Steps for reproduction: - Create a Fresh profile - Open https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlSF0dtDRD8 - Pause & unpause to ensure the video is focused - Use arrow keys to skip forward and backwards. Generally screw around this way for a minute or two. Results: Eventually the sound cuts out and all additional skips take a long time to load with the video spinner displaying each time. Pause functionality may also disappear. Additionally, all Windows audio is now muted/gone. Firefox audio can be regained with a restart, but other applications who attempted audio must also be restarted individually to regain their audio. I'm using Aurora 38.0a2 (2015-03-17) (32 bit). Windows 7, 64 bit. I'm attaching a memory report on the chance that it's useful. I also induced a crash: bp-ad98e0b1-73ad-4c83-8e3c-6f28a2150318 This may seem an edge case but I know I've experienced it before (in the last month or two?) *without* such extensive skipping, though I can imagine someone repeating such actions by skipping through a video/movie to locate a particular scene. Notably, I reproduced on Nightly, but after multiple tries was unable to reproduce on Beta. As per my comment in bug 1132594, my GPU sucks and I wish it would burn in a fire, but some day it may actually do that on it's own. No idea if that's somehow involved or if the integrated sound card (that how they work nowadays?) also sucks.
This sounds like the issue Paul mentioned in another Windows audio bug (I can't find the comment right now) where the addition of the device change notification stuff was causing (earlier?) resource exhaustion in the OS audio server process (audiodg.exe?). If that's the cause here, Paul suggested two ways to improve our behaviour: only register a single observer for device changes, and avoid recreating streams when seeking. I've pushed an untested patch that attempts to do the former of these to the try server: https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=63f692bbe88f The latter is worth doing, but requires a bit more work and has a higher chance of causing regressions. Paul, is there an easy way to detect the case where we've starved the OS's audio server process? Caspy7, if you could test the try build (when it completes) and report the results, that'd be much appreciated.
ni? padenot for the question in the previous comment.
Yeah, I can test that when it's baked. Would killing/restarting audiodg.exe (after sound is lost) tell us anything useful?
Matthew, yes, IAudioClient::Initialize returns AUDCLNT_E_CPUUSAGE_EXCEEDED.
Also we can reuse streams on seek to fix this, but that may be a bit more involved.
Tested the try build, got the same (undesirable) results. Attempted to kill/restart audiodg.exe but the system wouldn't allow it.
Assignee: nobody → kinetik
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
I talked to :padenot briefly on irc about this a few months ago and he acknowledged that it was a known issue. The attached testcase should reproduce this bug easily (its the same one I gave to :padenot on irc). This bug is not limited to just seeking. The following actions all seem to cause the memory consumption of the audiodg.exe process to grow without that memory ever being released until the Firefox process is closed: -Seeking -Playing a new audio file -Replaying the same audio file after the ended event has fired The last time I tested this, I believe the memory consumed by the audiodg.exe process was around 700 MB when Windows stopped producing sound.
Looks like you will need to download the testcase I posted since where I'm hosting the audio file doesn't like the testcase being run as a bugzilla attachment or you can replace it with a local file. :(
I tested both my original steps for reproduction and the newly attached testcase while keeping an eye on audiodg.exe. Both cases behaved similarly as memory escalated to about 26MB (26.69 & 26.36 respectively) before the sound cut out. Thereafter the memory didn't really move until after shutting down Firefox. I tried the testcase on Chrome for kicks and the memory didn't change the entire time. Notably, the other day I accidentally induced this by simply skipping forward with the keyboard in a medium length video and Aaron mentioned that his son also induced this. Both are Dell laptops if that counts for anything. Are others widely able to induce this? Either way, Dell is a pretty common brand and I'm concerned that this could be a common (and confusing/disruptive) annoyance for many users. Skipping forward in this manner is probably common usage for some.
Is this related http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670667 ?
Trevor, your bug seems to be slightly different to Caspy7's (could be the same underlying cause, but the behaviour of audiodg.exe is different). I've just posted a leak fix to bug 1134977 comment 21 that's very likely to fix Trevor's problem. It *may* fix Caspy7's, but I haven't verified that yet. That hotfix link is interesting, Anthony, thanks!
Thanks for pointing out that bug to me Matthew. I'll be sure to check it out. When trying to install that hotfix in comment #12 on Windows 7 64-bit the installer fails with "The update is not applicable to your computer." So, that is not a solution for me at least.
I just tried reproducing this using both the attached testcase and my instructions using the build found here: http://email@example.com/try-win32/ I could not reproduce it with that build. audiodg.exe barely went over 20MB and stayed fairly stable. \o/
Thanks for confirming; I'll make this bug a duplicate of bug 1134977 (where the fix has landed), and I'll open new bugs for the other audio changes I've been working on to alleviate this issue (before the root cause was found).
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1134977
This fixed the issues I was experiencing as well.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.