Closed Bug 914142 Opened 8 years ago Closed 7 years ago

figure out what we should do with patches against bionic libc

Categories

(Firefox OS Graveyard :: General, defect, P4)

ARM
Gonk (Firefox OS)
defect

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED WONTFIX
1.4 S4 (28mar)

People

(Reporter: huseby, Unassigned)

References

Details

(Keywords: perf, Whiteboard: [c=profiling p= s=2014.03.28 u=])

In Bug 905521 we are making changes to the bionic libc library that need to be upstreamed.  We're not sure if we should maintain our own local branch or if we should work hard to get these changes upstreamed.  This bug is here to track that decision making and follow on work depending on what we decide.
Do we have a corporate Android CLA on file?
http://source.android.com/source/cla-corporate.pdf

We've done those for other Google projects, like Breakpad, but I don't know if it's the same document. Either way, we'll need one of those on file before we can get patches upstream.

I know a Googler (by way of Breakpad work) who was the NDK lead at one point, I can put you in touch with him if you think he could help us with process.
Whiteboard: [c=profiling s=2013.10.04 p=4] → [c=profiling p=4 s= u=]
We are deciding to close this bug.  Dave, if you believe this needs to be re-open, please use priority flag P4.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(dhuseby)
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
Priority: -- → P4
Whiteboard: [c=profiling p=4 s= u=] → [c=profiling p=4 s=2014.03.28 u=]
Target Milestone: --- → 1.4 S4 (28mar)
Whiteboard: [c=profiling p=4 s=2014.03.28 u=] → [c=profiling p= s=2014.03.28 u=]
This bug should probably be closed.  We need to check with :jld.

Jed, do we still need to try to upstream bionic changes?
Flags: needinfo?(dhuseby) → needinfo?(jld)
Now that bug 915129 is fixed, there hasn't been a particular need to try to get bug 905521 landed anywhere.  That might be a good idea in any case.

This bug is, I think, more about the general question of how to deal with Bionic patches, or more generally repositories where we aren't part of the current flow of changes downstream from AOSP to device manufacturers.  I guess we can leave the bug resolved for now, with the possibility of reopening if/when (probably when) we find ourselves revisiting it.
Flags: needinfo?(jld)
Alright, we'll leave it closed.  Thanks Jed!
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.