Bug 778688 comment 38 covers a number of intermittent failures where we have the generic log output: "command timed out: N seconds without output, attempting to kill" Whilst we've added this to the TBPL regexes, so we can use TBPL's bug suggestion feature - the messages are generic, so many suggestions are shown, eg: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=command%20timed%20out%20keywords%3Aintermittent Whilst I'd prefer the worst of these failure modes to be handled by the mozharness/test harness/... itself, we're always going to have edge cases where timeouts occur and it's not worth adding TBPL-compatible failure messages to that script. As such, I was thinking we should prefix the timeout messages with the build step name or else the process name (former preferred) here: http://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot/file/6d8bc44b5874/slave/buildslave/runprocess.py#l657 657 def doTimeout(self): 658 self.timer = None 659 msg = "command timed out: %d seconds without output" % self.timeout 660 self.kill(msg) 661 662 def doMaxTimeout(self): 663 self.maxTimer = None 664 msg = "command timed out: %d seconds elapsed" % self.maxTime 665 self.kill(msg) Now I know buildbot patches are generally a bit more awkward - so don't know if you think we would need to upstream first - or even whether they'd take it the change? Dustin, what do you think? :-)
I'd like to see that upstream, sure. Shipping a change to non-Windows systems is pretty easy - it's done with Puppet. Windows is still hard.
Upstream PR: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/1130
Created attachment 8408096 [details] [diff] [review] For timeouts include the command being run in the failure string Backport of upstream commit: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/commit/b66cc92ee5a7ec0e923c7ab2055a38d07ac3515c I've checked that we won't break any of the current regex: https://mxr.mozilla.org/build/search?string=command%2Btimed%2Bout
Comment on attachment 8408096 [details] [diff] [review] For timeouts include the command being run in the failure string Assuming you're confident that fake_command works the same way in 0.8.2, this looks just like the patch I merged :)
Landed on default & transplanted to production-0.8, since there are buildbot master changes that require a restart that did not want to be merged across just yet. https://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot/rev/6ac947fa5721 https://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot/rev/8a9e33843c3f
This is still waiting for bug 1009584 to actually be deployed, but closing this so it still appearing in bugzilla-todos.
This is deployed on !Windows; bug 1042597 will take care of Windows. @Sheriffs: Note this bug changes "command timed out: 2400 seconds without output" to "command timed out: 2400 seconds without output running <cmd...>"