Closed Bug 990302 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

[Australis Onboarding] L10N for Fx Desktop overview and supporting pages

Categories

(www.mozilla.org :: L10N, defect)

Production
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: malexis, Unassigned)

References

Details

Jon, can you add details for which branch/demo server this will live when ready?

Strings are frozen and ready for l10n hand off April 1.
I'll post branch bug-975156-fx-desktop-pages to the bedrock repo tomorrow morning. It appears demo 4 is free, so I'll push the branch there at the same time.

I'll update this bug as soon as the above is complete.
It would also probably be helpful to list all the different urls that this update is touching if possible, thanks.
Okay, both the branch and demo 4 are up:

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/tree/bug-975156-fx-desktop-pages

https://www-demo4.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/
https://www-demo4.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/trust/
https://www-demo4.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/customize/
https://www-demo4.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/fast/

I'll continue to work on the UI of the pages, but as far as I know strings are final. As the designs & animations are not 100% complete yet, there may be small string additions/changes, but they would likely be minimal/navigational, e.g. "Next" or "Play again".
A couple of questions about the common template for these pages:

Is the period in "Different by design." normal in the template? In other areas of the site we had 'Different by design' without a period and we could reuse this string.

The newsletter subscription says 'Get mozilla updates' while on other localized pages we have 'Get Firefox updates'. Is that wanted? Is it a different newsletter?

Thanks
In this template:
https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/blob/bug-975156-fx-desktop-pages/bedrock/firefox/templates/firefox/desktop/fast.html#L64

Can you put the line line break outside of the l10n call please?

{{ _('So things like opening or switching <br class="wide-br">between tabs and getting results from the Awesome Bar happen faster than ever.<br class="wide-br">') }}

-> {{ _('So things like opening or switching <br class="wide-br">between tabs and getting results from the Awesome Bar happen faster than ever.') }}

Thanks
(In reply to Pascal Chevrel:pascalc from comment #5)
> In this template:
> https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/blob/bug-975156-fx-desktop-pages/bedrock/
> firefox/templates/firefox/desktop/fast.html#L64
> 
> Can you put the line line break outside of the l10n call please?
> 
> {{ _('So things like opening or switching <br class="wide-br">between tabs
> and getting results from the Awesome Bar happen faster than ever.<br
> class="wide-br">') }}
> 
> -> {{ _('So things like opening or switching <br class="wide-br">between
> tabs and getting results from the Awesome Bar happen faster than ever.') }}
> 
> Thanks

The line break is there for visual formatting of the en-US strings only (and only on desktop sized viewports). That line break may not be desirable in that location for other translations. The goal is to keep the line length as close to uniform as possible in each paragraph. It's not important to have a line break after that specific sentence all the time - it just happens to work out that way for en-US. We don't want a line break there for all locales - only when it makes sense visually.

I know trying to keep line length uniform in these scenarios is a pain. If we have to sacrifice perfect line breaks to get strings localized, then so be it.

What do you think?
(In reply to Pascal Chevrel:pascalc from comment #4)
> A couple of questions about the common template for these pages:
> 
> Is the period in "Different by design." normal in the template? In other
> areas of the site we had 'Different by design' without a period and we could
> reuse this string.
> 
> The newsletter subscription says 'Get mozilla updates' while on other
> localized pages we have 'Get Firefox updates'. Is that wanted? Is it a
> different newsletter?
> 
> Thanks

After asking Matej, it appears those footer strings ("Get Mozilla updates" and "Different by Design.") are not yet final. We're trying to get someone to make the call. I'll update the bug/branch/demo server as soon as a decision is reached.
(In reply to Pascal Chevrel:pascalc from comment #4)
> A couple of questions about the common template for these pages:
> 
> Is the period in "Different by design." normal in the template? In other
> areas of the site we had 'Different by design' without a period and we could
> reuse this string.

We actually won't be using "Different by design" at all anymore as of this launch.

I think this will just say "Download Firefox" or "Choose Firefox," but I don't think that's been decided yet.

Setting a needinfo? for Jen to figure out how we figure that out.

> The newsletter subscription says 'Get mozilla updates' while on other
> localized pages we have 'Get Firefox updates'. Is that wanted? Is it a
> different newsletter?

This should be "Get Firefox updates"

Thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(jbertsch)
We've decided to drop the title above the footer download button entirely. Will push to the demo server shortly.
Flags: needinfo?(jbertsch)
demo 4 has been updated with the new footer string (and string removal).
(In reply to Jon Petto [:jpetto] from comment #6)
> (In reply to Pascal Chevrel:pascalc from comment #5)
> > In this template:
> > https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/blob/bug-975156-fx-desktop-pages/bedrock/
> > firefox/templates/firefox/desktop/fast.html#L64
> > 
> > Can you put the line line break outside of the l10n call please?
> > 
> > {{ _('So things like opening or switching <br class="wide-br">between tabs
> > and getting results from the Awesome Bar happen faster than ever.<br
> > class="wide-br">') }}
> > 
> > -> {{ _('So things like opening or switching <br class="wide-br">between
> > tabs and getting results from the Awesome Bar happen faster than ever.') }}
> > 
> > Thanks
> 
> The line break is there for visual formatting of the en-US strings only (and
> only on desktop sized viewports). That line break may not be desirable in
> that location for other translations. The goal is to keep the line length as
> close to uniform as possible in each paragraph. It's not important to have a
> line break after that specific sentence all the time - it just happens to
> work out that way for en-US. We don't want a line break there for all
> locales - only when it makes sense visually.
> 
> I know trying to keep line length uniform in these scenarios is a pain. If
> we have to sacrifice perfect line breaks to get strings localized, then so
> be it.
> 
> What do you think?

If it makes things difficult for en-US, don't change it, thanks.
In the Trust page, some links at the bottom are hardcoding en-US locale code, please remove the locale codes to let the sites do locale negociation, thanks.
I'm not sure if this affects l10n, but I found two small errors on these pages:

Overview page:
• "Web" in subhead should be capitalized

Flexible page:
• In the "More ways to customize" section, the "Bar" in the Awesome Bar subhead should be capitalized
(In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #13)
> I'm not sure if this affects l10n, but I found two small errors on these
> pages:
> 
> Overview page:
> • "Web" in subhead should be capitalized
> 
> Flexible page:
> • In the "More ways to customize" section, the "Bar" in the Awesome Bar
> subhead should be capitalized

Can we get that fixed today? I can wait until tomorrow to launch the translation at a large scale but I'd like not to wait more.
Removed hard coded en-US from links on trust page and updated capitalization. demo 4 has been updated.
(In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #8)

> This should be "Get Firefox updates"
> 
> Thanks.

Could it be 'Get Firefox news' instead? We have this string translated for the current whatsnew page.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/whatsnew/
(In reply to Pascal Chevrel:pascalc from comment #16)
> (In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #8)
> 
> > This should be "Get Firefox updates"
> > 
> > Thanks.
> 
> Could it be 'Get Firefox news' instead? We have this string translated for
> the current whatsnew page.
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/whatsnew/

Yes, let's keep it consistent with what we have now. Thanks.
In sub-templates, please:

* _trust_badge.html
add this line at the top of the file:

{% add_lang_files "firefox/desktop/trust" %}


* _speed_badge.html
add this line at the top of the file:

{% add_lang_files "firefox/desktop/index" %}

* desktop-base.html
Change 'Get Firefox updates' to 'Get Firefox news'

* customize.html and trust.html
there are 10 links to internal pages, AMO and SUMO that have the en-US locale code hardcoded, please remove the locale code to allow the site to do locale negoiciation.


Thanks
The „Most trusted internet company for privacy" badge appears only as a text string for locales, the reason seems to be that this is all styled by CSS with a locale selector [lang=en-US], it that wanted?
(In reply to Pascal Chevrel:pascalc from comment #19)
> The „Most trusted internet company for privacy" badge appears only as a text
> string for locales, the reason seems to be that this is all styled by CSS
> with a locale selector [lang=en-US], it that wanted?

We're only using the circle/badge for en-US, as it would be near impossible to fit variable length strings/words. We're still waiting on a design for other locales. It will likely be something similar, but more rectangular to allow for expanding text.
Hi All, 
http://cl.ly/3r2K2l3r2F3k

Here's a PSD with a few versions of badge art (the circle for EN-US/UK using League Gothic font also quick mocks of un-official DE and GR translations using Open Sans).

I also included a mobile (300px wide) version we can try to code around.

We can still tweak any of this if it's not working out obviously, but here's what I have so far:

Desktop version (460px wide)
League Gothic
font size: 50pt
leading: 44pt
tracking: 0

Open Sans Bold
font size: 30pt
leading: 30pt
tracking: -25


Mobile version (300px wide)
League Gothic
font size: 50pt
leading: 44pt
tracking: 0
*I believe the EN version (circle with League Gothic) will fit on the Mobile version, right?

Open Sans Bold
font size: 20pt
leading: 20pt
tracking: -25
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/desktop/ just live in 66 languages!
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
OS: Mac OS X → All
Hardware: x86 → All
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.