From Bugzilla Helper: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.8) Gecko/20020205 BuildID: The problem is that Japanese emails make my system use a Serif latin font. Sometimes I can get it to display a normal sans serif font and other times I get the horid one. It really does look bad, thats why I would like to get something "nice" like Helvetica to display correctly. Serif appears to be used no matter what I set in Preferences. Its hard to pin down where the problem is, but i have seen it siince i changed to 0.97 build I get emails with headers like MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-2022-jp" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit so the Charset is correctly selected for me by Mozilla Messenger. These are the fonts avaialable in Prefereces for Japanese Fonts. I've looked at them all in KDE Advanced editor and they all are sans serif it appears. wanatanbe looks the best, as the Japanese looks italic in wadalab. jis-fixed-jisx0208, 1983-0 misc-fixed-jisx0208, 1983-0 wadalab-gothic-jisx0208, 1983-0 wanatanbe-mincho-jisx0208, 1983-0 Composition is sometimes in Sans serif and sometimes in the Serif Times style one. EG if i create in UTF8 mode and send japanese as that it displays fine Reproducible: Sometimes Steps to Reproduce: 1.get an email in japanese. 2.reply to it 3.see the fonts are allways serif Actual Results: Horrible serif times fonts
I don't see this problem by using the latest build. Reporter, could you please try the latest nightly build to see if the problem still exists?
OK, I just created a fresh profile in build 2002022700 and the problem still exists by default the Japanese font is jis-fixed-jisx0208, 1983-0 after a new install but actually the font being used to display is wadalab-gothic-jisx0208, 1983-0 It seems that its always a Serif font even though I have configured to to use sans serif for variable width fonts. The one font that does "work" is misc-fixed-jisx0208, 1983-0, but this font looks horid. In unicode utf8 display the font used is what ever I specify, and then it uses another font for the japanese characters that are not in the helvetica or whatever I have setup. So to summarise I would like to be able to have the same display as UTF-8 which is currently a helvetica style font but this displays japanese very "nicely" in a similar sans serif font. Not like the minimal set of japanese fonts available in the Prefercens section. This should be possible IMO, any thoughts ji? >------- Additional Comment #1 From firstname.lastname@example.org 2002-02-28 11:48 ------ >I don't see this problem by using the latest build. Reporter, could you please >try the latest nightly build to see if the problem still exists?
Created attachment 72734 [details] illustrates the display using misc-fixed-jisx0208 font, even though this is not the ideal solution for japanese
Created attachment 72735 [details] illustrates how utf-8 japanese emails appear, this is a much "nicer" font for the ascii characters, adobe-helvetica This would be the desired font for Japanese charset as well, as it uses helvetica for the ascii and another fonts for the japanese. JG
CC'ed to Brian.
JG, are you talking about the default fonts we use for Japanese display on linux? Now it's currently set to serif, considering there are some linux systems, like RH6.2, which doesn't have sans serif fonts, I think this setting is right. And on a system which does have sans serif fonts, like RH7.2, I can set sans serif fonts for Japanese mail display, the changing of the font use is reflected in Mail, I have no problem with that.
Hi Ji, the problem is that utf8 japanese compostion and mail display comes out in a nice helvetica font for latin and a similar sans serif font for japanese. however email that is defined as japanese does not have font options to use hevetica and thus looks rather bad as I have to display in a worse sans serif font, the following are the only fonts available in the japanese font section. jis-fixed-jisx0208, 1983-0 misc-fixed-jisx0208, 1983-0 wadalab-gothic-jisx0208, 1983-0 wanatanbe-mincho-jisx0208, 1983-0 the solution would be too allow the same fonts to be specified as in utf8, but as with utf8 when japense apears it does not use the hevetica and it uses another sans serif style font for the japanse characters please see the screen shots. bascially the japanese fonts are restricted but the utf8 is not, this is what i would like to use. let me know if this exaplains it well enough? JG
Summary of this bug (it is difficult to understand for someone passing by...) The reporter says: > I get emails with headers like > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: text/plain; > charset="iso-2022-jp" [...] > In unicode utf8 display the font used is what ever I specify, and then it uses > another font for the japanese characters that are not in the helvetica or > whatever I have setup. [...] SUMMARY: The problem is that composition is in charset=utf8 and the UI allows the user to set a nice font for that. But reception is in charset="iso-2022-jp", and the user don't know how to set a font for that. WHAT TO DO: The back-end has been improved but the UI is still lagging behind, it is hoped that bug 95227 (actually, the work is in bug 61883) will allow the user to persist individual fonts (rather than just picking a default of "serif" all the time). In the meantime, since you said that "wanatanbe looks the best", you can manually add this to your user.js: user_pref("font.name.variable.ja", "wanatanbe-mincho-jisx0208.1983-0"); *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 95227 *** *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 95227 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Marked it as verified.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.