Mozilla in 2013 EOY Infographic

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

RESOLVED FIXED
5 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: sprior, Assigned: ltom)

Tracking

Details

Attachments

(6 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

5 years ago
>>Project/Request Title:
Mozilla in 2013 EOY Infographic

>>Project Overview:
Every year, the PR team spearheads an end of the year infographic as an effort to generate a bit of buzz around Mozilla at the end of each year. Two years ago, we did a Firefox year-in-review graphic that received a lot of interest. Last year, we expanded that graphic and created a “Mozilla Year-in-Review” which received a lot of internal and external excitement and interest. 

The PR team wants to create an infographic highlighting changes and updates to Mozilla over the past year. 

The key message/takeaway will be showcasing Mozilla's innovations over the past year. 

>>Creative Specs & Deliverables:
The final deliverable will be an infographic in PSD or JPG similar to the ones we've done in year's past. 
https://blog.mozilla.org/press/files/2012/04/Mozilla-in-2012.png
https://blog.mozilla.org/press/files/2012/04/firefox2011_EN_72dpi.jpg

We'll also need it translated versions in  French, Polish, Italian, Spanish, German, Portuguese. 

>>Launch Date:
Not provided

>>Creative Due Date:
Not provided

>>Mozilla Goal:
All

>>Points of Contact:
ARRAY(0x7fbdb5179f20)
(Reporter)

Comment 1

5 years ago
Ideally, we'd love to have this ready in early to mid-december depending on creative time frames.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

5 years ago
One more note: the font will need to be able to read Polish language characters
(Reporter)

Comment 3

5 years ago
Another note: This will be posted on the blog and the press center for electronic viewing but should also be made high resolution enough for printing.

Comment 4

5 years ago
A few additional comments from our meeting on this (me/Shannon/Paul):

- mid-December deadline is better than early December
- key next step is for PR to generate the final list of content as soon as possible (they already have a starting point, but it needs more work)...let's shoot for EOW
- I also suggested https://blog.mozilla.org/files/2011/03/ff4-infogrpahic-48hours.png as inspiration, both in terms of design but also b/c of the way we took a couple of basic facts and twisted them around to make them more interesting
- the localization element will be a challenge we need to keep in mind in terms of schedule and concept

Lee, am assigning this to you. Let's talk when you're back from Toronto.
Assignee: jbalaco → ltom

Comment 5

5 years ago
Hey Shannon. Any updates here? We need to get the content nailed down asap...
(Reporter)

Comment 6

5 years ago
Hi John - Below see the content for the infographic. A couple of points to note: 
- There is a lot of content here, so if we need to cut it down to fit a visual that is okay, we'd just love to help pick out the most important stats. 
- Some are more focused on content rather than a specific number, since a number w/o context can be meanlingless or misleading. We tried to put in context where we can but understand if it wont fit. 
- We are going to send this content for L10N as well. 

Let me know if you have questions or want to talk through. 

Thanks!
Shannon  



Mozilla in 2013:

Firefox OS: First smartphones launched in July 2013 [logo- fox wrapped around device]
First 3 smartphones on sale [3 thumbnail photos?]
Available in 13 countries from 3 operators
1000s of Apps in the Firefox Marketplace
Half a million downloads of the Firefox OS Simulator 

Firefox for Android
4.5 Average Starts on the Google Play store 
Pre-installed on KOBO  tablets and Gigabyte smartphones
50 million downloads

Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux
88% Faster*
*We surpassed our score on the Octane JavaScript benchmark from last year at this time
Web apps and games 25% faster because of asm.js
Half a billion add-ons currently in use 


Privacy: 
10 percent of desktop users turn on do not track; 18 percent of users on mobile
Nearly a million downloads of  Lightbeam since its launch in October 2013 

Open Badges:
235,100 total badges issued
Over 1400% growth rate from Nov 2012

Webmaker: 
40610 users
76138 projects
1694 Maker Party events with 58005 attendees in more than 55 countries

Summit:
3 summit locations
2,000 Mozillians
90 countries represented
114 languages spoken

Mozilla Developer Network
18 million visitors 
70,000,000 pages viewed 

Innovating: 
Together.js
Servo
Rust
(Reporter)

Comment 7

5 years ago
One small change: Web apps and games are 5x faster because of asm.js

Comment 8

5 years ago
Thanks Shannon. Lee & I met just now, and have some questions and comments. Let us know what you think today or tomorrow please!

Overall concern: we really need to be finished, or close to finished, with the en-US version of the design by the end of next week (to allow the following week to create the localized versions). So, we need to nail down this content asap for sure. 

(In reply to Shannon Prior from comment #6)
> Mozilla in 2013:
> 
> Firefox OS: First smartphones launched in July 2013 [logo- fox wrapped
> around device]
> First 3 smartphones on sale [3 thumbnail photos?]
> Available in 13 countries from 3 operators
Really these first three all seem like one key point - that we launched Firefox OS in 13 countries with three operators with three devices. Is that fair to say?

> 1000s of Apps in the Firefox Marketplace
This feels really underwhelming. Can we nix it?

> Half a million downloads of the Firefox OS Simulator 
This doesn't seem all that relevant. Do people care about the simulator? I think this section would be strongest if we just focused on the main point I called out above.

> Firefox for Android
> 4.5 Average Starts on the Google Play store 
This stat is great.

> Pre-installed on KOBO  tablets and Gigabyte smartphones
This isn't a stat...can we nix it? I think 4.5 stars and 50 million downloads says a lot already.

> 50 million downloads
This stat is great, too.
 
> Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux
> 88% Faster*
> *We surpassed our score on the Octane JavaScript benchmark from last year at
> this time
> Web apps and games 25% faster because of asm.js
Good stat. Do we need the footnote about the testing methodology?

> Half a billion add-ons currently in use 
Good stat. Can you elaborate on "currently in use"?

Also, do we have an overall user count we can reference? Something like "400 million users" would be perfect.
 
> Privacy: 
> 10 percent of desktop users turn on do not track; 18 percent of users on
> mobile
Would be way better if we could make this an actual number: "40 million Firefox desktop users have turned on Do Not Track", for example.

> Nearly a million downloads of  Lightbeam since its launch in October 2013 
Will it be a million by December? Saying "more than a million" is a lot better than "nearly a million".
 
> Open Badges:
> 235,100 total badges issued
> Over 1400% growth rate from Nov 2012
Number of badges sounds good. 1400% growth rate is fishy, b/c that obviously means we didn't have many badges last year.

> Webmaker: 
> 40610 users
> 76138 projects
> 1694 Maker Party events with 58005 attendees in more than 55 countries
Seems like this could be condensed into one cool stat. Can you advise? And why are there more projects than members? The projects one seems most impressive...would like to build around that.
 
> Summit:
> 3 summit locations
> 2,000 Mozillians
> 90 countries represented
> 114 languages spoken
I mentioned this in our meeting the other day, but do we really need this section? If this is a graphic for Mozillians, then it makes total sense, but I don't really see how this is all that interesting to outsiders. What case is it making?
 
> Mozilla Developer Network
> 18 million visitors 
> 70,000,000 pages viewed 
These are good.
 
> Innovating: 
> Together.js
> Servo
> Rust
What are we saying here? Definitely need more info in order to be able to work with these.
(Reporter)

Comment 9

5 years ago
Hi John - Thanks! Answers/thoughts in line. 

(In reply to John Slater from comment #8)
> Thanks Shannon. Lee & I met just now, and have some questions and comments.
> Let us know what you think today or tomorrow please!
> 
> Overall concern: we really need to be finished, or close to finished, with
> the en-US version of the design by the end of next week (to allow the
> following week to create the localized versions). So, we need to nail down
> this content asap for sure. 
> 
> (In reply to Shannon Prior from comment #6)
> > Mozilla in 2013:
> > 
> > Firefox OS: First smartphones launched in July 2013 [logo- fox wrapped
> > around device]
> > First 3 smartphones on sale [3 thumbnail photos?]
> > Available in 13 countries from 3 operators
> Really these first three all seem like one key point - that we launched
> Firefox OS in 13 countries with three operators with three devices. Is that
> fair to say?
Yes! I just wanted to break it out for you, but it can be presented just like that. 
> 
> > 1000s of Apps in the Firefox Marketplace
> This feels really underwhelming. Can we nix it?
We went back and forth on this one, so yes, please remove. 
> 
> > Half a million downloads of the Firefox OS Simulator 
> This doesn't seem all that relevant. Do people care about the simulator? I
> think this section would be strongest if we just focused on the main point I
> called out above.
We might be able to move this into the MDN or developer section. 
> 
> > Firefox for Android
> > 4.5 Average Starts on the Google Play store 
> This stat is great.
> 
> > Pre-installed on KOBO  tablets and Gigabyte smartphones
> This isn't a stat...can we nix it? I think 4.5 stars and 50 million
> downloads says a lot already.
Yes, we can remove it since it is not really a stat. If we need one more to map to Firefox OS we can include number of countries Firefox for Android is available in. WDYT? Do we have enough stats already? 
> 
> > 50 million downloads
> This stat is great, too.
>  
> > Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux
> > 88% Faster*
> > *We surpassed our score on the Octane JavaScript benchmark from last year at
> > this time
> > Web apps and games 25% faster because of asm.js
> Good stat. Do we need the footnote about the testing methodology?
Yes. Unfortunately, just saying 88 Percent faster begs A LOT of questions. It doesnt need to be in the section - just somewhere on the overall graphic. 
> 
> > Half a billion add-ons currently in use 
> Good stat. Can you elaborate on "currently in use"?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/statistics/addons_in_use/?last=30 This has more specific info
> 
> Also, do we have an overall user count we can reference? Something like "400
> million users" would be perfect.
So, this is a tricky interesting one and we can look to Patrick for this. The problem is, last I heard, we aren't anywhere close to 400 million users. That was a stat that came from Gary/CBeard and we can't back track on it now. It is hard for us to pinpoint our overall number of users. We can say 'hundreds of millions'

>  
> > Privacy: 
> > 10 percent of desktop users turn on do not track; 18 percent of users on
> > mobile
> Would be way better if we could make this an actual number: "40 million
> Firefox desktop users have turned on Do Not Track", for example.
> 
> > Nearly a million downloads of  Lightbeam since its launch in October 2013 
> Will it be a million by December? Saying "more than a million" is a lot
> better than "nearly a million".
Checking on these. Will get back to you ASAP. 

>  
> > Open Badges:
> > 235,100 total badges issued
> > Over 1400% growth rate from Nov 2012
> Number of badges sounds good. 1400% growth rate is fishy, b/c that obviously
> means we didn't have many badges last year.
Let's use this stat:    1900 total issuers 
> 
> > Webmaker: 
> > 40610 users
> > 76138 projects
> > 1694 Maker Party events with 58005 attendees in more than 55 countries
> Seems like this could be condensed into one cool stat. Can you advise? And
> why are there more projects than members? The projects one seems most
> impressive...would like to build around that.

Here are all the Webmaker stats: 
2.2 million visits to Webmaker.org 
40610 users
Who have made 76138 projects 
And have thrown 1694 Maker Party events 
That had 58005 attendees 
In more than 55 countries 
And 329 cities around the world. 

>  
> > Summit:
> > 3 summit locations
> > 2,000 Mozillians
> > 90 countries represented
> > 114 languages spoken
> I mentioned this in our meeting the other day, but do we really need this
> section? If this is a graphic for Mozillians, then it makes total sense, but
> I don't really see how this is all that interesting to outsiders. What case
> is it making?
This is for both Mozillians and the external audience. We can remove if we need more room. 

>  
> > Mozilla Developer Network
> > 18 million visitors 
> > 70,000,000 pages viewed 
> These are good.
>  
> > Innovating: 
> > Together.js
> > Servo
> > Rust
> What are we saying here? Definitely need more info in order to be able to
> work with these.

Mostly, we just wanted to show that we are working in innovative reserach projects to help further the Web beyond the products that we have in market. I think this is another good one to remove if we need more room.

Comment 10

5 years ago
Thanks Shannon. I took all the above comments and put them into https://etherpad.mozilla.org/2013eoy. It doesn't feel complete yet, so please add or edit whatever you think is necessary.

Can we get this locked down by EOD Monday?

Comment 11

5 years ago
Hi John

If there's anyway we can incorporate the MDN redesign into this infographic, that would be great. Even if it's just using the new MDN logo: https://assets.mozillalabs.com/Brands-Logos/MDN/logo-wordmark/

Thanks

Paul

Comment 12

5 years ago
Thanks Paul. I'm sure we can use the new logo as a visual for that section. (Lee, take note.)
(Assignee)

Comment 13

5 years ago
It's already in the works. Thanks for the heads-up though!
Possible to include signatures on Stopwatching.us petition under "privacy"? It was close to half a million but I can get the exact #.

Comment 15

5 years ago
(In reply to Andrea Wood from comment #14)
> Possible to include signatures on Stopwatching.us petition under "privacy"?
> It was close to half a million but I can get the exact #.

It was 588, 351.  https://optin.stopwatching.us/

Something like "588,351 people demanded the US Congress reveal the extent of NSA spying"

Comment 16

5 years ago
We won't know final donation numbers, but they are another potential piece of data.

It would be something like "Raised $11,500,000 from 9 foundations and 50,000 individual donors."

We'll know exact donor numbers and the total on January 1st.

Comment 17

5 years ago
Shannon, can you advise on comments #14-16? Lee is already pretty far along with the design, so we need to know asap if you want to include it or not.

Thanks!
(Reporter)

Comment 18

5 years ago
Hi Andrea and Geoffrey - Given that we are already underway, I would prefer that we leave out that stat. This project has been underway for a few weeks now and I asked Erica Sacking from the Foundation to send us the top 3-5 stats from Foundation projects which is where we got Webmaker and Open Badges. We are doing a detailed blog post and we are happy to include these stats in the blog post recap.

Comment 19

5 years ago
Hey Shannon -- in regards to the Stop Watching Us stat, that number is actually not a MoFo thing--it was a joint project led by Alex Fowler, so could be great to show impact and reach around privacy. Let me know if I can help. 

The Badges & Webmaker stats look good. Thank you!

Comment 20

5 years ago
Hi Shannon. Understood. Incorporating fundraising into this will always be hard, as December 30th is the biggest day of the year; we bring in 1000s of donors and dollars on that day.

I'd make one more pitch for StopWatching.Us, though. =)  It's Mozilla's largest accomplishment around the most topical web-related issue of the year, the NSA. It also represents a huge, combined feat involving Harvey's team, Pete's team, and Mark's team, not to mention the large network of partner orgs, was made possible by relationships formed during SOPA/PIPPA, etc.

Thanks!
(Reporter)

Comment 21

5 years ago
Hi John and Lee - Quick update that  under Firefox desktop we can add "half a billion users" I've updated that in the etherpad as well.
(Assignee)

Comment 22

5 years ago
Created attachment 8342075 [details]
mozilla_eoy_infographic_2013_2.jpg

Hi all, I wanted to post this work-in-progress mock up of our infographic. Please use it to get a sense of how the copy points and stats might be laid out (and what we can possibly do to streamline or improve how they read). I'm hoping that we can get all content solidified very soon, so I can nail down the layout.

*Note I'm still in the process of creating a graphic header "Mozilla 2013" and other fun tidbits that will make this more visually rich. 

Hope you like where it's going!
(Reporter)

Comment 23

5 years ago
Hi Lee! Thanks so much! This in AMAZING start and I love it so far :) 

Do you want to meet quickly tomorrow do go over some ideas I have on how to improve how they read? Thinking it would be best to either turn everything into a digit  number or the other way around, so instead of "half a billion" 500,000,000 might be more compelling :) Also, we might be able to change the language in the OS section to break them out more individually. I'll be in the office and am free after 2pm if that works for you :)

Comment 24

5 years ago
Thanks Lee! This is looking good...I'll follow up with you on more thoughts tomorrow. +1 for your getting together with Shannon to discuss, too.

Shannon, what are the l10n plans for this? Am trying to resource the localized versions and it would be great to know when we'd be able to get started (and when they're due). We're aiming to have the en-US version finished by this Friday.
(Reporter)

Comment 25

5 years ago
Hi John - Barbara let us know that they sourced a designer to help with European locales (German, Spanish - Spain, Italian, French and Polish). We'd love help from your resources for Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese and LatAm Spanish. Ideally, we'd like to post next Thursday, if possible so would EOD Wednesday work? Barbara also let us know that they would need an open file for the local designer to help with the localized versions. Do you think its possible in any way to get the open file by EOD Thursday?
(Reporter)

Comment 26

5 years ago
Hi Lee - I just wanted to let you know that the content in the etherpad should be stamped final. We added one final stat under desktop about gaming. I'm going to get our global team know we well for L10N. 

Thanks!
(Assignee)

Comment 27

5 years ago
Created attachment 8343220 [details]
mozilla_eoy_infographic_2013_5.jpg

Thanks for the update, Shannon. I'm attaching the latest mockup here, with the final copy flowed in. Please have a look at it and let me know what you think! 

Also, let me know when we have the PT translations for me to adjust for. You can make the check payable to: Lee Tom  ;)

Comment 28

5 years ago
Thanks Lee!

Question for Shannon: in the FxOS section, can we just say "3 smartphones" instead of "3 Firefox OS smartphones"? Seems tighter and less redundant.
(Reporter)

Comment 29

5 years ago
LEE! Thank you so much! it looks SOOO good! 

John - Agree with your comment. We can remove Firefox OS. 

I have our agency doing the Portuguese version so I think you are off the hook Lee :) 

Thank you!
(Assignee)

Comment 30

5 years ago
Created attachment 8343428 [details]
mozilla_eoy_2013_EN_72dpi.jpg

Thanks Shannon! I'm so happy that you like it. Here's the final .jpg for the EN version. I also uploaded a 300dpi version for print and the vector file on our Box account. You can find them here: 

Box / Creative / Engagement / Infographics / 2013 Mozilla Infographic

Comment 31

5 years ago
Yeah!!!!

Comment 32

5 years ago
This is perfect- gorgeous!! LOVE IT :)
(Reporter)

Comment 33

5 years ago
Hi Lee - Do you have the illustrator file that we can share with our teams?
(Reporter)

Comment 34

5 years ago
Hi Lee - I am adding our European team here so they will have access to the final open file once you post it. :) Thanks!

Comment 35

5 years ago
Hi Lee - I cannot find the box folder you refer to. Can you send a link / add me and also send me the illustrator file. 
@ Shannon - since we just lost a day on this, I need to check when we can get this done by.
(Assignee)

Comment 36

5 years ago
Here's a link to the vector file: 
http://cl.ly/code/2r1n3z0p0v00

Also, any designers making edits to the copy will need the font, Fira Sans:
https://mozilla.app.box.com/s/4dhgg18ybvlqojoi10zw
(Reporter)

Comment 37

5 years ago
Hi Lee - Is there any way we can add a comma between the 1 an the 6 on the Maker Parties section? Looks like we are going to push this out on Monday.
(Reporter)

Comment 38

5 years ago
Hi Lee- I know this is very difficult, but it turns out we have 4 operators now for the Firefox OS section. the last operator launched unexpectedly late last week. Is there any way we can make that change when we add the comma?
(Assignee)

Comment 39

5 years ago
Created attachment 8346653 [details]
mozilla_eoy_2013_EN_72dpi.jpg

The comma and Firefox OS operators changes have been made to all the files (and replaced on Box) Shannon. Enjoy!
(Reporter)

Comment 40

5 years ago
Hi Lee - I am so sorry and I am not sure how I missed this on the graphic but it actually says 4 smartphones, not 4 operators. Can we update this ASAP. We have three smartphones in market with 4 operator partners. I've pulled the blog post from the main Mozilla blog.

Thanks
(Assignee)

Comment 41

5 years ago
Created attachment 8348085 [details]
mozilla_eoy_2013_EN_72dpi.jpg

Hi Shannon, here's the updated graphic for the blog. I also updated all the files on Box, in case you need the higher res file(s).
(Assignee)

Comment 42

5 years ago
Created attachment 8348215 [details]
mozilla_eoy_2013.svg

Posting the .SVG file here for accessibility
(Reporter)

Comment 43

5 years ago
Hi Lee - Can you re-send the link to Box for the Vector file?
(Assignee)

Comment 44

5 years ago
Here's a link to all vector files zipped: http://cl.ly/1h0L1e0W303T

- AI
- EPS
- SVG

Updated

5 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.