When purchasing an app from a package that has been configured to receive XML notifications, sometimes they take a long time. This is in Bango's prod via our stage server. Here is an example of a notice that took about 34 minutes to arrive. Can we speed this up? BillingConfigurationId=27647890 BangoTransactionId=1229144185
Assignee: nobody → tom
in case it helps for investigating, the delayed ones seem to be grouped together. Three purchases in a row were delayed about 34 min (they all arrived at once)
ok, consistently I see this behavior: - make repeated purchases on product X - receive no events - create a new Bango package and set up product Y - purchase product Y - immediately receive a notice for product Y - receive the whole backlog of notices for product X ... the cycle repeats It looks like repeat purchases are not triggering event notices correctly
Update: We had a fix all ready for last week but when we started testing in LIVE we discovered that actually didn't solve the ultimate issue so we went back to drawing board and have created a new fix which will post the xml to Mozilla at time of payment which will solve multiple issues including bugs 894621, 902230, 903567. We will demonstrate this fix on the call tonight (Thursday) and will hopefully have this in LIVE next week following successful testing.
Workaround as discussed last week is now in production. If all OK please close this issue.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.