Status

defect
--
minor
RESOLVED FIXED
5 years ago
Last year

People

(Reporter: uhmyearightok, Assigned: InvisibleSmiley)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

()

Attachments

(2 attachments)

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features.en.html

Typos corrected and some descriptions enhanced. Updated file attached with differences.
This is the updated HTML file, can be copy-pasted over previous text.
Comment on attachment 8388012 [details] [diff] [review]
features.en.html.diff

Thank you for the patch. Over to Jens our website lead
Attachment #8388012 - Flags: review?(jh)
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Comment on attachment 8388012 [details] [diff] [review]
features.en.html.diff

Ian, as a native speaker please have a look at this. "possibilities" and "enterprise" are obvious typos which I'd correct right away, and I'm almost sure about the "re-visit" case, too. But I'm not so sure about the others. Please clarify for each of those whether they are

a) completely wrong in the first place
b) suboptimal
c) alright (as in OK either way).

Thanks.

Further suggestions are welcome as well as long as we don't get into bike-shedding too much.
Attachment #8388012 - Flags: feedback?(iann_bugzilla)
Yes, those are the obvious ones (also "crashes should me rare" is an obvious typo; me = I, myself; they definitely meant to type "crashes should be rare").

The other corrections I made aren't so much errors or typos but slightly unnatural/suboptimal wording or sentence structure. On paper it makes sense, but when you say them out-loud it would sound very strange.

I chose more natural words and structure without changing/losing the original meaning and intention.
**I write promotional material at my day job, so, I thought I'd help :)
(In reply to uhmyearightok from comment #4)
> Yes, those are the obvious ones (also "crashes should me rare" is an obvious
> typo; me = I, myself; they definitely meant to type "crashes should be
> rare").

Oops, I have to admit I didn't even spot that one! Sharp eye.

For the rest I'll just wait for Ian's feedback if you don't mind.
Comment on attachment 8388012 [details] [diff] [review]
features.en.html.diff

>--- seamonkeyproject-org/src/doc/features.en.html
>   <p><strong>Session restore</strong> brings back all your open windows and tabs
>     after the rare occasion that SeaMonkey crashes&mdash;and if you wish even when
>-    you close and reopen the browser or restart your computer. But crashes
>-    should me rare nowadays since a crashing plugin will not take the whole
>-    application down anymore.</p>
>+    you close and reopen the browser or restart your computer. However, crashes
>+    should be rare nowadays because crashing plug-ins will no longer take the whole
>+    application down.</p>
This seems fine.

> 
>   <p>SeaMonkey's powerful <strong>Add-ons Management</strong> provides almost
>-    infinite possibilies to extend your Internet experience both through
>+    infinite possibilities to extend your Internet experience both through
>     installing additional functionality created by others and even freely
>     developing your own extensions and providing them to the rest of the
>     SeaMonkey community.</p>
And this.

>   <p><strong>Smart Location Bar</strong> enables you to search your visited web
>     pages right when typing in the browser's location bar and finding what you
>-    want to re-visited as fast as possible by learning which pages you visit
>+    want to re-visit as quickly as possible by learning which pages you visit
>     frequently.</p>
Change is ok, but the line before needs fixing too. Something like "pages as you type into the browser's location bar and find what you"


>   <p>Plus all the features a modern browser should have, including: Advanced
>     security settings, download management, web form autocompletion, themes,
>     toolbar customization, multi-language and multi-platform support, plus
>-    the latest in web standards.</p>
>+    support for the latest web standards.</p>
This is fine.

>   <p>Manage your mail with customizable <strong>Tags</strong> and <strong>Mail
>     Views</strong>. Color code your e-mail to help you prioritize. Sort your
>-    mail with views to help you through your e-mail much faster.</p>
>+    mail with views to help you sort through your e-mail much faster.</p>
Maybe change "Sort your mail..." to "Filter your mail..."
 
 
>-  <p>SeaMonkey Mail &amp; Newsgroups includes nterprise-ready features such as
>+  <p>SeaMonkey Mail &amp; Newsgroups includes enterprise-ready features such as
>     S/MIME, return receipts, address books, LDAP support, and digital signing.</p>
This is fine.
Attachment #8388012 - Flags: feedback?(iann_bugzilla) → feedback+
Checking in src/doc/features.en.html;
/www/seamonkeyproject-org/src/doc/features.en.html,v  <--  features.en.html
new revision: 1.9; previous revision: 1.8
done

(In reply to Ian Neal from comment #6)
> >-    should me rare nowadays since a crashing plugin will not take the whole
> >-    application down anymore.</p>
> >+    you close and reopen the browser or restart your computer. However, crashes
> >+    should be rare nowadays because crashing plug-ins will no longer take the

FTR: Throughout Mozilla code, "plugin" is used. I understand that you might want to apply different rules to prose.

> >   <p>Manage your mail with customizable <strong>Tags</strong> and <strong>Mail
> >     Views</strong>. Color code your e-mail to help you prioritize. Sort your

I would have put a hyphen between "Color" and "code" because it looks wrong to me without one, but since you didn't feel the need to change it, I guess it's OK either way?
Assignee: nobody → jh
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Attachment #8388012 - Flags: review?(jh) → review+
(In reply to Jens Hatlak (:InvisibleSmiley) from comment #7)
[...]
> > >     Views</strong>. Color code your e-mail to help you prioritize. Sort your
> 
> I would have put a hyphen between "Color" and "code" because it looks wrong
> to me without one, but since you didn't feel the need to change it, I guess
> it's OK either way?

The difference between the requirement (or not) for a hyphen when "color code" is used a a verb might be a difference between en-GB and en-US. Whom do we have who is native to the USA? Callek maybe?
(In reply to Tony Mechelynck [:tonymec] from comment #8)
> (In reply to Jens Hatlak (:InvisibleSmiley) from comment #7)
> [...]
> > > >     Views</strong>. Color code your e-mail to help you prioritize. Sort your
> > 
> > I would have put a hyphen between "Color" and "code" because it looks wrong
> > to me without one, but since you didn't feel the need to change it, I guess
> > it's OK either way?
> 
> The difference between the requirement (or not) for a hyphen when "color
> code" is used a a verb might be a difference between en-GB and en-US. Whom
> do we have who is native to the USA? Callek maybe?

Sorry I'd not spotted this, yes, it should be hyphenated. It is a verb "to color-code".
Product: Websites → SeaMonkey
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.