zdnet.co.jp/gamespot/ - Text in article stretched out

VERIFIED INVALID

Status

--
trivial
VERIFIED INVALID
17 years ago
4 years ago

People

(Reporter: ThomasBuffington, Assigned: momoi)

Tracking

Details

(URL)

Attachments

(2 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

17 years ago
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:0.9.8+)
Gecko/20020227
BuildID:    2002022703

Mozilla build 2002022703 version 0.9.8+ 
2002 home updated version of Windows XP

While viewing an article about the upcoming PS2 online network I noticed that
the characters in the text weren't displaying properly. I have the proper
programs needed for viewing the website however some .jpg files and text related
to the story could only be viewed by using the bscroll bar at the bottom of the
Mozilla browser.



Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to http://www.zdnet.co.jp/gamespot/gsnews/0202/13/news10.html as that is
where the article/problem is

Comment 1

17 years ago
Confirmed
2002022703/WinXP

I can't read Japanese, but the only problem looks like the Ad bar across the top
is partially hidden.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true

Comment 2

17 years ago
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting this bug!
Could you please take a screen shot for the wrong place? Thank you.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

17 years ago
Created attachment 71991 [details]
Displaying of error

Comment 4

17 years ago
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for quick response and the screen shot.
This is also what I got it, but it seems to be not a bug since the encoding we 
used is not correct.

We can see the correct display after changing character encoding from Western 
(ISO-8859-1) to Japanese (Shift_JIS) from menubar View > Character Coding.

Could you please try again? 
Thank you.
(Reporter)

Comment 5

17 years ago
Created attachment 72005 [details]
Correctly displayed with change in coding

As usual I have learned something new. Thanks so much Rui! It seems that after
switching the coding as you said the page displays properly. This is the first
time though that I had to switch coding for the page to display properly.
Everything that didn't display now displays & I no longer have to use the
browser bottom scrollbar to read the article.
(Assignee)

Comment 6

17 years ago
If you are in the habit of browsing Japanese pages a lot,
I suggest also that you set the following:

View | Character Coding | Auto-detect | Japanese

The reason that the page did not display correctly until you
changed the Character Coding meu is because the page did not 
declare what encoding it is using. Many pages do that and browsers
need not make any guesses. But some pages still don't tell browsers
what encoding it is using and for them, the above setting 
will engage the Japanese code detection automatically.

This should also help you a lot and will make your Japanese
page browsing near flawless. If this fails, it will be rare but
you can then manually change the Character Coding menu.

Resolving it as invalid.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID

Comment 7

17 years ago
Thanks a lot, everybody!
Verified.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(Assignee)

Comment 8

16 years ago
Moving all resolved/cloased Japan bugs to Japanese component.
Component: Asian → Japanese
QA Contact: ruixu → japanese
Product: Tech Evangelism → Tech Evangelism Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.