User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0 SeaMonkey/2.17 (Beta/Release) Build ID: 20130403195639 Steps to reproduce: wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2013-07-03-03-13-28-comm-central/thunderbird-25.0a1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 tar xvjf thunderbird-25.0a1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 cd thunderbird ./thunderbird -version Actual results: Thunderbird outputs " Thunderbird 25.0a1" with a space at the beginning. Expected results: Thunderbird should output "Thunderbird 25.0a1" without a space at the beginning. Bug also present in Thunderbird 17.0.7. Not a big issue, but the extra space looks a bit odd.
confirmed. doesn't happen for firefox or seamonkey. Thanks for the bug report
For some reason TB nor Firefox print anything for me on Win XP. Wayne, what do they print for you? I found this spot in the code that could be the culprit: http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mozilla/toolkit/xre/nsAppRunner.cpp#1399 I suspect our gAppData->vendor is empty because we have no definition for it in http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/app/application.ini . If that is intentional and we do not want to add Vendor=Mozilla then we may need to fix the format string in the toolkit file. Can anybody first test out the theory?
Output on windows has been broken for years and I forget the bug# but iirc both bsmedberg and I are cc on it. Workaround is to pipe output to "more" Thunderbird.exe | more
(In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #3) > Output on windows has been broken for years and I forget the bug# but iirc > both bsmedberg and I are cc on it. Workaround is to pipe output to "more" > > Thunderbird.exe | more bug 355889, windows-only. According to bsmedberg related to "Windows virtual consoles" but whether the issue is fixable in mozilla is unstated. (bug 26761 might be instructive)
Created attachment 776575 [details] [diff] [review] Patch Thanks for mentioning the code spot. Possible fix.
Comment on attachment 776575 [details] [diff] [review] Patch Yes, this is what I had in mind. I have also tested that adding Vendor=<something> to application.ini makes -version output the vendor name too and then the space is useful (formats finely also without the patch). So this is now up to standard8 to decide which way we want to go. But I would propose to land this patch in toolkit too even if we add Vendor to Thunderbird.
Comment on attachment 776575 [details] [diff] [review] Patch This is the right way to go. There's various significant issues that would make it difficult for us to move to a world where we specified the vendor which are covered in a different bug somewhere.
OK, let's propose it to the toolkit.