1. Go to the URL above 2. look at the source of the frame with the translation (right click, view frame source) 3. Choose "save as" in the source window 4. Reopen the saved file with a text editor Result: All html tags are converted to capital letters (which is against xhtml-rules) Expected Result: Not converted tags I know that the code isn't perfect but it's still a strange behaviour.
Hm, by the way: I'm using Linux build 2001062421. ( I'm sure the bugzilla form asked something like "linux build ... is this correct?" but it didn't find it's way into the bugreport... )
this is not mozilla's fault. the translator is doing it. Since we do have some google contacts, i'm giving them the bug. They may choose to resolve wontfix, but before marking invalid they would have to move this out of the evangelism component because that component forbids that resolution.
Assignee: asa → amitp
Component: Browser-General → Evangelism
Summary: Source html tags converted to capital letters → translate.google.com Source html tags converted to capital letters
No, the translator doesn't do it. In the source window, the tags appear lowercase. Only when I save it, they get converted to uppercase (or can google influence the way the browser saves things?).
Aren't the tags that show up in the source window created by CSS rules? I don't think they're necessarily the same case as the tags in the document. If that's true, then the uppercasing probably is coming from the translator, and just not showing up in the source window because our view source maps everything to lowercase. Who's the expert on browser View Source these days?
this isn't fair. when i test things I use telnet or netscape4. I can assure you that the view-source: output I got was from netscape4 and had uppercase tags. Mozilla was _not_ interfering w/ the output. this is the url i loaded w/ nc4: view-source:http://translate.google.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.si teware.ch/digichat/ I can open the same url w/ notepad if you feel a need for me to waste my time. warning, to load the url w/ notepad, you need to use http://translate.google.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.siteware.ch/di gichat/index.html [and w2k or better, it's an os feature] Ooh, so the parser is making the characters lowercase in mozilla? wonderful just what i needed. FWIW My decision stands this bug is against google. If the parser people don't already have a bug they can file one, but i'm sure we know that view-source in mozilla doesn't view raw source :(.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
View Source lowercases tags. There's a bug on this already (bug 63137). I may not be an expert, but I've spent a few dozen hours in that code.... :) This is correctly assigned to evangelism.
I don't mind if google converts tags to uppercase, even if it's wrong. My problem is, that I don't get saved what I see in the source and that I don't see what I've got from the server. To me it's ok if this gets marked as a duplicate of bug 63137 .
reporter: i'm sorry, i can't remove you as the reporter, even though bugzilla allows you to control wether it sends you notification of such an event. This bug remains as is.
taking QA, someone at google will report this issue to the people who wrote the engine, "but it's unlikely to be fixed anytime soon."
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
QA Contact: doronr → timeless
All Evangelism Bugs are now in the Product Tech Evangelism. See bug 86997 for details.
Component: Evangelism → US English
Product: Browser → Tech Evangelism
Version: other → unspecified
looks fixed on win2k, since this was an issue on google, marking fixed. Please reopen if you disagree.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Summary: translate.google.com Source html tags converted to capital letters → translate.google.com - source html tags converted to capital letters
Product: Tech Evangelism → Tech Evangelism Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.