* Short-term: do better up-front communication for people submitting in another language. Communicate how the process will work, expected wait times, etc. * Longer-term: capture user locale along with the application. Then surface those applications for mentors who speak that language. * QUESTIONS 1) Automatic locale detection. Can we automatically capture the user's locale on the application side, and then pass that through to the application record? 2) Are we primarily using Google Translate right now? Should we just have Google Translate auto-translate the application? (with an option for the reviewer to switch this off / revert to original text?)
* Ali: do you have any thoughts here?
Submitting a form through Webmaker.org site is very easy to capture their locale and pass them through to wherever the application being record, but for the part using Google Translate I don't think we do use that in any of our process and we should avoid that if possible. The process I'm not so sure about it, but in my mind these kind of process is a manual process for communication right?
* Hey Ali. Thanks for this. * I wonder then if a good first step is: "capture and pass user's preferred locale with the badge application record" * Erik / Ali: does that sound like a good first step here?
I'd assume if the page they were trying to submit an application was in let say France then I would expect to receive the response in the same language too right? So, if we send preferred language is definitely a good start, but we also need to make sure it's translated in that language for both submit and response page.
There will definitely be multiple steps involved here, so this isn't a final solution, but I think Matt's suggestion for a first step works. I'll store the user's locale in the application, and display it on the application review page (and probably on the pending application list as well, so reviewers can see which applications match their locale of expertise more easily).
* Thanks Erik * Updated the scope of this ticket to reflect your proposal there
Summary: Do better at responding to badge applications in other languages → Capture user's preferred locale / language in their badge application
Whiteboard: [badges] [sep19] → [badges] [oct3]
* The [oct3] train has now left the station. So please update the whiteboard with [oct17], or whatever train you're now planning to put this on. Thanks!
Whiteboard: [badges] [oct3] → [badges] [nov14]
* [nov14] is past -- please update to [nov28] train or later
Whiteboard: [badges] [nov14] → [badges] [icebox]
This is no longer something we are working on or not in our scope.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.