Bump emoticon themes for Instantbird 1.3

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

Instantbird Servers
addons.instantbird.org
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
5 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: Instantbot, Assigned: Quentin Raynaud)

Tracking

Details

(Reporter)

Description

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 by Tiles <reiner.prokein AT t-online.de> at 2012-11-22 12:08:00 UTC ***

Virtually every smilie pack i tried is disfunctional in Instantbird 1.3. The packs that i had installed turned off, telling me that they are not compatible. And the ones that can be downloaded at the instantbird page refuses to install because they are not compatible with 1.3 neither. Smilies are essential in a chat software though. Delivering a chat software update that turns off all smilies is no go.

What i don`t understand is that smilies are just graphics that gets displayed. They should be compatible in all cases. And i cannot really think that the developers have forgotten about them. That`s why i smell a bug here.

Win 7, 64 Bit, Instantbird 1.3

EDIT - it`s nonsense to force users to choose a component when the needed component is not in the list. There should at least be a "other" field then.
Severity: major → normal
OS: Windows 7 → All
Hardware: x86 → All
Summary: No smilies in Instantbird 1.3 → Bump emoticon themes for Instantbird 1.3
(Reporter)

Comment 1

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 by Tiles <reiner.prokein AT t-online.de> at 2012-11-22 17:41:14 UTC ***

Thanks Patrick :)

>It doesn't turn off emoticons,

That`s why i thought and think about a bug here. For me it did turn off all my installed emoticons packs, telling me they are all incompatible. I had a few installed to test them eons ago. And used the koblok pack then. And the available emoticon addons at the plugin page doesn`t install anymore, i have at least found not a single one that was working. And tried quite a few. And a simple smiley didn`t show up as smiley anymore, but showed the normal signs, the bracket and the double point: :) Means the builtin ones seemed to have quit working too.

I`m back at Instantbird 1.2 at the moment. Here the emoticon packs all works.


>> EDIT - it`s nonsense to force users to choose a component when the needed
>> component is not in the list. There should at least be a "other" field then.
>That's because this isn't a bug in one of our add-ons that we support.

Sorry, this was a comment for this bugtracker here that forced me to select an option where there was no useful option to select :)
*** Original post on bio 1816 at 2012-11-22 18:06:37 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #2)
> >It doesn't turn off emoticons,
> That`s why i thought and think about a bug here. For me it did turn off all my
> installed emoticons packs, telling me they are all incompatible.
I think you're greatly misunderstanding me. We don't control the add-ons. If an author does not update them, they are not marked as compatible. Thus they become "disabled" when you upgrade. This is not a bug in any way.

> Means the builtin ones seemed to have quit working too.
If you have selected "Default" and it doesn't work, then there's a major bug somewhere. It IS working fine for me though. The other ones are add-ons.

> >> EDIT - it`s nonsense to force users to choose a component when the needed
> >> component is not in the list. There should at least be a "other" field then.
> >That's because this isn't a bug in one of our add-ons that we support.
> Sorry, this was a comment for this bugtracker here that forced me to select an
> option where there was no useful option to select :)
Yes, this is on purpose. We only allow bugs to be filed on add-ons that we created. Otherwise you have to contact the add-on author.

An alternate solution, by the way, would be to make add-ons compatible by default. I'm not sure what's involved in doing this.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 by Tiles <reiner.prokein AT t-online.de> at 2012-11-22 19:06:37 UTC ***

Ah, now i see. My fault, sorry :)

This means the old mozilla problem with the addons strikes back here. Every update kills lots of plugins just because there is one little token in the plugin that tells them to be outdated when the number doesn`t match with the software anymore. I`ve never understood this.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 by Tiles <reiner.prokein AT t-online.de> at 2012-11-22 19:07:30 UTC ***

But i am still unsure if it is not nevertheless a bug. Because ALL smilies have quit working.
*** Original post on bio 1816 at 2012-11-23 04:04:02 UTC ***

All the emoticon themes were bumped earlier today by Mic. It seems that we default to the "none" emoticon style if the currently select emoticon style is disabled. Perhaps we should default to the default style.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 by Tiles <reiner.prokein AT t-online.de> at 2012-11-23 08:31:29 UTC ***

Sounds like a good idea to me :)

Comment 7

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 at 2012-11-23 16:51:02 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #4)
> This means the old mozilla problem with the addons strikes back here. Every
> update kills lots of plugins just because there is one little token in the
> plugin that tells them to be outdated when the number doesn`t match with the
> software anymore. I`ve never understood this.
We are hoping to change the way we handle add-ons soon to match the recent changed behaviour in Firefox, which no longer disables most add-ons and should help.

Comment 8

5 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1816 at 2012-11-23 16:53:00 UTC ***

I meant to mark it as resolved as the emoticon themes have been bumped ;)
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
*** Original post on bio 1816 at 2012-11-22 15:21:21 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #0)
> Virtually every smilie pack i tried is disfunctional in Instantbird 1.3. The
> packs that i had installed turned off, telling me that they are not compatible.
> And the ones that can be downloaded at the instantbird page refuses to install
> because they are not compatible with 1.3 neither. Smilies are essential in a
> chat software though. Delivering a chat software update that turns off all
> smilies is no go.
It doesn't turn off emoticons, all the built-in emoticon packs should work fine. (They do for me, at least.) We don't control all the extensions that people write.

> What i don`t understand is that smilies are just graphics that gets displayed.
> They should be compatible in all cases. And i cannot really think that the
> developers have forgotten about them. That`s why i smell a bug here.
They actually could become "incompatible" if we change things in the way emoticons are handled.

> EDIT - it`s nonsense to force users to choose a component when the needed
> component is not in the list. There should at least be a "other" field then.
That's because this isn't a bug in one of our add-ons that we support.

We've discussed (briefly) on IRC about bumping the compatibility of some of the emoticon themes.
Assignee: nobody → bugzilla
Component: Demo Add-ons → addons.instantbird.org
Product: Instantbird → Instantbird Servers
Version: trunk → unspecified
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.