Closed Bug 966741 Opened 6 years ago Closed 6 years ago

Middle clicking recently closed tab item in history view keeps panel open

Categories

(Firefox :: Bookmarks & History, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

()

VERIFIED FIXED
Firefox 30
Tracking Status
firefox29 --- verified
firefox30 --- verified

People

(Reporter: jmjjeffery, Assigned: Gijs)

References

(Blocks 1 open bug)

Details

(Whiteboard: [Australis:P3])

Attachments

(1 file)

I have noticed some inconsistencies in the History actions when History is accessed from the MenuPanel.

Use a Profile with some History.

Re-opening tabs that are in 'recent closed tabs' list.
Left clicking on a recent-closed will open the link in a new tab and close the panel.
Mid-clicking will open the tab, but leave the panel visible.

Elsewhere in the History list
Left clicking a link will open tab in the 'current active', unlike left click from recent closed opening in a new tab, and the panel will close.
Mid-clicking a link from History will open in a new tab, and close the panel.

I think no matter what you open or how they open, left click, or mid-click should be consistent.

No matter if you re-open a closed tab from 'recent closed', or from the History list the following mouse-click actions should be consistent:

Left Click - open History item in 'current active tab'
Mid click - open History item in a 'new tab'. 
Either action should close the History Panel.

The above actions are the same as those produced if you open any History item, recent closed, or history item from the Menu-bar -> History

I hope I've stated these action correctly.. sort of confusing, really.
Whiteboard: [Australis:P3]
(In reply to Jim Jeffery not reading bug-mail 1/2/11 from comment #0)
> I have noticed some inconsistencies in the History actions when History is
> accessed from the MenuPanel.
> 
> Use a Profile with some History.
> 
> Re-opening tabs that are in 'recent closed tabs' list.
> Left clicking on a recent-closed will open the link in a new tab and close
> the panel.
> Mid-clicking will open the tab, but leave the panel visible.

I can't reproduce this on current fx-team, that is, the panel closes for mid-clicks, too. Can you?

> Elsewhere in the History list
> Left clicking a link will open tab in the 'current active', unlike left
> click from recent closed opening in a new tab, and the panel will close.
> Mid-clicking a link from History will open in a new tab, and close the panel.
> 
> I think no matter what you open or how they open, left click, or mid-click
> should be consistent.
> 
> No matter if you re-open a closed tab from 'recent closed', or from the
> History list the following mouse-click actions should be consistent:

A "recently closed tab" should always (re)open in another tab, and a recently closed window should always (re)open in another window. I don't think we want to change that.
Flags: needinfo?(jmjeffery)
Mid-clicking a 'recently closed tab' will leave the History Panel displayed, still.

currently testing with win32 m-c tinderbox build cset: 
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/2c366892729d

Mid-click from any History item that is NOT in the recently closed list (don't care about recent closed windows at this point) will CLOSE the HistoryPanel.  The HistoryPanel will NOT close if mid-clicked on a 'recent closed tab' history item.
Flags: needinfo?(jmjeffery)
(In reply to Jim Jeffery not reading bug-mail 1/2/11 from comment #2)
> Mid-clicking a 'recently closed tab' will leave the History Panel displayed,
> still.
> 
> currently testing with win32 m-c tinderbox build cset: 
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/2c366892729d
> 
> Mid-click from any History item that is NOT in the recently closed list
> (don't care about recent closed windows at this point) will CLOSE the
> HistoryPanel.  The HistoryPanel will NOT close if mid-clicked on a 'recent
> closed tab' history item.

OK, this I can reproduce. Thanks!
Summary: Inconsistent click actions in History MenuPanel → Middle clicking recently closed tab item in history view keeps panel open
An alternative solution would be adjusting the panel click handler to also care about middle-clicks, but that'd affect a lot of other buttons. Right now middle-clicking e.g. new private window doesn't do anything, and making something that does nothing close the panel seems like it wouldn't be the right thing to do.
Attachment #8381367 - Flags: review?(jaws)
Assignee: nobody → gijskruitbosch+bugs
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attachment #8381367 - Flags: review?(jaws) → review+
remote:   https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/fx-team/rev/3c39ae858c61
OS: Windows 7 → All
Hardware: x86_64 → All
Whiteboard: [Australis:P3] → [Australis:P3][fixed-in-fx-team]
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/3c39ae858c61
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: [Australis:P3][fixed-in-fx-team] → [Australis:P3]
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 30
Comment on attachment 8381367 [details] [diff] [review]
middle-clicking recently closed items in Australis menu panel should close the panel,

[Approval Request Comment]
Bug caused by (feature/regressing bug #): Australis
User impact if declined: middle-clicking recently closed tabs doesn't close the panel, which means users can click other items, which won't reopen the right tab (!)
Testing completed (on m-c, etc.): on m-c
Risk to taking this patch (and alternatives if risky): low, localized patch for this specific purpose
String or IDL/UUID changes made by this patch: none
Attachment #8381367 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora?
Attachment #8381367 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora? → approval-mozilla-aurora+
QA Contact: cornel.ionce
Mid-clicking a recent-closed tab will open the selected tab and close the menu panel.
Verified on latest Aurora and on Firefox 29 beta 1.

Build ID's:
Aurora - 20140324004000
Fx 29b1 - 20140318013849

User Agents:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.