. "give me that" -> "dóna-m'ho") and we decided
> to give them higher exposure. Since there was an extra empty space, we opted
> to add '?', which is rather common as well. Joan can comment you more about.

OK, thanks for the explanation.
Hi Rudy,

(In reply to Rudy Lu [:rudyl] from comment #6)

> The question is:
> Is  '1a' intended as the alternative char of "1" or should be like those
> defined in Spanish layout, 1ª?
> 

yes, this is inteded. Ordinals in Catalan are this way:
http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerals_en_catal%C3%A0

> Besides, if possible, please squash all your commits into one single commit.
> Leave it to me if you are not sure how to do that.
> 

I'm not sure how should I do it. I guess it's better you can do it, but I'd appreciate if you can point us how you did it afterwards.

Thanks!
I share Rudy's concerns about the number of keys in the Catalan keyboard. Our keyboard keys are already small and adding more keys will make tapping the keys harder to hit and cause a greater number of errors. It is key to the usability of the keyboard that we don't decrease the tap target sizes. 

Furthermore, as per bug #869267, we are removing the "," character from the top level and moving it to the secondary level to create more space for the keyboard switcher key. Please could you move the "," character to the secondary level for the Catalan keyboard as well. 

Francis
(In reply to Francis Djabri [:djabber] from comment #8)

> Furthermore, as per bug #869267, we are removing the "," character from the
> top level and moving it to the secondary level to create more space for the
> keyboard switcher key. Please could you move the "," character to the
> secondary level for the Catalan keyboard as well. 

Hi Francis,

sorry. I haven't built in a few days to check, but I don't manage to see where to change the 'comma' in the layout.js
(In reply to Francis Djabri [:djabber] from comment #8)
> I share Rudy's concerns about the number of keys in the Catalan keyboard.
> Our keyboard keys are already small and adding more keys will make tapping
> the keys harder to hit and cause a greater number of errors. It is key to
> the usability of the keyboard that we don't decrease the tap target sizes. 
> 

Hi, about 11 or 10 keys by row layout design.

"-" and "'" chars are very used in Catalan written text. For instance, see affixes C,D, V, v, W, Y, and Z used by Catalan dictionary [1] in many projects (LibreOffice, Chromium, Firefox...)

Yeas ago I helped adding Catalan keyboard for Anysoftkeyboard [2] on Android platform with a 11 keys by row keyboard layout ([4] see screen-shot). I used it in HTC Magic [5] device, all works fine. Catalan user's comments are really good [3] & [4] (in Catalan).

So IMHO, user experience is much better using 11 keys by row layout, because it made available "'" and "-" chars for Catalan users.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/dictionaries/plain/ca/ca.aff (latin1 encoded)
[2] https://github.com/AnySoftKeyboard
[3] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.menny.android.anysoftkeyboard&hl=ca
[4] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anysoftkeyboard.languagepack.catalan&hl=ca
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Magic
Just note that Norwegian Bokmal and Cyrillic layouts also use 11 keys by row.

So 11 keys by row layout in Catalan is, by far, the best option.
Hi Joan,

Thanks for the feedback, your input looks promising.
If we got UX agreement on this, I think we can take this work merged.

Francis,

Could you please help confirm?
Thank you.
Flags: needinfo?(fdjabri)
Hi, 

I'm OK to sign-off on the keyboard layout but I just wanted to raise my concern about the key sizes. I've tried the keyboard and the keys do feel small and cluttered, so if we do add extra keys, I want to make sure that there's a good reason. But given you guys are native speakers and feel that it's important to have these keys, I'll defer to your judgement. 

However, please could you remove the comma character as per bug bug #869267 - please refer to the attached document "revised keyboard layouts" attachment in the bug for the new position of the comma key.
Flags: needinfo?(fdjabri)
(In reply to Toni Hermoso Pulido from comment #9)
> (In reply to Francis Djabri [:djabber] from comment #8)
> 
> > Furthermore, as per bug #869267, we are removing the "," character from the
> > top level and moving it to the secondary level to create more space for the
> > keyboard switcher key. Please could you move the "," character to the
> > secondary level for the Catalan keyboard as well. 
> 
> Hi Francis,
> 
> sorry. I haven't built in a few days to check, but I don't manage to see
> where to change the 'comma' in the layout.js

Hi Toni,

The comma key related changes should have been handled by Bug 869267.
That's handled by modifyLayout() in keyboard.js instead of layout.js, FYI.
I've just flashed an Unagi with Catalan keyboard layout and there is no comma close to the space bar for main layout. Therefore, everything should be OK.

Modified files would be:
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/pull/9578/files

Since I'm wary about how to squash all in one commit, we wait for your directions.

Thanks!
Here is a pull request to squash all the commits that you contributed.
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/pull/9868

If it is all good, then we can merge this.
Thanks again!
(In reply to Rudy Lu [:rudyl] from comment #16)
> Here is a pull request to squash all the commits that you contributed.
> https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/pull/9868
> 
> If it is all good, then we can merge this.
> Thanks again!

It looks good to me. If Joan agrees, you can push it. Thanks, Rudy.
(In reply to Toni Hermoso Pulido from comment #17)
> It looks good to me. 

Me too. Thanks!
Merged to Gaia master:
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/1419f08968e1a4b746579af39c9e2dbb44c0cf9d


Hi Toni, Joan,

Thanks again for your contribution. 
:)
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Also merged 26701c886c262a40ffb9bcca3121204575baa922 into Gaia master to fix lint errors introduced in the other patch.
Attachment #746110 - Flags: feedback?(fdjabri)
We should uplift this to v1-train if we want catalan in 1.1.

@Toni: I will send you an email with the gecko strings that should be commited to beta.
blocking-b2g: --- → leo?
(In reply to Guillermo López (:willyaranda) from comment #21)
> We should uplift this to v1-train if we want catalan in 1.1.
> 
> @Toni: I will send you an email with the gecko strings that should be
> commited to beta.

Done, Guillermo.

Let me know if there is anything I could help with.

Thanks!
Leo+ per partner decision.
blocking-b2g: leo? → leo+
I was not able to uplift this bug to v1-train.  If this bug has dependencies which are not marked in this bug, please comment on this bug.  If this bug depends on patches that aren't approved for v1-train, we need to re-evaluate the approval.  Otherwise, if this is just a merge conflict, you might be able to resolve it with:

  git checkout v1-train
  git cherry-pick -x -m1 1419f08968e1a4b746579af39c9e2dbb44c0cf9d
  <RESOLVE MERGE CONFLICTS>
  git commit
  git checkout v1-train
  git cherry-pick -x -m1 26701c886c262a40ffb9bcca3121204575baa922
  <RESOLVE MERGE CONFLICTS>
  git commit
Flags: needinfo?(nobody)
Hi, AFAIK, no other dependency.
Toni, could you please provide a patch for v1-train?

I could do it but on the following days if you can't.
Flags: needinfo?(toniher)
Hi Guillermo, I'll provide you this evening a text patch.
Flags: needinfo?(toniher)
Tested in unagi and working fine.

It adds a string that might need to be localized: Catalan (id: catalan) apps/settings/index.html
We also need to add the new string to,
apps/settings/locales/settings.en-US.properties 

marked as late-l10n.
Keywords: late-l10n
(In reply to Rudy Lu [:rudyl] from comment #29)
> We also need to add the new string to,
> apps/settings/locales/settings.en-US.properties 
> 
> marked as late-l10n.

Hi,
is this done automatically or should this string be added? Let me know if you want me to add this.
By the way, shouldn't be the bug reopened to make it visible in lists like this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=%3Agaia%20!late-l10n&list_id=7137414 ? (from https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:B2G)
Toni, could you add the "Catalan" word into apps/settings/locales/settings.en-US.properties as Rudy says?

Also, you need to make the pull request in Gaia directly and paste here the link to get review.
Flags: needinfo?(toniher)
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Pull request obsoleting previous patch and adding late-l10n addition.
Attachment #773516 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Flags: needinfo?(toniher)
Comment on attachment 777281 [details]
Link to pull request for Catalan keyboard layout v1-train

r+ if the following line will be removed as commented on the pull request.
  needsCandidatePanel: 'true'

I guess so far we don't have dictionary for Catalan and Spanish dictionary won't help here, so for Catalan we would not have word suggestion/auto-correction.

Thank you.
Attachment #777281 - Flags: review?(rlu) → review+
Hi Alex,

This patch add a new string into settings app.
 catalan=Catalan

Do you think we could merge this into v1-train directly?
Thank you.
Flags: needinfo?(akeybl)
I don't think we should land this on v1-train until we have a firm grip that the things we need are actually there.

Keyboard layouts are just one of a few open items for bug 896324.
Flags: needinfo?(nobody)
Whiteboard: [LeoVB+]
Pull request maybe is not clean after 'class="pack-checkbox"' addition and I don't know whether we should wait for bug 896363 is transferred to v1-train. Let me know what I should do.
Bug 896363 (catalan autocorrect) can't land on v1-train until this bug lands.

Toni's v1-train pull request has two or three separate commits so I don't want to land it directly.  I'll see if I can uplift this manually.
Uplifted to v1-train: https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/26e92974da1583ba196dad4e7eff7a309a538b92

Toni: I couldn't use your pull request directly because the commits had not been squashed into a single one.

Guillermo: we don't generally re-open bugs for uplifts. Once a fix is on master, we consider it resolved. We use the tracking-b2g-18:affect flag to track uplifts that need to happen.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago6 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(akeybl)
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Blocks: 896363
Guillermo: I meant the status-b2g18 flag, not the tracking-b2g18 flag. Sorry.
Mmm...
I noticed we have missed adding Catalan string in:
apps/settings/locales/settings.en-US.properties 

both master and 1.1

Let me know what you prefer to do.
Posted file catalan-string-master.html (obsolete) —
Pull request for adding Catalan string in master for l10n
Attachment #784867 - Flags: review?(dflanagan)
for v1-train
Attachment #784877 - Flags: review?(dflanagan)
Flags: needinfo?(l10n)
No idea what I'd needinfo here, sorry.
Flags: needinfo?(l10n)
Verified on Leo V1.1 MOZ RIL,
The Catalan language is implemented in the keyboard layout, with an important extra characters on the "top level" such as "-","'","."

Environmental  Variables:
Build ID: 20130805071207
Gecko: http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g18/rev/a2a9b89ef5ee
Gaia: 45f6a739b09292e16717fb21003386c914ca29c2
Platform Version: 18.1
v1.1.0hd: 26e92974da1583ba196dad4e7eff7a309a538b92
v1.1.0hd: 33f8270fbfc199c948ab16ae871dba80c1206514
Comment on attachment 784867 [details]
catalan-string-master.html

It seems to be already in master
Attachment #784867 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #784867 - Flags: review?(dflanagan)
Assignee: nobody → toniher
Attachment #784877 - Flags: review?(dflanagan)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.