Closed Bug 954480 Opened 8 years ago Closed 8 years ago

Account window shows up on disconnect/reconnect

Categories

(Instantbird :: Account manager, defect)

x86
Windows 7
defect
Not set
minor

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: bugzilla, Assigned: aleth)

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

*** Original post on bio 1046 by Mook <mook.moz+bugs.instantbird AT gmail.com> at 2011-09-20 04:14:00 UTC ***

I thought I already filed this, but can't seem to find it...

When my internet connection dies, all my accounts get disconnected; this causes the account window to pop up (because I have no connected accounts).  I believe it would be better if that window didn't come up automatically (see bug 954434 (bio 1000), though that's more message oriented).  Perhaps only show the accounts window on startup if there are no accounts set to auto-connect, plus a link/button/something in the buddy list window to open it if nothing is connected?

This is on trunk, though it was at least as bad on 1.0.
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2011-10-17 10:40:14 UTC ***

The code at http://lxr.instantbird.org/instantbird/source/instantbird/modules/ibCore.jsm#227 shows the account manager when an account is disconnected "for the first time" (that is, if it is disconnected and won't reconnect automatically, or if it will reconnect automatically, the account manager is shown only for the first attempt).

I wonder if we should change this to showing the account manager only when the account can't automatically reconnect (we would just have to change the (account.reconnectAttempt <= 1) test with (account.reconnectAttempt == 0)).
Would that help for you?

Putting [1.2-wanted] in the status because it seems this window poping up annoys lots of users, it doesn't necessarily imply that what is described in comment 0 is exactly what we want to do.
Whiteboard: [1.2-wanted]
*** Original post on bio 1046 by Mook <mook.moz+bugs.instantbird AT gmail.com> at 2011-10-23 16:06:11 UTC ***

Yeah, that would be a big improvement already.  Sometimes I do get into the all-disconnected state, due to the machine going into hibernation and the network not being immediately up when it wakes; that's why I was hoping for no new dialogs at all.  But I can certainly live with fewer to start with.
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2011-10-23 17:14:36 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #2)

> Sometimes I do get into the
> all-disconnected state, due to the machine going into hibernation and the
> network not being immediately up when it wakes;

Isn't this a totally different bug (which we really need to fix)?
Attached patch PatchSplinter Review
*** Original post on bio 1046 as attmnt 1658 at 2012-06-21 19:46:00 UTC ***

Trivial patch implementing the suggestion from comment #1, which seems to address the issue in the original bug report.

I suspect there could be another problematic case though: If I am a user who has no accounts set to autoconnect, and I /quit an account (the only one I am connected to), I might not want the account manager popping up as I *decided* to disconnect. (_showAccountManagerIfNeeded currently only checks we aren't Offline overall.)

Haved there been any reports along those lines? Probably not worth looking into unless that is the case.
Attachment #8353415 - Flags: review?(florian)
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2012-06-21 20:02:17 UTC ***

Or maybe the if clause should be |if (account.reconnectAttempt == 5)| - i.e. show the account manager after a number of reconnection attempts have failed, to let the user know something is wrong?
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2012-06-21 20:33:16 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #4)

> I suspect there could be another problematic case though: If I am a user who
> has no accounts set to autoconnect, and I /quit an account (the only one I am
> connected to), I might not want the account manager popping up as I *decided*
> to disconnect. (_showAccountManagerIfNeeded currently only checks we aren't
> Offline overall.)
> 
> Haved there been any reports along those lines? Probably not worth looking into
> unless that is the case.

Such a report would almost be a good reason to drop the /quit command. /offline works too in that context ;).
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2012-06-21 20:35:41 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #5)
> Or maybe the if clause should be |if (account.reconnectAttempt == 5)| - i.e.
> show the account manager after a number of reconnection attempts have failed,
> to let the user know something is wrong?

Would you do that even when other accounts are (still) connected?

Hoping the accounts will do several reconnections attempt may not be as reliable as we would like it to be, especially if we have bugs related to connection timeouts and some connection attempts never report that they failed.
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2012-06-21 20:49:09 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > Or maybe the if clause should be |if (account.reconnectAttempt == 5)| - i.e.
> > show the account manager after a number of reconnection attempts have failed,
> > to let the user know something is wrong?
> 
> Would you do that even when other accounts are (still) connected?

I suppose one would have to, to be consistent. And that could be an annoying interruption if it happens frequently for some server or other.
 
> Hoping the accounts will do several reconnections attempt may not be as
> reliable as we would like it to be, especially if we have bugs related to
> connection timeouts and some connection attempts never report that they failed.

So, not a good idea then.
Comment on attachment 8353415 [details] [diff] [review]
Patch

*** Original change on bio 1046 attmnt 1658 at 2012-06-23 22:33:07 UTC was without comment, so any subsequent comment numbers will be shifted ***
Attachment #8353415 - Flags: review?(florian) → review+
*** Original post on bio 1046 at 2012-06-24 01:31:33 UTC ***

Checked in as http://hg.instantbird.org/instantbird/rev/3fcf847202dc
Assignee: nobody → aleth
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: [1.2-wanted]
Target Milestone: --- → 1.2
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.