Closed Bug 894482 Opened 8 years ago Closed 5 years ago

[meta] WebGL2 prototype feed

Categories

(Core :: Canvas: WebGL, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: guillaume.abadie, Assigned: guillaume.abadie)

References

()

Details

This bug purpose is to centralized all WebGL 2 changes destined to pre-alpha testers. Just make sure your are in CC list to follow all landed updates.
Assignee: nobody → gabadie
Blocks: webgl2
To our contributors, all bugs reported about our WebGL 2 prototype should block bug 894492.

All infos about creating a WebGL 2 prototype context on Gecko arrive till it is landed.
Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to let you know that it's now possible to create a WebGL 2 prototype context by following steps here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/GFX/WebGL2#Playground . 

I personally run it on OS X 10.8. But it has not been tested on other OS yet. Especially, It might not work on windows yet because we are still waiting for an Angle update.

Using WebGL 2 might generate driver or OS crashes. Be careful to save your work frequently.

Feel free to report any WebGL 2 bugs by blocking https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=894492.
Good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you are around the world,

After a report from one of our contributor, I wanted to let all Windows users know that you should set the global environment variable MOZ_WEBGL_FORCE_OPENGL=1 before running Firefox. Performance might be slower with that, but WebGL 2 prototype can't run without it, we are waiting the ANGLE update for OpenGL ES 3 context.
Good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you are around the world,

I wanted to let you know that we have landed gl.drawArraysInstanced and gl.drawElementsInstanced.
Hi all,

A bug fix has needed us to change our idea to let WebGL 2 prototype only in nightlies. It's now available on all channels. We recommend you to make sure that WebGL 2's flags are still disabled in your everyday web browser.
Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that occlusion query objects and gl.vertexAttribDivisor for WebGL 2 are finally landed!
Hi all,

We have landed ANGLE_instanced_arrays for WebGL 1, and this patch also fix an issue on the primcount parameter in the WebGL 2.0's DrawElementsInstanced.
Sorry if that's a bad location to ask but are currently Android nightly builds coming with experimental Webgl2 support? as current Nexus devices ship with OGL ES 3.0 drivers in theory this should be viable.. 
if not seems someone can create a bug for it?
related also to webgl2 I just created an issue in emscripten project asking for support for webgl2 so we can soon start seeing some webgl2 demos by porting samples from vendors OGL ES 3.0 SDKS like qualcomm Andreno SDK, powervr SDK and ARM Mali SDKs..
meanwhile would be nice if someone can post some simple site showing webgl2 current extensions supported like http://webglreport.com/
thanks..
(In reply to oscarbar from comment #8)
> Sorry if that's a bad location to ask but are currently Android nightly
> builds coming with experimental Webgl2 support? as current Nexus devices
> ship with OGL ES 3.0 drivers in theory this should be viable.. 
> if not seems someone can create a bug for it?
Hi! Unfortunately, the WebGL 2 prototype is only available on desktop driver for now, because we are using GL_EXT_gpu_shader4. Managing OpenGL ES 3 in Gecko is not only a single bug. But actually, already a lot of work has been done to handle it and the OpenGL context version management is coming next week to finally be able to use an OpenGL ES 3 context. =)

> related also to webgl2 I just created an issue in emscripten project asking
> for support for webgl2 so we can soon start seeing some webgl2 demos by
> porting samples from vendors OGL ES 3.0 SDKS like qualcomm Andreno SDK,
> powervr SDK and ARM Mali SDKs..
About emscripten, I would completly disagree to start to support for WebGL 2 prototype right now, because we are at its very beginning. It is only a prototype for now, designed to hit all OpenGL ES 3 specification details that would need uplift in the upcoming Khronos official WebGL 2 specifications. We would not like start production of softwares based on it because we might change behaviors at any time, breaking applications and creating compatibility bugs that we don't want to have.

> meanwhile would be nice if someone can post some simple site showing webgl2
> current extensions supported like http://webglreport.com/
> thanks..
I'm not realy sure by what you want to mean with "webgl 2 current extensions", because there is no WebGL 2 extensions yet, where I mean there is no WebGL extensions only designed for WebGL 2. WebGL extensions that are natively supported in WebGL 2 can be found in the Available features timeline. But I'm going to add a paragraph in the Mozilla's WebGL 2 development page to say which extensions are natively supported in WebGL 2.
Hi all!

WebGL 2 now natively supports:
 - OES_element_index_uint
 - OES_standard_derivatives
 - OES_texture_float
 - OES_texture_float_linear
 - WEBGL_depth_texture

For mac user, WebGL 2 is now only available on 10.9.
(In reply to Guillaume Abadie from comment #10)
> Hi all!
> 
> WebGL 2 now natively supports:
>  - OES_element_index_uint
>  - OES_standard_derivatives
>  - OES_texture_float
>  - OES_texture_float_linear
>  - WEBGL_depth_texture
> 
> For mac user, WebGL 2 is now only available on 10.9.
Edit: For mac user running with a Nvidia graphic card, WebGL 2 is now only available on 10.9.
On OS X 10.9.5 I get the following error when creating a WebGL2 context:

Error: WebGL: WebGL 2 requires GLFeature::transform_feedback2! test.html:9
Error: WebGL: WebGL creation failed. test.html:9


I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 2048 MB
Nevertheless, it works on linux.

When trying to use texture3D in the fragment shader,

'texture3D': no matching overload function found

is this not implemented yet?
(In reply to haehn from comment #12)
> On OS X 10.9.5 I get the following error when creating a WebGL2 context:
> 
> Error: WebGL: WebGL 2 requires GLFeature::transform_feedback2! test.html:9
> Error: WebGL: WebGL creation failed. test.html:9
> 
> 
> I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 2048 MB

I believe we still don't use Core profiles on Mac, so I believe you can't use WebGL2 there yet.





(In reply to haehn from comment #13)
> Nevertheless, it works on linux.
> 
> When trying to use texture3D in the fragment shader,
> 
> 'texture3D': no matching overload function found
> 
> is this not implemented yet?

`texture3D` isn't a GLES call. You want `texture`. Just use it with your sampler3D and it'll work like you expect texture3D to.
We're out of the prototype stage now.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.