Rather than looking up every possible weak key while doing the weak marking phase, we could set a bit on the arena saying whether it contains any weakmap keys.
Created attachment 8723888 [details] [diff] [review] ArenaHeader bool bit to record whether the arena contains any weakmap keys I implemented this, and saw basically no difference in timing. I even added measurements of how many times we stopped after checking the bit, and it happened 20 million times (out of about 20.1 million total lookups). Without optimization: 1:52.81 (1 minute 52 seconds) With optimization: 1:50.87 saves=20468588 hits=13870 misses=132400 saves: the arena bit was unset hits: it was a weak map key misses: arena bit was set but it wasn't a weak map key Perhaps the lookup is fast? Or perhaps mapping a GCCellPtr to an arena header is slow? I don't know. Leaving this here for posterity.
That's a shame. I guess lookup is just really quick...
Created attachment 8724151 [details] weakstress.js For the record, this is the benchmark test script I used to measure the behavior. It's a little crazy -- it creates a bit of a tangled-up graph and then GCs. Although I reported the total times above, I was mostly looking at the 'Weak Marking' output in MOZ_GCTIMER. And there was a lot of time being spent in there during the graph construction. For the final GCs, I see: original: Mark Weak: 2205.529ms Mark Weak: 2209.159ms with optimization: Mark Weak: 2131.709ms Mark Weak: 2179.285ms So (assuming these single runs are to be believed; I haven't looked at the variance) it's a 3% improvement on a workload that's heavy on weak marking, but only for this single phase.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.