Closed Bug 1270516 Opened 4 years ago Closed 4 years ago

Investigate unexpectedly high average core ping count per client in early May

Categories

(Firefox for Android :: General, defect)

All
Android
defect
Not set

Tracking

()

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: mcomella, Assigned: mfinkle)

References

(Blocks 1 open bug)

Details

Finkle noticed the ping count was unexpectedly high and dropped again to expected numbers after a few days – he discovered that several clients were sending extremely large ping counts. Let's figure out what this was about!

I had some thoughts this could be automation so let's make sure we're not sending pings from our automation (bug 1270191). We should also consider whether Google Play tests our builds or not.

I believe Finkle is looking into this further.
This issue was caused by a bug in my ETL script. The get_pings method was using a date range, not a single day - which is how the ETL scripts are designed to work.

Once I fixed that, the high ping counts are gone. Things look normal.

The reason this manifested at all was the backfill I did for the first 5 days, but did single dates after that. The 5 days were combined into each single day, which was the bug.

Fixed in the latest script.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.